Benefits of SIHR Membership

member 83027

Yes.

Although I am one of their biggest critics it's only $35 bucks a year. They have a player database that can go deeper than Hockey Reference & Hockey DB for 'other leagues' as well as player notes and/or milestones. It also allows you to search for players who played for 2 specific teams. You receive the annual research journal as a member which has some interesting items in it most years.

They do have an e-list that you can ask questions. It doesn't seem like it's as active as it used to be but can still be a valuable resource.

If you have any questions or want to know anything else send me a PM if you would like.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Didn't you ask this exact same question two or three years ago?

Nevertheless, I think it's a really good platform if you're really into researching stuff, or if you're interested in stuff that isn't on Wikipedia or in books. You can come in contact with other people/members who have their own particular niches, and expand your knowledge.

Try it for one year, and if it's not something for you then you don't have to renew your membership.

Reactions: Killion

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
@ted1971

I'll give you an example on research you can do in the framework of SIHR, or anywhere else (if you like to do that instead). I dug up this photo/sketch below, of the 1898–1899 Quaker City Hockey Club, from The Philadelphia Times yesterday.

Since you're a Flyers fan I guess it could be nice to know that one of the first teams in Philadelphia, along with the University of Pennsylvania team, was the Quaker City Hockey Club, formed for the 1896–97 season. They played in maroon and white colors and at the West Park Ice Palace in Philadelphia (this arena later burned down, I think not long after the conclusion of the 1900–01 season).

They were captained by George Washington Orton (1873–1958), a Canadian middle distance runner and all-around sportsman from Strathroy, Ontario who won a gold medal at the 1900 Summer Olympics in Paris, France at the 2500 meter steeplechase event. Orton is sitting second from right in the middle row in the picture below.

George Orton was paralysed when he fell out of a tree when he was a child and took up athletics and running to overcome his injuries/physical disadvantage. The reason he ended up in Philadelphia (in 1893) was to study romance languages at the University of Pennsylvania (and he also played hockey with the university team). One of Orton's arms was still withered in his ice hockey playing days, so he could only use one arm properly when handling a hockey stick, but he made up for it somewhat by being an inexhaustible force on the ice.

The Quaker City HC had other Canadians on its team. Bert Russel, with the Ottawa Hockey Club from 1891–1896, played with the team in 1897–98. Stanley Willett, of the Montreal Victorias and later on several Pittsburgh teams in the Western Pennsylvania Hockey League (WPHL), was a star player with the club for two seasons between 1897–1899. Willett is sitting second from left in the middle row in the picture below.

Other Canadians on the team included William Phymister (also later in the WPHL), Arthur Stackhouse and John Gorman. One of the few Americans on the team was Arthur J. Moore, the goalkeeper sitting to the right in the front row. He hailed from Scranton, Pennsylvania.

In 1900–01 the Quaker City Hockey Club played in the American Amateur Hockey League (alongside Brooklyn Crescents, New York Athletic Club, St. Nicholas Hockey Club, Brooklyn Skating Club and New York Hockey Club), but by then Russel, Willett, Phymister and Stackhouse had moved on to other leagues. Orton was still on the team, and scored 8 goals in 11 games, but the Quaker City HC finished last in the league at 6th place with 2 wins, 8 losses and 1 tied game.

The Quaker City HC ended the season on a positive note though by winning one of their last few games of the 1900–01 AAHL campaign, a 3-2 decision against the New York Athletic Club on home ice in Philadelphia on March 8, 1901 which helped the Brooklyn Crescents win the championship in front of the New York AC. The game winning goal in that game was scored by 19-year old cover point Bill Clothier from Sharon Hill, Pennsylvania. He would later go on to win the US Open tennis title in 1906.

Full 1898–99 roster: Arthur Moore, John Gorman, George Orton, William Phymister, Stanley Willett, Stanley Rogers, William Edward Wallace, Edgar Neff

original.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->