Benning on Halford & Brough (02/01/19)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I’d be ok with a 3 year deal if the 3rd year is not lockout protected and the cap hit is low.

I think we can get the lockout protected clause, but I doubt that the cap hit would be low if Edler accepted a 3 year.

I still think they’ll reach an agreement on 3 years with a 6.25-6.5 AAV.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
That is the job of the GM. To manage these situations.

Why do you expect so little of your overlord Elmer Benning?
I would expect ANY GM to respect the wishes of a long-time servant of the team and not force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Maybe I'm old fashioned about respecting people's wishes, there certainly doesn't appear to be much shown on here for Edler and what he wants.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
The thing is though....so what if he we could not re-sign him. He's 33 years old. The cliff is just around the corner. A competent GM would have the ability to attempt to acquire assets for him now (and push him to agree to a move) and replace him in some manner with someone else, if he did not want to come back.

Add to all this....Edler, is a special case. If anyone would return to Vancouver, he would. The "uprooting" of his life may not be as extreme as we think. He may just work away from his family for a few months, leave them in Vancouver and then return after the season.
Who is available, just as good but won't cost more?

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Benning has been here long enough that we should stop discussing Gillis. Gillis was great up until 2011, after that he got fond of his team and didn't make enough changes or bold moves IMO. Everyone could se that 2012 and 2013 team wasn't the same as the 2011 team, he should have made more moves to change those teams IMO.

Then again Benning is to blame for the situation that this defense is in, he has in 5 years managed to bring in one d-man that is the top 4 (Stetcher) and he should probably be on the bottom pair. That is just not good enough. Because of this the Canucks need Edler since if he goes this defense will collapse.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I would expect ANY GM to respect the wishes of a long-time servant of the team and not force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

Maybe I'm old fashioned about respecting people's wishes, there certainly doesn't appear to be much shown on here for Edler and what he wants.

We've already lost 5 years of quality hockey because we "respected" the Sedin's by icing one of the worst team in the history of the league.

Im starting to see the differences in philosophy between the people who support Jim and those who want him fired.
- adversity / affinity towards statistical analysis
- facts vs feelings
- loyalty vs running a business

Etc.

The good old whataboutism.

Just can't take any criticism of your beloved Gillis, can you?

A Benningster talking about whataboutism in relation to Gillis. Is this textbook irony or what.

member 290103

Who? Who is going to replace him on defence? How much is that going to cost?

Honestly, I am just not that concerned about this. If the team was in a position to compete next year, I might have a different take, but they are so far off at this point, I don't think it matters.

This all said, the ineptitude of Jim Benning does give one pause here. He is very likely to go out and sign a guy like Matt Bartkowski or Erik Gudbranson or Derek Pouliot to replace him and I can see the argument that this could very severely negatively impact the younger players like Hughes or Woo, or whoever makes the jump.

It's all just very aggravating....that given how poor our GM is, we have to continue to hold on to players just so he does not go out and make a huge colossal mistake trying to replace them.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
What the **** are you even talking about? Edler is still the best dman the Canucks have had since Gillis left. Have the Canucks been in a better situation since Gillis left? Uh...hello?
Hello indeed...this was not a Benning vs Gillis argument if you had paid attention.

This was a direct response to the poster who suggested that Edler’s contract would have been handled better by Gillis when it was Gillis who signed a NTC in the first place. The irrational Benning hate is obvious.

I agree, Edler has been our best D-man along with Tanev...nothing to do with quality of player, this speaks specifically to the contract itself.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Not like those contracts Benning has handed out since 2014. Those are going to be great.
OK, and which current contracts under Benning are hurting the Canucks aside from Loui Eriksson? Sutter and Edler have NTCs and Roussel and Beagle have modified-NTCs....we are in decent shape.

The quality of players under Benning...another story. The FA defence signings have been shots in the dark and 100% misses...the 3rd and 4th line guys are 50/50.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hello indeed...this was not a Benning vs Gillis argument if you had paid attention.

This was a direct response to the poster who suggested that Edler’s contract would have been handled better by Gillis when it was Gillis who signed a NTC in the first place. The irrational Benning hate is obvious.

I agree, Edler has been our best D-man along with Tanev...nothing to do with quality of player, this speaks specifically to the contract itself.
NTCs actually aren't the be-all end-all of contract clauses. If you really think giving the team's best dman long-term contract security isn't a good thing, I can only imagine what you must think of the NTCs given to Eriksson and Sutter.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
NTCs actually aren't the be-all end-all of contract clauses. If you really think giving the team's best dman long-term contract security isn't a good thing, I can only imagine what you must think of the NTCs given to Eriksson and Sutter.
Agreed, there are usually only a handful of NTC’s on a team and usually go to the best players...Eriksson and Sutter were overvalued by Benning.

I just find it amusing the hate on for Benning hype, I am not for or against the guy personally...I actually think he has done much better with Linden gone (great player...terrible NHL exec).

Reactions: Nomobo

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My only hope over the next month heading into the TDL is that the Canucks aren't in the 'playoff twilight zone'. They're either above the playoff bar and looking to add a piece at a reasonable cost; or they've totally fallen out of it and are in 'seller' mode.

Obviously the best outcome at this point would be 'sellers'. They're still lacking on the bluelilne and by Jimbo's own admission they desperately need another top-six forward. Maybe by moving one of Tanev, Gudbranson or Sutter, they might get a good prospect forward or d-man back.

But more likely they'll need another lottery pick in the draft to make it happen.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
OK, and which current contracts under Benning are hurting the Canucks aside from Loui Eriksson? Sutter and Edler have NTCs and Roussel and Beagle have modified-NTCs....we are in decent shape.

Our top 3 young forwards if averaged to a full season are on pace to score a combined 110 goals, and with 2 on their ELC only have a combined cap hit of $7.35M. With 5 years to make trades and sign free agents the forward accumulated in this manner and in the lineup are: Baerstchi, Goldobin, Leivo, Sutter, Granlund, Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, Motte, and Schaller. Let's not even get started on the defense.

Just look at tonight as a snapshot, with a fully healthy lineup. Our top line has a cap hit of $2.71 million. Our 4th line has a cap hit of $9.925 million, with $9M of that committed through the 21-22 season. Then in the press box we have two forwards earning $3.375 million.

Anyone who thinks we're in any kind of positive shape is distracted by the shiny new toy and not seeing or understanding the big picture.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
How many more years of EP's ELC will that waste?

Well we've already wasted them, unless you believe we'll be competitive in the next 2 seasons.

The only way to have prevented it would have been if they were on top of the rebuild earlier.

Feb 24, 2017

“Tonto Kowalski” :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad