Benoit: The elusive depth OFD we have been looking for

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Honestly I had no idea that Benoit could be an NHL player before this season, let alone a solid contributor to our team. Rarely a peep has been said about this guy before this year (mostly due to hyping of shiny prospects) so it is amazing to see this sleeper come up and perform admirably for us.

In the past we have tried to find good depth offensive defenceman in players like Campoli, Gilroy, Bell, and Picard; but now I think we have found our man. I really enjoy watching Benoit play, compared to watching the gaffs of the aforementioned players every night causing me to pull my hair out. He has the poise of a veteran player due to his long stint in the AHL, but also the skill to be a good player in the NHL. I think the only player in recent history to rival his ability to produce as a depth defenceman is Preissing, but those are also big shoes to fill so we should not put him in that league yet.

I for one would love to see Benoit in an Ottawa jersey for the foreable future. Get it done Murray.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
He was up 2 season ago but didn't look as good. I think the year in the KHL and just getting better with age has done a lot for him.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
He was up 2 season ago but didn't look as good. I think the year in the KHL and just getting better with age has done a lot for him.

Yup..he was looking really, really good this season for Bingo vs 2 yrs ago..

Too bad he's done w/ AHL hockey from a fan's point of view..

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I think he's been showing that he's too good for the AHL. If he gets squeezed out next year I really hope another team gives him a shot. I love it when a long time minor leaguer gets a shot and proves his worth.

SNAPshot

Jul 18, 2006
OTTAWA
Aside from getting the others some playing time, I've even wondered why he has been benched a few times. I notice him every game, keeps the puck moving and plays smart. He's sometimes outmatched physically, but for the most part he's very solid as a versatile 5-6th guy.

He needs some appreciation, good job André!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yup..he was looking really, really good this season for Bingo vs 2 yrs ago..

Too bad he's done w/ AHL hockey from a fan's point of view..

I think he will be back in Bingo next season, I'd be very surprised if he makes Ottawa out of training camp especially with Karlsson & Cowen returning next season. He may even go to another organization to get another opportunity in the NHL. I would much rather have Wiercioch & Gryba as our 3rd pairing.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Phillips
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I think he will be back in Bingo next season, I'd be very surprised if he makes Ottawa out of training camp especially with Karlsson & Cowen returning next season. He may even go to another organization to get another opportunity in the NHL. I would much rather have Wiercioch & Gryba as our 3rd pairing.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Phillips
Wiercioch - Gryba/Boroweicki

That's rough we need it to look more like

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - ?(legit mid pairing guy)
Phillips - Gryba
Benoit/ wiercoich

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Never give up on your dreams...

Lmao, that would never be our defense aragorn. What BK said is much realistic. Phillips playing top 4 next year? Easy... I think we challenge for the East next year and Murray goes and grabs a legit top 2-4 defender to give us that ability.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I still don't know.

We've had guys like Preissing and Pothier who haven't been able to stick over the long run.

burf

Mar 27, 2012
The other upside of Benoit is that he's a RHD, which is actually a bit of a weak spot for the Sens right now.

Next year for LHDs, Methot, Cowen, and Phillips are absolute locks for the team, with Wiercioch/Borocop as spares. I'm guessing Wiercioch will be on the team, with one of the 4 playing on their off-side.

For RHD, after Karlsson, all we have is Gryba and Ceci, and who knows if Ceci will be ready for the NHL. Unless Murray picks someone up to replace Gonchar, I could easily see Benoit drawing in as the 7th d-man.

That being said, I wouldn't be sad to see him go, but I hope that he lands in the NHL somewhere if he does leave the Sens. It'd suck if he had to go back to the AHL (even if he IS getting paid $300k/year there, which isn't that far of a drop from the minimum NHL salary) after proving this year that he's more than capable of playing in the show.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I still don't know.

We've had guys like Preissing and Pothier who haven't been able to stick over the long run.

Agreed, Benoit won't stick. Wiercioch/Ceci will take over his spot eventually. Bottom pairings are always constantly changed throughout ever defensive pairings in the league.

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Some next youte
Wier-Gryba

Eventually add in Ceci or someone.

source

Jul 13, 2008
He only has 4 points in 15 games.

I see no reason to peg him ahead of Wiercioch, Lundin, Gryba, or Borowieki for the #6 spot for 2013-2014, unless we don't replace Gonchar.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Love Benoit's skating, puck-handling, and willingness to block shots. He can also execute a proper one-timer, although it's not the hardest one out there. He definitely has his place in our top 6 right now.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
We let Derek Smith go who would look pretty good on our D right now. I'm glad Benoit came back from the KHL and is getting a shot with the big club. Love these long road journey stories.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I think he's been showing that he's too good for the AHL. If he gets squeezed out next year I really hope another team gives him a shot. I love it when a long time minor leaguer gets a shot and proves his worth.

Murray seems to be good at finding them and giving them a shot. Carkner and now Benoit.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
I like his progression since the start of the season. For the first two games he was hanging in and doing ok, but once he got his feet under him he has been very solid.

Since his try a couple of years ago, it looks like Luke Richardson has connected his brain to his stick and skates. Showing solid hockey smarts and does not panic. Perfect depth D to eat minutes and not give the game away.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The other upside of Benoit is that he's a RHD, which is actually a bit of a weak spot for the Sens right now.

Next year for LHDs, Methot, Cowen, and Phillips are absolute locks for the team, with Wiercioch/Borocop as spares. I'm guessing Wiercioch will be on the team, with one of the 4 playing on their off-side.

For RHD, after Karlsson, all we have is Gryba and Ceci, and who knows if Ceci will be ready for the NHL. Unless Murray picks someone up to replace Gonchar, I could easily see Benoit drawing in as the 7th d-man.

That being said, I wouldn't be sad to see him go, but I hope that he lands in the NHL somewhere if he does leave the Sens. It'd suck if he had to go back to the AHL (even if he IS getting paid $300k/year there, which isn't that far of a drop from the minimum NHL salary) after proving this year that he's more than capable of playing in the show.

he's actually a LHD. but you're right we need a RHD pretty badly. its nice to have gryba playing now, i think hes our only RHD :laugh: ceci is the only other guy. murray should look at a top 4 RHD for next season. mike green anyone? :naughty:

methot-karlsson
cowen-green
phillips-gyba

:naughty:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's rough we need it to look more like

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - ?(legit mid pairing guy)
Phillips - Gryba
Benoit/ wiercoich

That spot is being saved for Ceci, who could play in Ottawa next season if a d-man goes down. I assume he would be one of the first callups. BTW Ceci is a right hand shot.

Never give up on your dreams...

Lmao, that would never be our defense aragorn. What BK said is much realistic. Phillips playing top 4 next year? Easy... I think we challenge for the East next year and Murray goes and grabs a legit top 2-4 defender to give us that ability.

Geez, I hear this every yr & something always happens & the excuses start. You are assuming that all of our injured star players come back & play exactly as they did before they were injured & everybody else will continue to produce in exactly the same way & it may not be that easy. Alfredsson, Michalek & Gonchar may be gone or depreciating.

First, I assume that Gonchar's spot is reserved for Ceci eventually. I don't know if he will be able to step into it out of training camp but I think he could easily be the first callup. I also think that Phillips is not a top 4 any more but he will keep that spot warm until Ceci is NHL ready & I think he is close. Wiercioch will be on the roster because they will need his offence & Gryba will be on the team because he is not only very good defensively but he too can bring a little offence.

So many here said that JOB was a bust & I defended him & put him on my roster for this yr before he was called up last yr. I was ridiculed & here he is. I said that DD & Grant were good players & both would eventually play in Ottawa & again I was ridiculed & now we are seeing how well these two are playing in Ottawa. I said that Gryba too will eventually play in Ottawa before the injuries & callups, before he was even playing well in Bingo & some said he was a bust, now look at him. Too many here post their opinion in the moment & don't look at the bigger picture or possible future of the team & what is required. Murray is slowly building a big, tough team with skill that's hard to play against, with character & determination.

Wiercioch is a big man who can skate & some, myself included see him as a Bowmeester type player. Gryba is a big man who is a decent skater & could be seen as a shutdown defenceman but I see him as a good two way defenceman. Ceci IMO will be on the 2nd PP some day along with Wiercioch. He will also be an offensive defenceman but they will have to work with him a lot on his defensive play. He has good size & is also a decent skater. The only question is how long before he is NHL ready? Boroweicki is a rugged two way defenceman this team needs & will be able to share a spot & be an instant injury replacement. Ottawa has a very good defence in the making & just needs experience & time to develop into a great defence group. If a UFA is signed, my guess is it will be a short term solution until Ceci is ready. I think they put their money into a 1st line forward who can score.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
He's been good when called upon, but with limited upside I have a hard time believing we keep him next year. I'm sure somebody will pick him up as a bottom pairing guy. Much like D. Smith.

Berserker*

Benoit has played fairly well, but I don't know about the whole "elusive depth OFD we have been looking for". Last year before the Rundblad trade we had 4 offensive d men, this year before the Karlsson injury we had 4 offensive d men.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I still don't know.

I really don't know if Benoit will stick or not in the NHL for at least 2 or 3 more seasons. But Pothier and Priessing had the benefit of playing truly sheltered minutes on a 3rd pairing on very dominant teams. And they still got to play often with quality forwards even though they had sheltered minutes. Like Vermette and so on.

Benoit (and all the AHL call-up D-Men) have really played big minutes in most all situations and been very decent.

I think if Benoit is not in the teams plans he will end up on some NHL team next year as their 5/6/7 out of training camp. He won't be back in Bingo. Whether he succeeds after that in a different system who knows.

I think he is far more effective then Carkner was last season. Different players though.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That spot is being saved for Ceci, who could play in Ottawa next season if a d-man goes down. I assume he would be one of the first callups. BTW Ceci is a right hand shot.

Geez, I hear this every yr & something always happens & the excuses start. You are assuming that all of our injured star players come back & play exactly as they did before they were injured & everybody else will continue to produce in exactly the same way & it may not be that easy. Alfredsson, Michalek & Gonchar may be gone or depreciating.

First, I assume that Gonchar's spot is reserved for Ceci eventually. I don't know if he will be able to step into it out of training camp but I think he could easily be the first callup. I also think that Phillips is not a top 4 any more but he will keep that spot warm until Ceci is NHL ready & I think he is close. Wiercioch will be on the roster because they will need his offence & Gryba will be on the team because he is not only very good defensively but he too can bring a little offence.

So many here said that JOB was a bust & I defended him & put him on my roster for this yr before he was called up last yr. I was ridiculed & here he is. I said that DD & Grant were good players & both would eventually play in Ottawa & again I was ridiculed & now we are seeing how well these two are playing in Ottawa. I said that Gryba too will eventually play in Ottawa before the injuries & callups, before he was even playing well in Bingo & some said he was a bust, now look at him. Too many here post their opinion in the moment & don't look at the bigger picture or possible future of the team & what is required. Murray is slowly building a big, tough team with skill that's hard to play against, with character & determination.

Wiercioch is a big man who can skate & some, myself included see him as a Bowmeester type player. Gryba is a big man who is a decent skater & could be seen as a shutdown defenceman but I see him as a good two way defenceman. Ceci IMO will be on the 2nd PP some day along with Wiercioch. He will also be an offensive defenceman but they will have to work with him a lot on his defensive play. He has good size & is also a decent skater. The only question is how long before he is NHL ready? Boroweicki is a rugged two way defenceman this team needs & will be able to share a spot & be an instant injury replacement. Ottawa has a very good defence in the making & just needs experience & time to develop into a great defence group. If a UFA is signed, my guess is it will be a short term solution until Ceci is ready. I think they put their money into a 1st line forward who can score.

I seriously doubt Ceci is going to get much of a chance next season... unless we are absolutely decimated with injuries again. With the NHL success of Gryba, Borowiecki and Wiercioch he is farther down on the depth chart. I doubt sincerely if the Senators want him to do anything but play in the AHL next year... even if he is very good. He could completely blow everyone away in training camp I guess and make it impossible to send him down... but he would need to be astoundingly good to make the NHL team.

My thinking is Murray tries to sign a very good veteran D as a UFA. A clear top 4 or top 3 D-Man.... even a true star. He could miss out on getting one and if he does he won't sign a retread just to get a body. It is quality UFA D or none at all. Gonchar may well be resigned if we don't sign another D-Man.

Then Karlsson, Cowen, Methot, Phillips have spots. 2 of the AHLers are going to be the 6/7 guys.. or at least be on the roster all year. So that leaves no spot for Ceci.. barring injuries whether we sign a UFA or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->