Benning vs Gillis

Who was the better GM?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Do GM's refer to the GM Textbook when it is their time in the draft to make the choice and when its the scouting departments turn?

"Hey Brackett! Step off my boy, not your turn. I got this." - Benning

This is dumb.

The GMs take all the information provided by the scouts and discuss what each thinks and the GM makes a call based on that. I’m sure sometimes all the scouts n GM agree on the BPA, sometimes not. He is familiar with the options, has at least watched some footage and makes the final call between them

Later rounds, they will have less and less influence on it, to th the point of entirely trusting a scout regarding a player they haven’t even seen before.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
This is dumb.

The GMs take all the information provided by the scouts and discuss what each thinks and the GM makes a call based on that. I’m sure sometimes all the scouts n GM agree on the BPA, sometimes not. He is familiar with the options, has at least watched some footage and makes the final call between them

Later rounds, they will have less and less influence on it, to th the point of entirely trusting a scout regarding a player they haven’t even seen before.

My new mantra

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I tabulated the average age of each team's top-10 scorers. I figured we would be around the middle somewhere. The results were actually .... surprising.

TeamPTST10Age
Columbus7723.8
Arizona5524.2
New Jersey7824.7
Florida7524.8
Tampa Bay10024.9
Philadelphia8125.2
Calgary7825.5
Colorado8025.6
NY Islanders7025.6
Nashville9825.7
Carolina7125.7
Winnipeg9125.9
Edmonton6425.9
Toronto8726.0
Vegas9326.1
Boston9426.3
Buffalo5626.4
Dallas8226.5
Chicago6826.5
Montréal6226.5
Ottawa5726.7
Anaheim8026.9
NY Rangers6727.3
Los Angeles7927.5
San Jose8127.6
Minnesota8527.8
Pittsburgh8427.8
Washington8327.9
Detroit6328.5
St. Louis7729.1
Vancouver5929.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
...yes, that's right. The very bottom.

Put in graphical form (forgive the crudity) :

resuylts2.png

love that visualization.

but why on earth would this be surprising? this team still relies on a broken down pair of sedins, who are the eighth oldest players in the league, to score. the last two summers we benning (gotta get used to not saying we) signed vanek, gagner, del zotto, and eriksson. and other than horvat and boeser we don't the team doesn't have any young players contributing offense because either benning ships trades them away for mid-20s age gap players or lets his coaches bury them so the team can "compete."

This thread in a nutshell:

whichone_zpsfkb7mrey.png

are you kidding me? that city of the future is so snobby, with its infrastructure and what looks like a commitment to environmental self-sufficiency. i bet those jerks make their kids read books instead of letting them throw rocks at each other. i literally want to fight that photograph it thinks it's better than me.

Bertuzzi, lol. Bert scored more in his rookie year than Jake in the last 3 years combined.

i can think of one single example of a top pick that eventually turned into a good player whose first three years were in the same universe as how lost virtanen has mostly looked and how little he has contributed offensively.

Position: C • Shoots: Left
6-5, 220lb (196cm, 99kg)
Born: November 24, 1971 (Age: 46-108d) in Toronto, Ontario ca
Draft: Detroit, 1st round (3rd overall), 1990 NHL Entry
SeasonAgeTmGPGAPTS+/-
1990-9119DET5831215-12
1991-9220DET35610169
1992-9321DET73151732-6
1993-9422DET7831427334
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
he happens to be one of my least favourite players of all time.

Last edited:

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
LOL. I was using stats to prove that Sutter isn't a good player. But I'm glad you openly admit to banning members for using reality.

Sooooo ironic that you would use the word "reality" at the end of that.

You were banned for being so detached from reality! :laugh:

FACT: You did use fancy stats to try to prove Sutter is a bad mentor.

And I think Chris banned you for something similar pre-Benning...

"sitting on the sidelines" ;)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
And followed up that 18 goal season with a 10 goal season then a 7 goal season. He was tracking so well and the Islanders so jubilated about it they gave him away for a vet who's best days were well behind him
Tracking well, when was the last time Virtanen tracked well? He scored 19 points in almost a full season down in the AHL last season in his what D+3/4 season?

Todd scored 7 goals in one season? Lol, did you miss the part where he scored 6 goals in Vancouver and 7 goals for NYI in the year he was traded?
Todd went from 30ish points to 20ish then back to 30ish and then 40pt pace in his injured season and then up to 50 and then up and up.

If you are going to make an argument, educate yourself first.

Reactions: racerjoe

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
love that visualization.

but why on earth would this be surprising? this team still relies on a broken down pair of sedins, who are the eighth oldest players in the league, to score. the last two summers we benning (gotta get used to not saying we) signed vanek, gagner, del zotto, and eriksson. and other than horvat and boeser we don't have any young players contributing offense because either benning ships trades them away for mid-20s age gap players or lets his coaches bury them so the team can "compete."

are you kidding me? that city of the future is so snobby, with its infrastructure and what looks like a commitment to environmental self-sufficiency. i bet those jerks make their kids read books instead of letting them throw rocks at each other. i literally want to fight that photograph it thinks it's better than me.

i can think of one single example of a top pick that eventually turned into a good player whose first three years were in the same universe as how lost virtanen has mostly looked and how little he has contributed offensively.

6-5, 220lb (196cm, 99kg)
SeasonAgeTmGPGAPTS+/-
1990-9119DET5831215-12
1991-9220DET35610169
1992-9321DET73151732-6
1993-9422DET7831427334
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Well if you look at Primeau's production, he actually went PPG in the AHL and the 2nd 16pts in 35 games is still a much much much better pace than Virtanen even though it is a completely different era.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
love that visualization.

but why on earth would this be surprising? this team still relies on a broken down pair of sedins, who are the eighth oldest players in the league, to score. the last two summers we benning (gotta get used to not saying we) signed vanek, gagner, del zotto, and eriksson. and other than horvat and boeser we don't have any young players contributing offense because either benning ships trades them away for mid-20s age gap players or lets his coaches bury them so the team can "compete."

I didn't expect us to be dead last. I figured at least the wings or the sharks would be behind us, maybe a couple others.

I underestimated how many teams have 19 and 20 year olds making significant contributions.

I also didn't want anyone to think I purposefully chose a methodology that would rank us last. I rather chose one that was simple and was surprised we were last.

Imagine if the Sedins are retained. Yikes.

6-5, 220lb (196cm, 99kg)
SeasonAgeTmGPGAPTS+/-
1990-9119DET5831215-12
1991-9220DET35610169
1992-9321DET73151732-6
1993-9422DET7831427334
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Heh.

I think we should all be preparing for Virtanen to be shipped out of town this off season. We are seeing the same kind of pr snubs we saw with McCann, where Jake isn't mentioned in videos and quotes promoting our young talent. I am preparing for a kassian-Prust style mentorship trade.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Tracking well, when was the last time Virtanen tracked well? He scored 19 points in almost a full season down in the AHL last season in his what D+3/4 season?

Todd scored 7 goals in one season? Lol, did you miss the part where he scored 6 goals in Vancouver and 7 goals for NYI in the year he was traded?
Todd went from 30ish points to 20ish then back to 30ish and then 40pt pace in his injured season and then up to 50 and then up and up.

If you are going to make an argument, educate yourself first.

Hey! I respect that your opinion on Jake is set in stone. Can we circle back to this in a couple years after Jake has fully developed? If I am being patient with his development and you not, this rodeo we are in is going to be one big waste of time

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I think we should all be preparing for Virtanen to be shipped out of town this off season. We are seeing the same kind of pr snubs we saw with McCann, where Jake isn't mentioned in videos and quotes promoting our young talent. I am preparing for a kassian-Prust style mentorship trade.

Player NamePos.GPGAPtsPIM+/-GPGAPtsPIMBirthplaceAge
Brendan LeipsicL684971120103552110142441MAN: Winnipeg18
Nicolas PetanC7146741204368219192816BC: Delta17
Ty RattieR62486211027562120163617ALTA: Calgary19
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hey! I respect that your opinion on Jake is set in stone. Can we circle back to this in a couple years after Jake has fully developed? If I am being patient with his development and you not, this rodeo we are in is going to be one big waste of time
Can you elaborate on the Todd Bertuzzi scoring 7 goals in a season thing?
Care to elaborate how Todd's points total "dropped" and how Jake is similar to that?

Honestly, just be a f***ing man and admit you are wrong and you are a f***ing hyprocrite. At least people will respect you for owning up.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Can you elaborate on the Todd Bertuzzi scoring 7 goals in a season thing?

A mistake on my part, not my scouting department

You do realize that Todd Bertuzzi came with big question marks, ergo, why he was given up on early by the Isles.

You are either a young whipper snapper and too young to remember this about Todds well known lazy work habits and bad attitude when coming out of the draft or just simply relying on selective memory to suit the cause (the agenda)

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
A mistake on my part, not my scouting department

You do realize that Todd Bertuzzi came with big question marks, ergo, why he was given up on early by the Isles.

You are either a young whipper snapper and too young to remember this about Todds well known lazy work habits and bad attitude when coming out of the draft or just simply relying on selective memory to suit the cause (the agenda)
The Isles were a trainwreck in the 90's. They traded away Pierre Turgeon, Malakhov, Bertuzzi, McCabe, Berard, Palffy, Luongo, Jokinen, 2nd overall pick, Chara for various reasons. They had no patience for anyone.

Yeah Bert was lazy, I am not that young and I watched all the games back then, but he also had moment of absolute brillance. We see flashes of skill from Virtanen with almost no results. That's the thing, Bert when he was on, could do anything. Virtanen when he is on looks like Kreider without the finish. Ever since his draft season, his point production has been disappointing consistently. Hoping for him to breakout is based on hope and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: y2kcanucks

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I didn't expect us to be dead last. I figured at least the wings or the sharks would be behind us, maybe a couple others.

I underestimated how many teams have 19 and 20 year olds making significant contributions.

I also didn't want anyone to think I purposefully chose a methodology that would rank us last. I rather chose one that was simple and was surprised we were last.

Imagine if the Sedins are retained. Yikes.

Heh.

Why would they ship out JV.?..The guy is obviously turning a corner with his play and his conditioning...I would say they are leaving him out of the PR thing so he can continue his development 'under the radar',or without the added pressure (my .02 cents).

Other than the fact they were drafted the same year,I don't see a correlation between McCann and JV.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
The Isles were a trainwreck in the 90's. They traded away Pierre Turgeon, Malakhov, Bertuzzi, McCabe, Berard, Palffy, Luongo, Jokinen, 2nd overall pick, Chara for various reasons. They had no patience for anyone.

Yeah Bert was lazy, I am not that young and I watched all the games back then, but he also had moment of absolute brillance. We see flashes of skill from Virtanen with almost no results. That's the thing, Bert when he was on, could do anything. Virtanen when he is on looks like Kreider without the finish. Ever since his draft season, his point production has been disappointing consistently. Hoping for him to breakout is based on hope and nothing more.

I don't care for you so no.

Agree with your takes on Bertuzzi. He did struggle with his intensity and consistency early on but even when we first acquired him you saw flashes of just brilliant skill. Not enough but it showed you it was there. I don’t see that with Jake. There’s the odd drive to the net but that’s about his only “wow” dimension. His actual skill level - handling the puck, seeing plays - just isn’t very high and certainly nowhere near what Bertuzzi flashed even very early on.

A big part of why the Isle’s let him go was some weird insistence on their part that he pattern his game after Clarke Gillies. IIRC they even brought Gillies in to have private talks and on ice practices with Todd in his first couple of years. They wanted a hitting, fighting machine and Todd wanted to float and dangle like he did in jr. The call for patience certainly was applicable in Todd’s case but mainly because he had massive skill but was being coached to be a hitter and fighter. With Jake I don’t see massive skill outside of his skating and is probably rightly being coached to be a middle 6 forechecker / hitter because the offensive skill just isn’t high enough to put him in a scorers role.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018

I don't care for you so no.

Shucks

So you agree that Bertuzzis road to his glory was a bumpy one in the beginning?

I don't assume that Virtanen and him will be similar power forwards, far from it. Power forward yes but different. I'm just saying that power forwards can take a little longer development. I'm willing to give Jake that window. Your opinion is set so let's just agree to disagree, it's kinda pointless to do spar over something we don't share the same opinion on.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
A big part of why the Isle’s let him go was some weird insistence on their part that he pattern his game after Clarke Gillies. IIRC they even brought Gillies in to have private talks and on ice practices with Todd in his first couple of years. They wanted a hitting, fighting machine and Todd wanted to float and dangle like he did in jr. The call for patience certainly was applicable in Todd’s case but mainly because he had massive skill but was being coached to be a hitter and fighter. With Jake I don’t see massive skill outside of his skating and is probably rightly being coached to be a middle 6 forechecker / hitter because the offensive skill just isn’t high enough to put him in a scorers role.

Hmm that sounds strangely familiar...

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Honestly 17 points is nothing to sneeze at for a guy with his ice time and zero PP time.

Maybe the weirdest thing about this season is that we are not doing more to promote him as a bright spot in a bleak year similar to what we did with Kassian and Jensen at the end of the Torts season.

His season has been a success to me but I feel like he's on the way out.

Reactions: vancityluongo

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Sooooo ironic that you would use the word "reality" at the end of that.

You were banned for being so detached from reality! :laugh:

FACT: You did use fancy stats to try to prove Sutter is a bad mentor.

And I think Chris banned you for something similar pre-Benning...

"sitting on the sidelines" ;)

I don't really know what that was all about, but it does bring up a good point. Fans behind Benning bought the idea that the Sutter move was a good deal at the time. Then they were able to keep that opinion up for a good while because that first season Sutter only got in roughly 20 games before being injured for the season, where he got a lot of top line minutes with the Sedins and PP time and was able to put up a .5 PPG.

But now with a broader time perspective on him, the original points against him stand. He's not a bad player, but...

- he wasn't a 2nd line center simply stuck behind Crosby and Malkin
- he's not worth anywhere near the extension he got before even playing a game for us
- he wasn't worth Bonino straight up, especially considering the contracts, let alone adding

He's a 30-35 point bottom six player, no more valuable to the Canucks than guys like Higgins or Hansen were, and whose use to the team probably could have been filled simply by keeping Brad Richardson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad