Benning vs Jones/Persson/etc.

Who would you play on the bottom pairing?

• Total voters

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Jones/Lagesson-Persson.

Benning is not 1M better than Persson.

Russell is also not 3M+ better than Jones and Lagesson

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Jones/Lagesson-Persson.

Benning is not 1M better than Persson.

Russell is also not 3M+ better than Jones and Lagesson

While I agree with this I think we need to take stock of where we are.

We are in the middle of a tight playoff race. The only reason you clear out cap space is to improve the team.

I'm not sure if clearing cap space and bringing in a forward or whatever will help the team that much more than just having a rock solid bottom pairing.

Russell is not 3mill better than those guys in a bottom pairing role but he still is considerably better than Jones and instrumental in covering for Jones when they play together.

Benning is more expendable but also is noticeably better than Jones.

Laggesson is still an unknown unfortunately.

Persson would be my pick based on his solid play with Klefbom but he hasn't played with anyone else much and I don't know how he would look with another rookie.

In short the best pairing is obviously Russell and Benning to round out our 6 guys. Best chance of winning. I don't think the cap savings/deadline pickup would cover the spread and improve the team.

Before we go making any deadline forward moves I think bringing up Benson would make the most sense. Yamamoto has made such a big impact that route should at least be tried.

In the offseason you trade one or both of Russell/Benning to bring in someone else since we "have" to make some room for waiver non eligible defense. Right now we can enjoy the depth.

The only way I see moving Russell right now is if someone like Pageau is available and able to sign long term.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Trade Russell in the off season. Should have a decent chance to do it given he'll be in the last year of his contract. Would probably get a one year wonky contract back, but it might be a better fit.

However, keep him for the rest of this season. If we are headed for the playoffs, d-men are a valuable commodity when the bodies start dropping, especially veteran ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->