Rumor: Benning on Markstrom: 'We want him back'

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
As long as Marky doesn't demand a NMC, sign him.

You can re-evaluate the goalie situation in a year and decide which of him and Demko you want to protect from Seattle. But for now, sign the guy who was your team's MVP. Don't overthink it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
As long as Marky doesn't demand a NMC, sign him.

You can re-evaluate the goalie situation in a year and decide which of him and Demko you want to protect from Seattle. But for now, sign the guy who was your team's MVP. Don't overthink it.
Why would Markstrom even consider signing a contract that doesn't protect him from the expansion draft?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
:)

Good...good...give that nice bump to the Murray market. >:)

Shootica

Jan 17, 2013
Utica, NY
Why would Markstrom even consider signing a contract that doesn't protect him from the expansion draft?

From Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal of the Athletic:
"Markstrom’s camp might have to be willing to bend on no-movement protection, but if you’re surrendering that chip in negotiations, you’d best be made whole in treasure and term."

Reactions: Richard88

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
From Thomas Drance and Rick Dhaliwal of the Athletic:
"Markstrom’s camp might have to be willing to bend on no-movement protection, but if you’re surrendering that chip in negotiations, you’d best be made whole in treasure and term."
Translation-

You're either giving me a no-move, or you're going to pay me so much that I won't give a shit who I am playing for.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will demand the longest and biggest contract he can get. As much as I love the guy, this contract will 100% be regrettable for the team within 3 or 4 years atleast.

It will be unreal for him to cash in on this final contract and will set up generations of Markstroms, but these long term contracts for 30ish year old goalies are gross

Good on him though cause he will be a EXTREMELY rich guy very soon

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
If you just signed your #1 tender medium/long term, would you not protect him anyway? With or without a nmc? Aside from an injury or a putrid 2021, i dont think any of this matters.

member 96824

I mean, there isn't much else he really could've said other than outright saying he DOESN'T want him back

I'll tell my kids about this day...the first time a GM ever lied in public during the offseason in the middle of a negotiation.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Heres the thing, on the one hand I believe he is lying through his teeth, obviously no other answer is acceptable.

However, the problem now is that Benning has spent years telling us to trust the process, trust the drafting, we are building something special. Now that we have actually experienced some success, any step backwards and his job is more on the line than ever before. Easy for us to say that it's obviously Demko we should keep, bit if your job is on the line, maybe you want the more established goalie suiting up for you.

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
Heres the thing, on the one hand I believe he is lying through his teeth, obviously no other answer is acceptable.

However, the problem now is that Benning has spent years telling us to trust the process, trust the drafting, we are building something special. Now that we have actually experienced some success, any step backwards and his job is more on the line than ever before. Easy for us to say that it's obviously Demko we should keep, bit if your job is on the line, maybe you want the more established goalie suiting up for you.

I think Seattle draft is throwing a monkey wrench into a mix as well. Team has to have 1 goalie exposed that has 2 years of pro experience and isnt going to become UFA (if I remember rules correctly) Nuck would either have to sign Markstrom to at least 2 years deal, sign UFA goalie for at least 2 years or trade for one that has multi year deal to be compliant. I am thinking they hope they can do similar thing that Pens did with MAF and Vegas. Have under the table deal with Seattle that they will take Markstrom and Nucks throw in a draft pick or another player. For this to happen, Markstrom cant have NMC of course, which is something that he apparently wants.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Vancouver should think twice about this. They have a young, affordable goalie in Demko who could be even better than Markstrom. Why should they give Markstrom a huge deal when they could pay Demko less and put that money towards locking up Boeser and possibly adding another piece?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
At a 2 year deal it wouldn't be terrible.play him 60% Demko 40. Expose Markstrom, play them inverse and then let Markstrom walk/trade him part way through thar season if he isn't claimed in the ED.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think Seattle draft is throwing a monkey wrench into a mix as well. Team has to have 1 goalie exposed that has 2 years of pro experience and isnt going to become UFA (if I remember rules correctly) Nuck would either have to sign Markstrom to at least 2 years deal, sign UFA goalie for at least 2 years or trade for one that has multi year deal to be compliant. I am thinking they hope they can do similar thing that Pens did with MAF and Vegas. Have under the table deal with Seattle that they will take Markstrom and Nucks throw in a draft pick or another player. For this to happen, Markstrom cant have NMC of course, which is something that he apparently wants.
You really think you can get him without a NMC, and only for 2 years? He'd only agree to that if you gave him huge dollars, like Bobrovsky money. Term and NMCs are what bring the cap hit down, and Markstrom is definitely above average among starters.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
He shouldn't sign a deal unless he has a no-move for at least the expansion draft. Unless he doesn't mind sailing down the Salish to his new home.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
One good playoff series does not a career make. It’s best to have options, Vancouver would be smart to re-sign him.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Translation: we want him back at a reasonable price that makes sense for the team.

If he wants $$$$ then statement is 'we just couldnt get a deal done that made sense foe both sides. Translation: he wanted too much.

The real question is how much is too much... i'm thinking any number starting with 7 but we'll see

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I mean, there isn't much else he really could've said other than outright saying he DOESN'T want him back

Benning on Markstrom: "Don't Let the Door Hit you on the Ass!", would be a much more entertaining headline, though.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Van has serious problems and if they don't either:

Let him walk and go with Demko as the starter

or

Keep him and use Demko as an asset to move out cap dumps like Eriksson

Then they will be in an even tougher position going forward. Benning has done such a bad job managing this team. Do love that core though

cvrle1

Jun 24, 2017
You really think you can get him without a NMC, and only for 2 years? He'd only agree to that if you gave him huge dollars, like Bobrovsky money. Term and NMCs are what bring the cap hit down, and Markstrom is definitely above average among starters.

Definitely not. If he doesnt get NMC, he is looking for big pay day and longer contract for sure. If for some weird reason he would agree to it, he would be looking at north of $7M a season, and question is just how far north he would like to go cost wise with short term contract and without NMC. Only reason I mentioned at least 2 years is due to expansion draft rules.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We want him back....for 1m for 1 year while we wait on Demko.

Why didn't Benning finish his sentence?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad