Benoit Pouliot VS Bobby Ryan VS Anze Kopitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Because the draf will probably be held in more than a year, Kopitar will get some real development, instead of playing in SloveniA. He'll be in the SEL and will get the attention he didn't get before because of where he comes from. IMO he has the most potential behind Crosby in this crop, so He might be 2nd or 3rd behind Johnson when all is said and done.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
freakazoid said:
Because the draf will probably be held in more than a year, Kopitar will get some real development, instead of playing in SloveniA. He'll be in the SEL and will get the attention he didn't get before because of where he comes from. IMO he has the most potential behind Crosby in this crop, so He might be 2nd or 3rd behind Johnson when all is said and done.

What about Kopitar tells you he has the most talent outside of Crosby? How many times have you seen him?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Barnaby said:
What about Kopitar tells you he has the most talent outside of Crosby? How many times have you seen him?
mix of size, scoring ability and hands. He's like the Vanek of this year though I heard he has a much better work ethic but can sometimes be a bit sloppy. He also has shades of Jagr in him supposedly, that alone gets a lot of scouts water-eyed.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I think that Kopitar could go as high as 3rd overall. If the team that is drafting is in need on a big scoring center he could get picked behind Crosby and Johnson.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Habsfan 32 said:
I think that Kopitar could go as high as 3rd overall. If the team that is drafting is in need on a big scoring center he could get picked behind Crosby and Johnson.

LoL I love how you calmy say Crosby and Johnson as if Johnson is the sure-fire #2 prospect. Central Scouting has Johnson at #5, ISS has Johnson out of the top 5, and Redline has him at #3.

Safir*

Leachmeister2000 said:
mix of size, scoring ability and hands. He's like the Vanek of this year though I heard he has a much better work ethic but can sometimes be a bit sloppy. He also has shades of Jagr in him supposedly, that alone gets a lot of scouts water-eyed.

Isn't he also compared to Dany Heatley?

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
hmm ... most of what I've heard about Kopitar has him pegged as a great playmaking center ... but is there some scoring punch in the kid as well (a la Jagr/Heatley/Vanek)?

freakazoid

May 9, 2005
Canada
Barnaby said:
I haven't seen him that much, 2 games in SEL and this WC ofcourse, but the team he is on, it's hard to judge him. Anywhere the word "potential" was mentionned in any report about the kid, the was never a Johnson/Pouliot/Ryan or anyone except Crosby being mentionned as a guy with a higher ceiling. The guy is very raw right now, and makes some sloppy plays, but that will change now that he is in a good development league. The only reason Johnson might go first is because the team picking at 2 needs a franchise defenceman, but a team like Atlanta I see them taking Kopitar at 2.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
monster_bertuzzi said:
LoL I love how you calmy say Crosby and Johnson as if Johnson is the sure-fire #2 prospect. Central Scouting has Johnson at #5, ISS has Johnson out of the top 5, and Redline has him at #3.

Well he looks like a franchise defenseman so I think he will go 2nd overall but it all depends wich team is picking.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
If Phoenix could take Blake Wheeler where they did last year, then I don't see any reason why some team couldn't project a raw talent like Kopitar into the #3 spot, given Kopitar's reported talents. :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
monster_bertuzzi said:

Fair enough, although if the team picking second is in need of a defenseman, Johnson will be the one. If not, then someone like BRULE, Ryan, Pouliot, etc could be the man.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:

ISS has him at #3 and Redline has him at #5. I would take Johnson at #2 but both Redline and ISS would take Pouliot above him.

As for Ryan, Pouliot and Kopitar, I have them ranked 4th-6th. Pouliot at 4th because he has the most raw talent out of the bunch and the highest upside. I keep thinking of guys like Carter and Perry who made big jumps in development after their draft year and I think Pouliot may do that next year. Kopitar is slightly ahead of Ryan because he is a better skater.

Vikke

ViktorAllvin twitter
Feb 22, 2004
Västervik, Sweden
twitter.com
Kopi is very mature for his age when he plays.
I've seen him several times this season, I'd pick him as #3 after Crosby and Johnson (if there's no need to check franchise needs etc, too).

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Ryan has the most advanced games, so his upside is relatively limited right now... Pouliot is an example of the Ladd Effect, and that scares me. Surprised people never mention that.

Kopitar is playing at the highest level of competition right now, and he's one of the best players in the league. I think the knock about him being Slovenian is utterly ridiculous... I wouldn't give a **** if he was Lebanese, he's a good hockey player. By the way, beloved Boris Valabik is Slovenian also.

My top ten is now:
2. Johnson
3. Kopitar
4. Brule
5. Ryan
6. Pouliot
7. Bourret
8. Zagrapan
9. Latendresse
10. Hanzal

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
BobMarleyNYR said:
My top ten is now:
2. Johnson
3. Kopitar
4. Brule
5. Ryan
6. Pouliot
7. Bourret
8. Zagrapan
9. Latendresse
10. Hanzal
Not a bad list at all. I think there could be some movement in the 2-6 slots but you have the right idea as far as I'm concerned.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
BobMarleyNYR said:
Ryan has the most advanced games, so his upside is relatively limited right now... Pouliot is an example of the Ladd Effect, and that scares me. Surprised people never mention that.

Probably because it's 2 completely diff players in two completely diff situations.

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
my top 10 list goes...

1. Crosby
2. Pouliot
3. Brule
4. Ryan
5. Johnson
6. Kopitar
7. Bourret
8. Latendresse
9. Zagrapan
10. Hanzal

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:

Kopitar is playing at the highest level of competition right now, and he's one of the best players in the league. I think the knock about him being Slovenian is utterly ridiculous... I wouldn't give a **** if he was Lebanese, he's a good hockey player. By the way, beloved Boris Valabik is Slovenian also.

So, let me understand...you're worried about the Ladd factor because you fear Pouliot will struggle the way Ladd has. Yet, you're not worried about Kopitar being Slovenian, because he won't go backwards either, because Valabik is also Slovenian.

The first problem with that logic, is that for one thing, Valabik's had a much worse year than Ladd. Not to mention the fact it's pointless to bring them in because who knows how Ladd and Valabik will do long-term, and Kopitar's about as comparable to Valabik, as Ladd is to Pouliot, so that's defenitely a dead end.

And of course, the fact Valabik isn't Slovenian, is your second problem.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Hossa said:
So, let me understand...you're worried about the Ladd factor because you fear Pouliot will struggle the way Ladd has. Yet, you're not worried about Kopitar being Slovenian, because he won't go backwards either, because Valabik is also Slovenian.

The first problem with that logic, is that for one thing, Valabik's had a much worse year than Ladd. Not to mention the fact it's pointless to bring them in because who knows how Ladd and Valabik will do long-term, and Kopitar's about as comparable to Valabik, as Ladd is to Pouliot, so that's defenitely a dead end.

And of course, the fact Valabik isn't Slovenian, is your second problem.

You're right, sorry about the Valabik thing, I read somewhere he was Slovenian.

But I wouldn't bring logic into the equation, 'cause that first paragraph is totally illogical. You're straddling two different points here, and there's no way to lump it into one, if you wanna talk logic.

Um, Pouliot scares me a little because, like Ladd, he emerged from oblivion this year, this has nothing to do with Ladd's performance. The point is he had a break-out year; could easily be a fluke... for his sake I hope it isn't. This has nothing to do with Kopitar and it is not a suggestion that Pouliot and Ladd are similar players, OK?

Now, to address the OTHER subject. Yeah, Kopitar is Slovenian... and no extrapolation as to his ability should come from there. As I said before, you have to be Pejorative Slured to limit him based on nationality, he's at the very top of the SweJE. Olaf Kolzig was born is South Africa, raised in Germany, Owen Nolan is from Ireland. I can no longer use Valabik in my case, but had he been Slovenian, he was chosen 10th... but he isn't Slovenian. :biglaugh:

So it was you that tied it all together and made a conclusion, but I hope this clarifies my point a little more.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
eaton28 said:
my top 10 list goes...

1. Crosby
2. Pouliot
3. Brule
4. Ryan
5. Johnson
6. Kopitar
7. Bourret
8. Latendresse
9. Zagrapan
10. Hanzal

Johnson 5th? What's the reasoning? I mean, I figure if Washington picks 2nd or 3rd they will take him in a heartbeat... I could even see them giving and a leg arm to move up for him.

Props for Latendresse and Hanzal though. I think Zagrapan (with enough pure talent to be top 5) will go 11-14 because he's plays like a feather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad