Bennett on the differences between 'Gino and Suttsy'

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
No shot at Bylsma, surprisingly.

The most interesting part was wanting to be on the RW with Malkin and him actually saying that. That could have ramifications on the lines.

Well one could argue that he took a shot at Bylsma by saying he wanted to be on the RW while playing with Malkin.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
Farner, Hammer, Farn, Ham or, even, Bobby. They really did have to go through a tonne of options.

500px-GoodNewsEveryone.jpg

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hockey nicknames are usually simple and roll off the tongue because when you're on the ice and need to catch a guy's attention quickly, "Flat Stanley" isn't exactly the best option. There's no marks for creativity.

My take, anyway.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Hockey nicknames are usually simple and roll off the tongue because when you're on the ice and need to catch a guy's attention quickly, "Flat Stanley" isn't exactly the best option. There's no marks for creativity.

My take, anyway.

Well then why not just shorten them to one syllable if that's the case. Gronk was a great nickname but apparently it was not creative enough to stick around amongst the team and was replaced with Staalsy thus making it a longer nickname to say and... roll off the tongue.

It's not just hockey, although they seem to be the worst offenders. Nicknames in general have had an appalling lack of creativity over the years. We need more Oil Can, Spaceman, Catfish and less of [insert last name here]sy

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Interesting take. Looks like Bennet really likes to play with Sutter

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...-differences-between-gino-and-suttsy-01-15-15

Interesting. It's phrased in a way that appears to flatter Sutter a bit more, in that Sutter is the kind of player who works really hard and plays the game the right way, but reading it fully, what he saying at is that Geno is so good that he doesn't have to play the game like Sutter (or any of the other good defensive Cs). It looks like he's cheating on defence, but his natural talent allows him to do anything he wants, he doesn't have to play hockey the "right way" and he can still be good defensively.

Also, I hate Gino as well.

I always thought it was Geno because they had problems pronouncing Evgeni or Zhenya and not goal-related.

Flat Stanley didn't seem to catch on, I guess.

Might be that Sutter didn't like it, vaguely remember that from the In the Room episode anyway, I think it was Neal who called him Stan quite a bit, it might not have stuck with Neal off the team now.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Beau is my favorite player. I do a lot of coaching for Pens youth camps, and this past summer he was one of the guys that came on to spend some time with the kids. I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to talk and hang out with him for a bit. During that time I found out a few interesting tidbits of info.

First, he uses a 65 flex stick. He used to use 85, but then switched to 65 after one of his wrist injuries so he could start shooting a little earlier in rehab, and can't get away from it now. He loves it.

Second, Beau loves roller hockey. I made it a point to talk to him about it just because I made the switch from ice to inline in college because the competition where I went was actually better there, and wanted to ask him about it. He likes inline better than ice. I had asked him if he had the chance to play in a pro inline league for the same money as he makes in the NHL, and he said, "Oh yeah, in a heartbeat. I miss it so much. Probably shouldn't have said that since I'm miked up"

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Interesting. It's phrased in a way that appears to flatter Sutter a bit more, in that Sutter is the kind of player who works really hard and plays the game the right way, but reading it fully, what he saying at is that Geno is so good that he doesn't have to play the game like Sutter (or any of the other good defensive Cs). It looks like he's cheating on defence, but his natural talent allows him to do anything he wants, he doesn't have to play hockey the "right way" and he can still be good defensively.

Also, I hate Gino as well.

I always thought it was Geno because they had problems pronouncing Evgeni or Zhenya and not goal-related.

Might be that Sutter didn't like it, vaguely remember that from the In the Room episode anyway, I think it was Neal who called him Stan quite a bit, it might not have stuck with Neal off the team now.

After reading the quotes a few time, that is exactly what he is saying. He doesn't say Malkin cheats, he says it "appears" like he does, but his natural talent allows him to play unconventional and still be VERY effective thus the "underrated defensively" comment.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Beau is my favorite player. I do a lot of coaching for Pens youth camps, and this past summer he was one of the guys that came on to spend some time with the kids. I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to talk and hang out with him for a bit. During that time I found out a few interesting tidbits of info.

First, he uses a 65 flex stick. He used to use 85, but then switched to 65 after one of his wrist injuries so he could start shooting a little earlier in rehab, and can't get away from it now. He loves it.

Second, Beau loves roller hockey. I made it a point to talk to him about it just because I made the switch from ice to inline in college because the competition where I went was actually better there, and wanted to ask him about it. He likes inline better than ice. I had asked him if he had the chance to play in a pro inline league for the same money as he makes in the NHL, and he said, "Oh yeah, in a heartbeat. I miss it so much. Probably shouldn't have said that since I'm miked up"

I played in a semi-pro league in the summer with former Phantoms and loved roller as well growing up. The leagues I played in were 4-4 and it we had floating offside. Everyone had a high skill level and could really skate. There was no way to hide out there and it really helped to explode my offensive skills as well as teach me how to play guys 1-1.

Going back to ice in the fall, I always felt lighter on my skates because they weren't as heavy as my rollerblades, and it was much easier to cut and stop on ice. The speed pucks we played with in roller hockey took a lot of skill to control because they would bounce everywhere, so using a rubber puck on ice was so much easier it was comical.

For me nothing compares to ice, but I can't deny how much roller hockey helped dramatically improve my skills.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
I played in a semi-pro league in the summer with former Phantoms and loved roller as well growing up. The leagues I played in were 4-4 and it we had floating offside. Everyone had a high skill level and could really skate. There was no way to hide out there and it really helped to explode my offensive skills as well as teach me how to play guys 1-1.

Going back to ice in the fall, I always felt lighter on my skates because they weren't as heavy as my rollerblades, and it was much easier to cut and stop on ice. The speed pucks we played with in roller hockey took a lot of skill to control because they would bounce everywhere, so using a rubber puck on ice was so much easier it was comical.

For me nothing compares to ice, but I can't deny how much roller hockey helped dramatically improve my skills.

Inline is more of a thinking man's game. There's so much more room, generally no offsides... teams that pass really well are terrifying. Neumann University, one of the best teams in college inline(they and Lindenwood actually give out scholarships for it), drew a penalty against a team 2 or 3 seasons ago. They were up 3 or 4 goals and there were 7 minutes left in the game.

They held the puck the rest of the game. The other team didn't touch it. After four minutes of trying to get it, they ended up just taking knees by their net, waiting for time to run out... one of the saddest things I've ever seen. They just gave up.

They instituted a rule the next season stating that if you have a delayed penalty and pull your goalie, you can't take the puck back out across the red line-similar to basketball rules. Obviously, everyone calls it the Neumann rule...

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
What bothers me more than the Gino/Geno thing is the complete lack of interesting and creative nicknames in the NHL world... I mean cmon Suttsy? Adding a sy at the end of someone's last name appears to be the standard for NHL nicknames. We need more Crankshafts, Gronk, Free Candy etc and less of the sy's

I can go off on Baseball too with all the various Rodriguez and using the first initial in front of it.

This makes me miss Bob "Battleship" Kelly.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I also played a ton of roller hockey growing up. Ice in the fall, winter, spring and roller in the summer. It really improves your hands.

I don't know if I'd go as far as preferring roller to ice, but it's pretty close. Unfortunately, there is only one roller league in Cleveland, where I live, and the competition is spotty. One night you play a really good team, the next some dudes that just picked up hockey a few years ago.

PensFreak

Jun 5, 2007
Do we want to get an A team together here for Pittsburgh? Because the only friends I have that I know have a team right now are playing in C/D league and it's just... not fun.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
After reading the quotes a few time, that is exactly what he is saying. He doesn't say Malkin cheats, he says it "appears" like he does, but his natural talent allows him to play unconventional and still be VERY effective thus the "underrated defensively" comment.

Yeah, I read it as him being very complimentary to both of them - and highlighting what makes them good both good in their own ways. I don't really get the impression that he specifically prefers playing with either over the other, just talking about how it's different to play with Geno and Sutter.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
That 'Gino' thing was started by Rossi ... said Malkin preferred it and the Pittsburgh press took it up. Pretty sure that Malkin was just trolling him, since he uses 'Geno' on both his social media accounts. Pens accounts spell it that way, too.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
That 'Gino' thing was started by Rossi ... said Malkin preferred it and the Pittsburgh press took it up. Pretty sure that Malkin was just trolling him, since he uses 'Geno' on both his social media accounts. Pens accounts spell it that way, too.

So it's used as some kind of "Rossi-filter" to know who listens to that guy? Pretty clever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad