Benoit Poulliot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
So, does anyone have any insights into how this kid is doing? He's really dropped off the radar screen here in the Twin Cities since the season started. Haven't heard a word about him. But I figure there must be some folks here who've seen him play recently, or have heard some reports on other sites. How's he looking? Anyone know?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
32 points in 21 games. Not that great when you compare it to the league leaders, but at least better than what he was doing earlier in the year.

Transported Upstater

Jon Prescription said:
32 points in 21 games. Not that great when you compare it to the league leaders, but at least better than what he was doing earlier in the year.

I think he will float on occasion and coast along on his tremendous talent. But those occasions are rarer now than before.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
Well, I took Pouliot 3rd overall ABOVE Ryan in my FHL hockey pool draft so Ive been following him. I watched him over the summer in the canada development camp in Whistler BC and Ive seen him on tv once this year, so not alot. However, I got a pretty good handle on him. Hes got tremendous skill like you've heard Im sure. What its going to boil down to is if he has the work ethic. I think he does, he shows desire and talks like he wants to be an integral part to an NHL team. He seems to be straying away from his talents IMO though. His biggest asset is his speed, he can absolutely fly for his size and I think hes not skating enough. He needs to get back to that. Hes lately been using his size to go in front of the net and pot some garbage goals. All of that of course is good, but I just hope he leaves the rough and tough kinda job to the rough and tough guys. I dont want him to be a ***** be he needs to focus on putting the puck in the net and not his glove in someones face. He definately is getting rattled when the games get rougher. I still think he'll be a top liner though I think he fits the sort of mold of Alexei Yashin, I dunno if Im going to want him to be my GO TO GUY in the future. Good thing I have Spezza....

CH Wizard

Jon Prescription said:

That's impressive for someone who's playing for Sudbury (a defensive minded team).

Transported Upstater

DoobieDoobieDo said:
He almost made the Wild team...

And he would have been out of place in the NHL. He has much potential as anyone not from Nova Scotia in the '05 draft, but he's still a bit raw.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Actually Thelen didn't ;) And Koivu didn't ;)...Burns until Lemaire had a brain fart looked like he was doing something wonderful on defense and Bouchard was screwed both by the CHL and the NHL...

AgentNaslund*

what ever is happening to him, you will see him very soon in an upcomming tournament ;)

Transported Upstater

DoobieDoobieDo said:
Actually Thelen didn't ;) And Koivu didn't ;)...Burns until Lemaire had a brain fart looked like he was doing something wonderful on defense and Bouchard was screwed both by the CHL and the NHL...

I hate what Minnesota has done to Burns...

WILDTATE10

Jul 24, 2005
I hate what Minny is doing to Burns as well. Why doesnt Lemaire kepp him on D. He was looking like are best Defensmen and for whatever reason Lemair moves are best or second best D to Forward.

Is Pouliot going to be playing for canada or whatever countrys hes from in the WJC?

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
WILDTATE10 said:
I hate what Minny is doing to Burns as well. Why doesnt Lemaire kepp him on D. He was looking like are best Defensmen and for whatever reason Lemair moves are best or second best D to Forward.

Exactly. He was on the road to becoming a very, very good defensemen -- he looked like our best, in stretches. I don't see what moving him to forward again is really going to accomplish; his future looked bright on D.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
DoobieDoobieDo said:

That's because Thelen sucks.

And Koivu sucked when he was drafted but has improved into a great prospect since then.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Eb0la11 said:
Well, I took Pouliot 3rd overall ABOVE Ryan in my FHL hockey pool draft so Ive been following him. I watched him over the summer in the canada development camp in Whistler BC and Ive seen him on tv once this year, so not alot. However, I got a pretty good handle on him. Hes got tremendous skill like you've heard Im sure. What its going to boil down to is if he has the work ethic. I think he does, he shows desire and talks like he wants to be an integral part to an NHL team. He seems to be straying away from his talents IMO though. His biggest asset is his speed, he can absolutely fly for his size and I think hes not skating enough. He needs to get back to that. Hes lately been using his size to go in front of the net and pot some garbage goals. All of that of course is good, but I just hope he leaves the rough and tough kinda job to the rough and tough guys. I dont want him to be a ***** be he needs to focus on putting the puck in the net and not his glove in someones face. He definately is getting rattled when the games get rougher. I still think he'll be a top liner though I think he fits the sort of mold of Alexei Yashin, I dunno if Im going to want him to be my GO TO GUY in the future. Good thing I have Spezza....

In addendum to this, Pouliot has an excellent shot. This makes him very valuable on the powerplay as the quarterback. If properly developed, he'll be one of the few players in the NHL who can regularly beat goalies with clean, unimpeded shots.

Transported Upstater

WILDTATE10 said:

Is Pouliot going to be playing for canada or whatever countrys hes from in the WJC?

Didn't Burns play D most of his life, until he reached Brampton?

I think he's a defenseman. I also think he was brought in WAY too early.

I'm glad you didn't interpret my post as something negative towards Minnesota in general; I just don't like how they've handled Burns' development.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Ben missed tonight's game with a groin strain. Not sure if he'll play the rest of the weekend, but Sudbury will be on Sportsnet on Sunday the 4th against Oshawa at 7 pm so you might get a chance to watch him then.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Its not hard looking like the best D man on the Wild. I like Burns at forward. He should turn out out to be a strong power plyer with skill and in a pinch can still play the blue line. In our system a Mitchel or Kuba will do just fine. But with only Gaborik up front we need wings and scorers. Koivu, O'Sullivan, Poulliot, Gaborik, Voloshanko and Burns will make a nice top 6 in a few.

Sherlock

Aug 2, 2005
Minne-snow-ta
MN_Gopher said:
Its not hard looking like the best D man on the Wild. I like Burns at forward. He should turn out out to be a strong power plyer with skill and in a pinch can still play the blue line. In our system a Mitchel or Kuba will do just fine. But with only Gaborik up front we need wings and scorers. Koivu, O'Sullivan, Poulliot, Gaborik, Voloshanko and Burns will make a nice top 6 in a few.

Maybe he will make a good forward, but my problem is with the way they keep moving him around. I would have rather have them keep him in one position for a couple years and let him develop.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Duff88 said:
What do you mean by the CHL?

Bouchard was clearly a step ahead of everyone else in the CHL. He needed to work on his defense but given he was in the QMJHL, not really known for their defensive work, he wasn't given much of an option, neither was Minnesota. Either call the kid up or have him learn some poor defense and continue ripping the league up and not really getting challenged. If they dropped the 20 rule, Bouchard could've been in the AHL where he belonged.

Burns WANTS to be on defense, he said it himself that he was comfortable on defense more than foward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->