Benn v Iginla (YT #4)

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
To be fair, Iginla challenged Benn because of a clean hit he threw. Also, I remember on more than one occasion where Iginla has fought with his helmet WITH a visor on. It doesn't bother me that much though.

It depends on whether they get a chance to square up.

Was Iggy fighting a visor player? If he does, he keeps the helmet on. When he fights a non-visor player, he removes his helmet and so should the other player.

Unless they both drop their gloves right away and start chucking them, then there isn't the opportunity to remove the lids and be even up to start the fight.

It's something called honour, something I'm not sure some posters here understand. You go into a fight even up if the combatants square up. Visor vs Visor, helmet vs helmet, no lid vs no lid.

If Iggy leaves his helmet on, does he get the black eye? What might have happened to Benn's hand? Players with honour keep the risks the same for both guys.

straka91*

That was a heck of a fight. Good spirited bout. Props for iggy losing the lid and Benn for going with a experienced fighter.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Awesome fight. Props to Benn for going toe-to-toe with Iggy.

I'd score the win to Iggy. Benn really nailed him with that early shot and drew blood, but Iginla controlled the fight and laid a beating on him later on.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I'll give the kid a break.. he looked scared ****less... I mean he's a second year player facing off against Jarome "freakin'" iginla...
This. How many of you keyboard warriors have any idea what it would be like to face a guy like Iginla ready to throw his fist in your face. Can't blame the kid for not thinking clearly, probably realized what had happened when he went to the penalty box. Maybe he'll drop the helmet next time. Great fight.

TangoMcBride

Feb 28, 2008
The DF Dub
No, that's not how it works.

Benn got his shot in early but Iginla wins this fight.
You're right. That isn't how it works. But in this case, the punch that drew blood was 10 times more devastating than any other punch in the fight. That punch staggered Iginla, sliced him open and immediately put him on the defensive. I'll give Iginla credit for being the more active fighter towards the end of the fight but a series of rabbit punches (most of which connected with the shoulder and helmet) isn't enough to sway the fight.

That's a 10/9 round for Benn, no doubt.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yeah, I'm not sure why he didn't remove his helmet. Pretty weird.

Great fight though.

Don't see why he should really, I mean Iggy initiates the fight and has to take his helmet off because he has a visor but that's not Benn's problem. Heck of a fight and I want Benn on the Pens so bad.

sossprint93

Nov 30, 2007
I just looked up Benn's NHL fight card on hockeyfights.com, of his 5 career NHL fights, 2 have been against guys who had visors who didn't take them off before the fight...and I really don't think he cared if Iginla was his 3rd.

I'm a Canadian living in Dallas...to me it was great to see a guy like Iginla step up yet again and it was great to see Benn step up. Appreciate it for what it was, two really good hockey players in a very entertaining and interesting fight and quit *****ing.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
I just looked up Benn's NHL fight card on hockeyfights.com, of his 5 career NHL fights, 2 have been against guys who had visors who didn't take them off before the fight...and I really don't think he cared if Iginla was his 3rd.

Benn doesn't wear a visor, he doesn't have to lose the helmet. The only reason Iggy took his off is because if the instigator was called, he'd get the extra two.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Benn doesn't wear a visor, Iginla does, that's why Iginla took his off. I don't see a problem with it ?

Unless I somehow completely missed Benn's visor.

That's what I was thinking. Not taking your helmet off while wearing a visor is a ***** move. Not taking your visor-less helmet off is no big deal. FWIW, Benn wore a visor last year but hasn't worn one this year and has been in a handful of fights so far. I don't get what all the hubbub is about a non-visored player not taking off the lid.

I'll give the kid a break.. he looked scared ****less... I mean he's a second year player facing off against Jarome "freakin'" iginla...

10 bucks says he sent an apology over to iggy for tagging him early before they were both set.

What fight were you watching? Seriously, they were both clearly ready to fight. You make it sound like Benn Avery'ed him before he got his feet set. FFS :cry:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I give Iggy the slight edge, but still nothing to be ashamed of by Benn. Not many 21 years can handle their own against a guy like Iginla.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Some of you guys are hilarious. Benn doesn't wear a visor so he doesn't need to remove his helmet. Iginla does because he wears a visor, but Benn can choose what he wants to do. Many players will leave it on so their head doesn't hit the ice when they go down. It's not like Iginla's goal in the fight was to punch Benn in the back of the head and when Benn kept his helmet on his whole fighting strategy went out the window. If Benn took his helmet off then that's fine, but it's also fine that he didn't. Tell Iginla to lose the visor and he won't have to worry about taking his off. Not to mention Iginla was the one who picked the fight after Benn threw a routine hit that happens 20 times a game.

Benn was clearly winning until he tired out. The fight was a draw.

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Gotta go with Iggy on this one.

Benn stepped up early and cut Iggy with a good shot, but Iginla stood in there and once he shedded Benn's bucket and gave him a good right hand (44 seconds) Benn was glazed and was just along for the ride.

I have to give Benn full points for taking on a guy like Iginla, and even initiating punches. But in the end, I would bet dollar to dime that Benn's hurting alot more then the 3 stitches Iggy would have gotten

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->