Benn or Seguin is moving either one a possibility or not?

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Is it possible for the team to keep these two if the team does not finish better than they did last year? I have a feeling that the bar is set pretty high this year. I know their contracts contain NMC and NTC but how long can Dallas continue if they can't make it to the cup final?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Seguin would hold value around the league, Benn is highly doubtful without massive retention.
Unfortunately his NMC allows him to dictate where he goes and the few teams that might have interest in him, would probably not be interesting to him.

That said, even with Seguin having some value, Moving him without retention as well or a very bad contract coming back isn't likely to happen, as there isn't enough teams that have the cap space to accommodate that contract that He'd likely be willing to waive to go to

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I'd be open to moving either, but agree with @M88K that there are wrinkles with moving either one that make it difficult and the return likely to be disappointing. I'd prefer to keep Seguin for a multitude of reasons.

Ultimately, with a likely very medicore return for Seguin and an even worse one with Benn, trading either of them kind of means you are driving the tank to the very difficult short rebuild or (more likely) a longer term one.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think moving Benn would be a good move for the team even if the return sucks. At this point it just doesn’t seem realistic though due to cap hit, term, and a full NMC.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
TBH,
Stars only way out is to get a few scoring gems in the draft, like DeBrincat, Laine, etc. , that score in bunches on cheap rookie contracts.

Let Seguin and Benn be overpaid second liners and score their 15-10 goals each (maybe Seguin can hit 25 a few more times, who knows?)

Robertson may be a start, but after drafting D in 2019 (Harley) and "character" in 2018 (Ty D) they really, really need to spend all the picks they have trying to hit a home run on the scoring fw.

Limp Dekes

Jun 27, 2019
Just going over some numbers...

Benn+Seguin+Radulov= $25,600,000
David Pastrnak= $6,666,666

Benn+Seguin+Radulov= 36 goals
David Pastrnak = 37 goals

Benn+Seguin+Radulov= 87 points
David Pastrnak= 70 points

I wonder though, how much of the offensive woes are due to coaching and how much are due to player regression.

Reactions: MilesNewton

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
They're better than their production is but no where near as good as their price tag would suggest they are. I'm sorry for all the shit talk Benn takes, how is it that Seguin gets past over with his 11 f***en goals? Just pathetic for the $ he's being paid and the player he's expected to be.

Last edited:

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
They're better than they're production is but no where near as good as their price tag would suggest they are. I'm sorry for all the **** talk Benn takes, how is it that Seguin gets past over with his 11 ****en goals? Just pathetic for the $ he's being paid and the player he's expected to be.
Seguin doesn't.
He's been getting ripped apart too. Not as much as Benn because he(Seguin) still is producing, leads the team in points, plays solid defensively most of the time, some lapses obviously. But He hasn't been as bad as Benn, and still has a decent amount of positives to his play. You could say he's a 55/45 or 60/40 split between good and bad, Benn has basically been the opposite to even 30/70 good/bad which is why he gets so much shit in comparison

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
That's fair, I only watch about half the games so I don't see just how crap some of Benn's crap night are. Seguin just pisses me off a lot when he's not scoring goals. He's ok defensively but 9.85 is game breaker money. When he's playing good defense and getting his secondary assists he's still pretty invisible and not at all worth the price tag. Benn cannot be excused and obviously isn't but at least he's semi physical including the odd fight, but then again it might be better if he were invisible meaning he's not being the liability he seems to be at times.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I’ve been wanting a Benn trade for 2-3 years now, but his value is only getting lower and lower. At this point, I think he only fetches cap dumps and maybe a pick or two, and would likely only waive for Vancouver. So, as pretty much everyone on these boards has pointed out to me, probably never going to happen.

Seguin, IMHO, gets back to PPG play (and even 40 goals) with a system that doesn’t suck the offensive life out of its star players.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
That's fair, I only watch about half the games so I don't see just how crap some of Benn's crap night are. Seguin just pisses me off a lot when he's not scoring goals. He's ok defensively but 9.85 is game breaker money. When he's playing good defense and getting his secondary assists he's still pretty invisible and not at all worth the price tag. Benn cannot be excused and obviously isn't but at least he's semi physical including the odd fight, but then again it might be better if he were invisible meaning he's not being the liability he seems to be at times.

For me whenever I watch Seguin, his bad games aren't him playing terribly and giving the puck away or doing lazy/soft plays like what Benn does when he has a bad game. When Seguin has a bad game he's basically just Justin Dowling, a non factor, whereas Benn just aggrivates me so much when he's not playing well.

Reactions: Kcb12345

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Can we just hire Gallant? He did is much better than what we are currently sporting. I don’t think Nill can get away with a failed year. I don’t care if the coach was fired. He has a chance to add the coach he originally wanted and if he passes that’s on him. You have to take some risks at some point.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think a part of both reduced production is reduced minutes. Also wonder why Monty made a big deal about not having Tyler play in "his one timer spot" on the PP. Put him back there one game just before being fired, telling the press it was a "prove it" experiment. Not sure why Tyler has to prove anything. He may have been cold shooting, but that kind of thing always turns around for scorers.

With Jamie, I hope part of it is that they are so confident they will make the playoffs, they don't want him to bruise up his bod if not required. He has shown he can still play that way, but at 30, saving it is probably a thing they are thinking. Also, the more the team can let the young players step up and spread around the scoring, they better off they will be in the PO. The problem last year was they were a one line team, maybe 1.75 after Zuch got here and got Rope going a bit. Looks like they want to be the old NJ Devils now, no star scorers, just a dozen guys scoring 15-20, as long as they win. In truth, not a terrible plan.

At least, that is what I hope......

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
I think a part of both reduced production is reduced minutes. Also wonder why Monty made a big deal about not having Tyler play in "his one timer spot" on the PP. Put him back there one game just before being fired, telling the press it was a "prove it" experiment. Not sure why Tyler has to prove anything. He may have been cold shooting, but that kind of thing always turns around for scorers.

With Jamie, I hope part of it is that they are so confident they will make the playoffs, they don't want him to bruise up his bod if not required. He has shown he can still play that way, but at 30, saving it is probably a thing they are thinking. Also, the more the team can let the young players step up and spread around the scoring, they better off they will be in the PO. The problem last year was they were a one line team, maybe 1.75 after Zuch got here and got Rope going a bit. Looks like they want to be the old NJ Devils now, no star scorers, just a dozen guys scoring 15-20, as long as they win. In truth, not a terrible plan.

At least, that is what I hope......

It is not a bad plan and it is working. They are winning with it and that’s part of the problem. Hard to say change this cause we are in a playoff spot. The issue is Nill needs a fire lit under him. They have to make the WCF or he would be out. You are paying three guys money to get 30+ goals not 15-20. This does not change unless he get Gallant. I think if you get him in here the defense will still stay but the offense will uptick some.

Vegas had a good defense and a hot goalie when they went on their run. We have the goalie who we know can get hot. An uptick in offense from a better coach who changes lines and puts players in better spots will go a long way.

I just think Nill is too conservative to make bold moves and that’s why he needs to go. That and he sucks at drafting.

Reactions: MilesNewton

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It is not a bad plan and it is working. They are winning with it and that’s part of the problem. Hard to say change this cause we are in a playoff spot. The issue is Nill needs a fire lit under him. They have to make the WCF or he would be out. You are paying three guys money to get 30+ goals not 15-20. This does not change unless he get Gallant. I think if you get him in here the defense will still stay but the offense will uptick some.

Vegas had a good defense and a hot goalie when they went on their run. We have the goalie who we know can get hot. An uptick in offense from a better coach who changes lines and puts players in better spots will go a long way.

I just think Nill is too conservative to make bold moves and that’s why he needs to go. That and he sucks at drafting.

Vegas never had a good defense. They played great as a 5 man unit in the first season but that blueline was allways bad and still is. This was never adressed . Instead Vegas now has a gazillion expensive forwards.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Those three massive contracts are going to kill the Stars. I think the expectation is to make it to the Stanley Cup finals and win it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad