Confirmed with Link: Benson Returns to Bako after Being Loaned to GCK Lions Swiss Div 2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
About a year ago this time. I was pretty high on Benson and slighly worried about Yamamoto. And then Yamamoto busted out and Benson didnt really stand out. I hope he has a strong year and makes an impression. I like the player.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Got a good feeling about Benson this year. Hopefully he gets some games in and comes into camp (whenever that may be) ready to earn a spot.

I hope he does well too, but I will believe it when I see it with Benson.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It's not exactly a great team / league - this is the farm club of ZSC (Zurich) Lions, but it's good to see him getting some ice-time anywhere.

Hopefully this is a good development season for Benson. It would be great if the oilers could start scoring on some (more) of their non-first-round picks.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
It's not exactly a great team / league - this is the farm club of ZSC (Zurich) Lions, but it's good to see him getting some ice-time anywhere.

Hopefully this is a good development season for Benson. It would be great if the oilers could start scoring on some (more) of their non-first-round picks.

Lol well we are doing pretty well with Jones, Bear and Marino. Ugh Marino

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Next year will be his make or break year, he had a cup of coffee this past season and next year the flat cap makes it tough to go get outside help so management will look in house to fill spots so opportunity will be there for Benson and he’s gonna have to make it happen. I think he has the tools to be a good complimentary player in the top 6 or bring secondary scoring in a third line roll.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Lol well we are doing pretty well with Jones, Bear and Marino. Ugh Marino

Yeah, that 2015 draft was unreal and I'm super high on both Bear and Jones. Hence the "more" qualifier in my post.

But honestly, I was thinking more in terms of forwards when I wrote that comment. Just look at the team's record outside the first round - The likes of Lander, Pitlick are probably the two "best" of the last 10 years and you have to go all the way back to Jarret Stoll to find a really good impact player.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, that 2015 draft was unreal and I'm super high on both Bear and Jones. Hence the "more" qualifier in my post.

But honestly, I was thinking more in terms of forwards when I wrote that comment. Just look at the team's record outside the first round - The likes of Lander, Pitlick are probably the two "best" of the last 10 years and you have to go all the way back to Jarret Stoll to find a really good impact player.

Agreed. Now imagine if we hadn't traded our first and second for Reinhart.... Almost every player in that draft we took would be on the roster right now...

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

CanmoreMike

Feb 27, 2002
#YEG

We need to keep in mind we aren’t the only team in the NHL looking to place AHL players and NHL pros. Every team is in the same boat so while this might just be a development league over there, my hope would be a lot of players from other teams make their way over and suddenly the competition and skill levels rise.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
So 2021 season has come, and Tyler Benson is once again slotted in the AHL. Five years of grinding development, adversity with injuries, and consistently a top 3 producer on any team he's been on. Feel bad for him, seeing Yamamoto, and Bouchard, drafted 1 year and 2 years later respectively, gain a permanent spot on the team. They 100% earned it, but I thought Benson did too.

Do you think he'll eventually earn a permanent spot, and be a career NHL'er? He already leads the Condors in points per game
Personally, I'd rather have a young hungry chip on the shoulder over ripe prospect Tyler Benson, than a washed up Kyle Turris or a declining Devin Shore. I'd include James Neal, but like Chiasson, when he's on, he's a force. Haven't seen that in a single game yet from Turris or Shore

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So 2021 season has come, and Tyler Benson is once again slotted in the AHL. Five years of grinding development, adversity with injuries, and consistently a top 3 producer on any team he's been on. Feel bad for him, seeing Yamamoto, and Bouchard, drafted 1 year and 2 years later respectively, gain a permanent spot on the team. They 100% earned it, but I thought Benson did too.

Do you think he'll eventually earn a permanent spot, and be a career NHL'er? He already leads the Condors in points per game
Personally, I'd rather have a young hungry chip on the shoulder over ripe prospect Tyler Benson, than a washed up Kyle Turris or a declining Devin Shore. I'd include James Neal, but like Chiasson, when he's on, he's a force. Haven't seen that in a single game yet from Turris or Shore
I would call Benson up to the taxi squad and send Turris to siberia.

His 2 cons are pretty big ones and partially the reason he hasn't made it yet.

His skating is mediocre, and so is his shot.

@voxel You've been watching the games, how has his skating looked this year?

Reactions: Gh0st

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I would call Benson up to the taxi squad and send Turris to siberia.

His 2 cons are pretty big ones and partially the reason he hasn't made it yet.

His skating is mediocre, and so is his shot.

I think Turris gets bought out at the end of the season, his buyout is pretty favourable for the cap next year only about a 180k hit.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Benson is really going to have to push his way into the lineup. He does not play or get recalled if he is essentially interchangeable with the other players already here.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
And a 733k cap hit the following reason.

Considering we can bury 1.075m of it I believe, we should just ride it out for the following year.

Rather than extending the pain again.

He is what he is at this point - a spare skill forward. Maybe he gets his act together, but likely not, and no need to do anything but ride it out as you said. His salary can be largely buried in the minors if need be.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
He’s caught in a numbers game right now, we’ve got too many forwards currently and in all honestly he’s probably better served play a big role in Bako then being one of the guys rotating between PB and taxi while getting a couple games here and there.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Gh0st

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

No preseason and lots of veteran NHL players made the decision for the Oilers. Benson shouldn't be hurt playing in the AHL and using the extra practice time to work on his skating and shot. Nothing wrong with playing all 3 years on an ELC in the AHL especially considering his injury issues in junior. I like Benson and from the sounds of it so does Tippett. I suspect he'll get his shot next year unless something disastrous happens or he's just way too good down there, in which case hooray.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Gh0st

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Turris gets bought out at the end of the season, his buyout is pretty favourable for the cap next year only about a 180k hit.
Way to early to put a pin on Turris. If he goes on a good stretch or shows some chemistry briefly in a scoring role, he's a pretty attractive option for Seattle.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For Benson, this is just an unfortunate situation this year. Under normal circumstances, he'd be one of the first considerations for callups when injuries occurred, but the taxi squad situation forced the team to put guys less likely the be hurt developmentally by not playing many games on the taxi squad.

What's best for him is to focus on having the best season possible with the Condors. Knowing that he's not likely to get any NHL games this year, he can focus completely on development and not worry about trying to impress to get a call up. Guaranteed, next year he's in their plans.

This isn't uncommon for non-first round picks to play out their full ELC in the minors. In fact, it's the most common course, so I wouldn't get too worked up about him not getting an opportunity this year as his focus needs to be on being the best version of himself by training camp next year. If he is showing well by that point, he'll stick or at least have a chance at being picked up on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad