Bennett vs Zacha

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Devils fan voting Bennett.

While Zacha has taken some big strides, I suspect this past year will be among his best in terms of scoring rates. His IPP skyrocketed to 81%; his career average before this year was 58%. He also shot at nearly 17%.

I will say that Zacha is the better special teams player, I've always thought he was underutilized on the PP and is an excellent penalty killer. And he's a better winger at 5v5 than Bennett (Bennett is a terrible winger). I definitely think the devils should move Zacha to wing full time, where he projects as a ~20-25 goal ~50-55 point winger who can play in all situations.

But at 5v5 this is Bennett pretty easily, so long as he's playing down the middle. He's just a much better puck carrier and distributer. Zacha doesn't play with enough pace to be an effective 5v5 pivot and he struggles to see the ice at top speed, something Bennett excels at (and something centers need to be able to do).

I see Bennett as a low to mid tier 1C who should be in the ~25-30 goal ~65-70 point range most seasons, provided he has some talent to play with.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Really just a different way of phrasing the question, "do you believe Sam Bennett's short hot streak sample with Florida is sustainable". Or at least..."how much of it" is sustainable.

And to answer that...i'm not sure. I'd probably go with Zacha, who has seemed to be on a reasonably steady upward trajectory, culminating in a bit of a breakout season. Whereas Bennett has the more eye-popping "breakout", but it's such a small sample, with some underlying elements that raise a few flags about the real sustainability of it. I'd probably "play it safe" and just take Zacha. But if Bennett's Florida stint somehow isn't a mirage...i'd regret that choice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

While Zacha has taken some big strides, I suspect this past year will be among his best in terms of scoring rates. His IPP skyrocketed to 81%; his career average before this year was 58%. He also shot at nearly 17%.

I will say that Zacha is the better special teams player, I've always thought he was underutilized on the PP and is an excellent penalty killer. And he's a better winger at 5v5 than Bennett (Bennett is a terrible winger). I definitely think the devils should move Zacha to wing full time, where he projects as a ~20-25 goal ~50-55 point winger who can play in all situations.

But at 5v5 this is Bennett pretty easily, so long as he's playing down the middle. He's just a much better puck carrier and distributer. Zacha doesn't play with enough pace to be an effective 5v5 pivot and he struggles to see the ice at top speed, something Bennett excels at (and something centers need to be able to do).

I see Bennett as a low to mid tier 1C who should be in the ~25-30 goal ~65-70 point range most seasons, provided he has some talent to play with.
A 24-year-old with 155 points in 412 games is going to become a low to mid tier 1C? It's possible but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

People are overreacting hard to a tiny sample. It's way more likely Bennett goes back to being what he always was.

Reactions: ThatsSoSlavin

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
A 24-year-old with 155 points in 412 games is going to become a low to mid tier 1C? It's possible but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

People are overreacting hard to a tiny sample. It's way more likely Bennett goes back to being what he always was.
You're only saying that because you don't understand the way he was deployed in Calgary.

If Florida deploys him as a 4th line winger, then yeah. But he was never given a legitimate chance to center anyone of notable talent, and in the few times he did, he looked great.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Really just a different way of phrasing the question, "do you believe Sam Bennett's short hot streak sample with Florida is sustainable". Or at least..."how much of it" is sustainable.

And to answer that...i'm not sure. I'd probably go with Zacha, who has seemed to be on a reasonably steady upward trajectory, culminating in a bit of a breakout season. Whereas Bennett has the more eye-popping "breakout", but it's such a small sample, with some underlying elements that raise a few flags about the real sustainability of it. I'd probably "play it safe" and just take Zacha. But if Bennett's Florida stint somehow isn't a mirage...i'd regret that choice.

Yeah, his 100 point pace is unsustainable. But his underlying numbers do suggest that he should very easily pace for 30+ goals and 65+ points over a full season centering Huberdeau.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You're only saying that because you don't understand the way he was deployed in Calgary.

If Florida deploys him as a 4th line winger, then yeah. But he was never given a legitimate chance to center anyone of notable talent, and in the few times he did, he looked great.
If he continues to take 3 minors every 2 games, he's gonna go right back to being deployed that way.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think Zacha is the better player with equally high room to continue growing with more confidence

both had slow starts to their careers because of usage and confidence; both are rising again, but I think Pavel's is more sustainable

i see both as middle-6 players. Although if in a full season Pavel can hit 30 goals, he may step up to a secured top-6 player. He paced for that in an up and down year with a new coach and covid

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In 15 games with Florida he took 11 minors and drew 6 . . . might want to work on your math.
The point is, he deploys himself that way. He always had the talent.

Since 17-18, only 11 active forwards have a worse have a worse take-GAR and he takes dumb, avoidable penalties.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Zacha shooting 50% above his career average, doesn't drive play, poor defender with no physicality and needs a cushy spot next to Hischier and/or Bratt in order to max out. This isn't sustainable. Decent PKer in the past, I suspect Ruff's tactics are at fault. Oh yeah, I'm a Devils fan.

The most frustrating Devils player ever because the skill is there. I hope he's turned a corner but prefer they sell high on him. I'm going Bennett here.

Reactions: Hisch13r

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ahhh so you're just upset that he ran Coleman? Got it.

Next time lead with that
Coleman is a certain type of player and he brings things on himself.

I'm talking about Sam Bennett being an extremely undisciplined player who takes a lot of non-hockey penalties.

Are you saying that's not true?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Its amazing to me that people have such strong opinions about either of these guys. But overdrafted, pushed too far too soon, but still useful pieces with some upside.

Bennett by a nose for me.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Im super curious to know what Sam Bennett has done that Pavel Zacha hasnt; besides play for a Canadian team.

Zacha has a career PPG of .45 vs Bennett's .38, is younger and bigger, and scores more goals as well

So... is Sam Bennett better because his name is Sam Bennett and he was a fourth overall pick vs Zacha at sixth overall? I must be missing something

Reactions: Puckclektr

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021

You project a guy whos never broken 35 points to, all of a sudden, become a 65-70pt guy?

how do you make that jump in logic? Pavel has scored more their entire careers, not just this last shortened season. He also scores goals, so no matter his shooting % Bennett wont ever score more goals

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Im super curious to know what Sam Bennett has done that Pavel Zacha hasnt; besides play for a Canadian team.

Zacha has a career PPG of .45 vs Bennett's .38, is younger and bigger, and scores more goals as well

So... is Sam Bennett better because his name is Sam Bennett and he was a fourth overall pick vs Zacha at sixth overall? I must be missing something

I think you missed the trade to Florida were he definitely looks better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad