Benoit Poulliot - Ready or Not?

LuLuBelle

Jul 8, 2005
I think if you ask anyone who watched Pouliot quite a bit in the OHL last year, they'll tell you he's nowhere near ready for the NHL. Benoit has yet to dominate at the OHL level. He almost seems to have an attitude about him. He shows flashes of brilliance, but rarely shows effort over 60min. He's fun to watch coming in one-on-one on a defender, but he's got a ways to go.

I think he's got to play one year in the AHL at the very least and probably 2 or more. He's got to bulk up a bit, get his head on straight, and then put forth the effort needed to be a top line forward in the NHL.

I can't help but think he'll be a bust, but I hope I'm wrong.

Amen! :clap: I don't think he will be a bust really. but you are right on about his being nowhere near ready. He never dominated at the OHL level, like you said. He wasn't even consistantly the best player on his own team.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Living in Sudbury and going to last years World Juniors, I got to see Pouliot play maybe 30-40 times last season. During the OHL regular season, Pouliot was a disappointment to say the least and I'll go as far as saying he didn't look interested in taking hits, or playing with effort at all. The World Juniors, which I'm sure quite a few people got to watch him play he showed a physical aspect to his skill and speed game, which to me, showed that Pouliot when he applies himself has the potential to be a dominant player. Last year's OHL playoffs was the best Pouliot showing I have seen in the 2 years I've been watching him. He pretty much singlehandedly dominated the first round against Kingston before getting injured in the second round. There's no question he has an NHL skillset right now and he's also a dynamic, smooth skater. He needs to put on weight bigtime and become a little better defensively to take the next step IMO. However, the most important thing for him will be coming to play every night which didn't happen in Sudbury this past year. The good thing about Minnesota is they have a coach in Jacques Lemaire that, in my mind will help Pouliot develop into a star in the league. Next year, I don't think there's much question where he should be: The AHL, but after that I think he should be on the Wild's roster to start 2007-08.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
yeah.... he's ready alright....

for about 2 years in the AHL....

Im not that impressed with Benoit... I've been watching him play since major bantam....

I think he'll be one of those guys who will get some points eventually in the NHL but it's going to take him longer to get their IMO

The Big E

Oct 5, 2005
Minneapolis
This kids a 100% bust IMO...
:shakehead

yeah.... he's ready alright....

for about 2 years in the AHL....

Im not that impressed with Benoit... I've been watching him play since major bantam....

I think he'll be one of those guys who will get some points eventually in the NHL but it's going to take him longer to get their IMO
Would you care to elaborate? Obviously, you've seen his development and aren't impressed whereas Stoll16 is much more optimistic. Has he not improved that much since Bantam? I mean ... I had guys I played with that where great stickhandlers in PeeWee, but never really learned to pass and guys that had great shots, but never really learned to release it quicker. I've seen incredibly awesome players at the High School level here in MN that had been probably exploiting that one great aspect to their game, but couldn't adapt to the college game.

As an interested Wild, fan, I'd like to know...

Thanks!

The Big E

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I've seen him play quite a bit too. Problem with him is that he plays only when he feels like it (like when he knows scouts are kicking around, I guess). Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen him play much when he was in the mood, which is to say I've never really been impressed. I couldn't believe all the hype prior to when he was drafted and how high he got picked - I kept telling myself "are we talking about the same guy?"

Don't get me wrong, he's got the tools (skates beautifully, decent shot, good vision), but he needs an attitude adjustment. We'll see what the Wild can do with him.

Wild Thing

Child... please.
Feb 18, 2003
Way Down South
Visit site
...has trouble with consistency...it all revolves around his drive... but he's a project and always has been.

He almost seems to have an attitude about him. He shows flashes of brilliance, but rarely shows effort over 60min...

During the OHL regular season, Pouliot was a disappointment to say the least and I'll go as far as saying he didn't look interested in taking hits, or playing with effort at all... the most important thing for him will be coming to play every night which didn't happen in Sudbury this past year.

Problem with him is that he plays only when he feels like it (like when he knows scouts are kicking around, I guess). Unfortunately, I don't think I've seen him play much when he was in the mood, which is to say I've never really been impressed. I couldn't believe all the hype prior to when he was drafted and how high he got picked - I kept telling myself "are we talking about the same guy?"

Don't get me wrong, he's got the tools (skates beautifully, decent shot, good vision), but he needs an attitude adjustment...

See, this is what worries me the most about this guy. The story on him when he was drafted was that up until his draft year, he'd been inconsistent, borderline lazy, had an attitude problem, lousy work ethic, tended to coast along on his talent, etc.; but that in his draft year, he'd suddenly found religion and turned his attitude around 180 degrees - which was supposedly how he went from a relative unknown to the 4th overall pick in one year. And now here we are again, hearing the same old thing - lazy, only plays when he wants to play, inconsistent effort... all the things I hate in a hockey player, especially a young one who supposedly has a lot to prove.

I'm really concerned about this guy. It seems to be a pattern that he keeps going back to, and I only hope Jacques and company can find a way to get through to him. Thanks to everyone who shared their opinion in this thread; i really appreciated hearing from so many people who've had the chance to see him play this past year.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Like he said today at rookie camp.

he can no longer take stupid penalties, he admitted he took too many and must stop that, cuz he's not playing with 18 year olds anymore it's grown men.

I'm not worried about Pouliot, if he pulls that stuff under Lemaire he will be benched. It's up to him, and I don't think anyone here knows him enough to know what his make up is all about.

I'll take a wait and see on him, I'm just glad we have him.

vitogor

Oct 26, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
I'll take a wait and see on him, I'm just glad we have him.

That's exactly my stance on the kid as well. If he is ready- fine, bring him up and let him play in MN. If he isn't- that's fine too, AHL is a great development league, send him there. Even if his laziness and inconsistency take the better of him down the road, at the very least he'll still be a good trade bait, there will always be a team willing to take a chance on the underachieving wonder kid. So in either case, I'm not worried.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
http://www.startribune.com/1330/story/582212.html

Well, that size-speed ratio has improved. Pouliot, a 6-3 forward, was a silky smooth but razor-thin 175 pounds a year ago when he came to Wild training camp. This year, with months of weight training behind him, he is pushing 200 pounds.

"I went into the gym this year at 180," Pouliot said. "Now I weigh in at 196, up 16 pounds in just one summer, which is good."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad