Post-Game Talk: Bent But Not Broken | Leafs Win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
All the analysis aside Leafers, that was a huge win. It gives me Mojo after a win like that. Keefe said pregame it was a much bigger game for us than it was for them at the team yearly picture. He told them its not just a picture, its a memory and it is up to them to look back on it with good memories. Ha, I don’t know but its true!

I wouldn’t want to be posting that Florida has a game in hand and that even a overtime loss ties us with their next game. This adds pressure to them and will fire them up so we need 12 more good games. Florida is not going away and each win now is big.

Teams that trap us are in for some trouble too because i seen the adjustments they made last night. Good on Keefe. To many drop passes were killing flow and we are a skating flow team.

awesome win

Reactions: Menzinger

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
The concussion spotters are useless. Guy takes a slapshot of the side of the head, nothing. Freddy got knocked in the head pretty good, nothing. What exactly do they do?
I believe they were both checked out. That's what they do. If there is no obvious symptoms there's not much more they can do?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'm not saying the Leafs played good in San Jose or Anaheim but man, they've faced 4 goalies in a row now that have played down right unreal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
All the analysis aside Leafers, that was a huge win. It gives me Mojo after a win like that. Keefe said pregame it was a much bigger game for us than it was for them at the team yearly picture. He told them its not just a picture, its a memory and it is up to them to look back on it with good memories. Ha, I don’t know but its true!

I wouldn’t want to be posting that Florida has a game in hand and that even a overtime loss ties us with their next game. This adds pressure to them and will fire them up so we need 12 more good games. Florida is not going away and each win now is big.

Teams that trap us are in for some trouble too because i seen the adjustments they made last night. Good on Keefe. To many drop passes were killing flow and we are a skating flow team.

awesome win
You know hockey I can tell from your posts. You saw that Tampa forechecked us with a 2 man system. We can beat that type of forecheck game. Where we have trouble is with those Cali teams who only send in 1 guy and have 4 guys back between red line and blue line. We will see how Preds come at us but I suspect they will neutral trap us too and force us to outside walls. And then we will see if we start dat drop pass and regroup breakout again unless Keefe has made a change as you suggested. Bottom line Mitch, Matty and Tavares can't get through that system. Willy can because he can really fly and his puck strength is so much better.

If this occurs then lets blast pucks at their goalie from red line. Maybe he lets in a real bad one and we win 1-0. or Preds take a penalty when they trap and we score on PP. This is best way to play that trap for us.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
You know hockey I can tell from your posts. You saw that Tampa forechecked us with a 2 man system. We can beat that type of forecheck game. Where we have trouble is with those Cali teams who only send in 1 guy and have 4 guys back between red line and blue line. We will see how Preds come at us but I suspect they will neutral trap us too and force us to outside walls. And then we will see if we start dat drop pass and regroup breakout again unless Keefe has made a change as you suggested. Bottom line Mitch, Matty and Tavares can't get through that system. Willy can because he can really fly and his puck strength is so much better.

If this occurs then lets blast pucks at their goalie from red line. Maybe he lets in a real bad one and we win 1-0. or Preds take a penalty when they trap and we score on PP. This is best way to play that trap for us.
Thanks bro. Drop passes were there last night. They are effective and the only smart play at times. Over use has been the issue. They didn’t over use it and forwarded the puck with less possession or nothing mentality. The reset was on and wingers timed their ice better with the defense and found good ice to collect passes. They actually still didn’t position on the wall high enough as wingers and not close enough to take as many pucks away on the wall as they could have. Still much better.

However it works out Nashville defends there seems to be a reset on how the transition will be implemented. There was speed through in to the offensive zone and less stationary players standing there dead in the water.

Seems like it will be a work in progress. Centers need to stay in there ice and wingers need to control the walls and dictate how far they want to push the defenseman on their side back by how low or how high they take the wall. I prefer mid wall for purely defense but keeping closer defensively to your net gives the dman more time to collect and shoot.

We could stand to control pucks on the wall better and players inthedefensive zone should know it is perfectly better to eat a puck on the wall instead of trying a risky play that is low percentage.

Watch Gauthier eat pucks on the wall. He is second best at it on theteam after Hyman. Wish he would hit more but i digress. They have been startingto eat pucks more. Subtle change many might miss but it is happening more and we see less low percentage pass attempts because of it. Added grind game that was completely not there has evolved recently and its effective.

Keefe adjusted well. Cat and mouse game continues because teams are scared of our offense. Fun to watch the team grow and add to their game now.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Obviously the odds are very small and this would be unrealistic, but the sample size is getting large.

Nylander at least in the race for the rocket next season? Like I said, highly doubtful he even comes close to winning but even being in the top 5-7 until the winner emerges would be amazing.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Man I have been impressed with AM the last while. No player is perfect of course, and all have bad moments, but he has been a horse with his body/aggressive play as of late.

It is like the light switch turned on and he realized his is stronger than most players lol

Reactions: kb and ACC1224

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I know, but I thought the NHL wants to be extra careful with that?
Did you see elbow to head Dermy took on last west coast Cali trip? This hit to head thing as far as penalty goes is not automatic clearly. Much like it does not mean auto concussion. But no one likes the reffing inconsistency. What ticks me off is guys who stay down on ice draw that penalty. If hockey continues to go like that then I'm out. Bottom line is refs manage games to make them as close as possible. I am convinced that is what da league is doing.
Let me ask you a hypothetical question: if it came out from one of Jake's friends (Boston) that he stayed down on ice on purpose to try to draw a penalty last playoffs how would you feel? If he told someone he knew it was Kadri and he knew he could draw it if he stayed down. You have to ask yourself if it would really really p*ss you off.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Does anyone know if that's normally Tavares game face? Every time he's on the ice my own body hurts just watching the guy. I couldn't help but laugh when he stick handled 3 guys Allison style with excruciating pain look on his face and then he got smoked with a hit

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I hate to say this but this team needs Leo and Martin back. No sense of team with these guys, no one sticks up for anyone

They really don't need them. As far as 'not sticking up' for their teammates, it's been better since getting Clifford. The Killorn incident though I'm glad no one did anything, because if they did I guarantee you a roughing penalty would have been called against them. 2-1 in the 3rd when you desperately need the points is exactly the time you let that stuff go.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
You would think after beating the "Cup contender" you are slated to playoff against for the second time in as many weeks, there would be lots of positive things to talk about today.

Main Narrative? Nobody stood up for poor Anderson! Look at all these other examples of teams that would never let this happen.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Did the Chicago goalie get credit for the win? Thought the Zamboni Driver was the 1st to do this.

No he didn't and I think it has to do with time played. Scott Foster (the accountant) played 14:01. Where as Ayers played 28:31, more than both Reimer and Mrazek. Maybe that's why he was credited with the win?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm still not sure if we are: good, bad; if we are going to build on wins or revert back to sloppy play, Can I comfortably cheer for a consistent team or cautiously watch us stumble our way to the finish line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->