Benchmark contracts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Ealier on the Fan590, they were talking about how Don Waddel and Jay Feaster had to sign their young studs, Heatley, Kovalchuk, and Lecavalier, and how these contracts would be the "benchmark" for the new CBA in regards to signing young RFA's.

Anyone have any guesses or speculation on how much these contracts will be for?

I don't think we will see any max deals, but maybe something between 5 and 6 million....

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
its going to be very interesting to see what contracts these guys sign:
kovalchuk
nash
lecavalier
heatley
etc.
personally i think all of them theoretically should be the top paid players in the league due to their age and ability

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
For Heatley and Kovalchuk, I'm thinking something closer to $4M each.

This was the number that Waddell was talking about for these two before the lockout. He was talking about it in light of a less restrictive financial environment (ie, long before anyone knew there would be a cap, much less what its actual number might be). Kovalchuk may have been able to squeeze more out of the contract then, putting it anywhere between $4M and $5M. Heatley didn't have that much leverage coming off his injury.

I just can't see the team going any higher than $4M now that the finances are more restricted. Waddell and Hartley and the new owners will have to sell these two on the benefits of staying in Atlanta at a reasonable price. Given how the team looks and its prospects in the next couple years, that shouldn't be a tough sell.

And remember these are not the cheap, cold, heartless bast*rds that owned the team in its first 4.5 years. These owners gave the green light to add payroll in the last offseason we had. They've shown their willingness to improve the team, so the two kids will know that going into their individual negotiations. Not saying that these two and their agents won't try to squeeze every last dollar out of a new contract, because they will certainly try. But it's gonna be evident pretty quickly that the money just can't flow like before.

That's why I'm thinking that $4M would be the high number for either or both of their contracts, give or take. However it ends up, it will be interesting to see what these kids get in the next couple weeks.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I'll be interested to see how the RFA compensation has changed within the new CBA, if it still even exists. If compensation remains about the same as before it woulgn't surprise me to see Heatley and/or Kovalchuk given an offer sheet to consider.

Lanny MacDonald*

Hmmm, I don't think any of these guys deserve top end money IMO. Good lord, Lecavalier was still getting slapped around for his inconsistent play during the 2003-04 season, so there is room for great improvement there. I think he still has a lot to prove. Kovalchuk and Heatley need to get their team to the playoffs before cashing in. Just because a guy scores a ton of points means he deserves the big money. Didn't anyone learn anything during the last CBA with the contracts for Bure and Jagr?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
What was the new rule regarding holdouts?
If they don't sign by Dec. 1 they can't play that season?
Just wondering what leverage the RFAs have.

With the new CBA, were there any changes to compensation for signing other teams' RFAs? Any word on that?

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
coppernblue said:
its going to be very interesting to see what contracts these guys sign:
kovalchuk
nash
lecavalier
heatley
etc.
personally i think all of them theoretically should be the top paid players in the league due to their age and ability
Top paid players? So you're okay giving them 20% of your cap then I take it. If you're going to give players that are 21/22/23/24 the max, what are you going to give elite free agents who are 28/2930/31? A no trade clause as well, so their albatross contract is your burden to bear alone? Come on, think it through. These guys aren't going to be top paid players--nor do they deserve it yet.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i dont' think we'll see players with $6 mill contracts unless it's only for one year or so...there's just not enough room with a cap and linkage and all that to have a bunch of guys making that much. $4-5 mill i think will probably be the top # for now. just my opinion...

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Top deals under the old CBA for players coming off their entry-level contracts were about $3.5 million/year, weren't they? I can't see Heatley or Kovalchuk hoping for much more than that.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
The Maltais Falcon said:
Top deals under the old CBA for players coming off their entry-level contracts were about $3.5 million/year, weren't they? I can't see Heatley or Kovalchuk hoping for much more than that.
Didn't Kolalchuk make that much tax free playing in Europe last year?
He could use that as leverage to bargain for more.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think that they will get top money because they have few alternatives but to sign with the club holding their rights. My guess is that Vinny will receive $4 million. The problem is that all of the players you mention above are going to be reluctant to be the first to sign, thinking that they will take too little. Kind of like the 1st round draft choices in the NFL where they wait to see what everyone around them is getting. Once one signs, the rest will quickly follow.

St. Louis close to the same but increasing over the next couple of years to buy out his ability to become a UFA.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
getnziggywidit said:
Didn't Kolalchuk make that much tax free playing in Europe last year?
He could use that as leverage to bargain for more.

Think he made about $3M last year in Russia.

Chances are pretty good that Russian teams won't be handing over that same kind of money again. Unless they are overly fond of basically setting millions of dollars on fire, and roasting marshmellows over it. Besides, last year was the anniversary for Ak Bars and they wanted to win the title so they poured a ton of money into the team. One time deal. Kovalchuk will likely make more than that with this contract anyhow so even if the Russian teams were offering $3M (which they won't), he couldn't get any leverage out of that.

I still say $4M is the upper limit these two will get. $3.5M is about where I think the contracts will end up, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's a bit less than that.

Magnus Fulgur

Nov 27, 2002
If the Thrashers get away with paying Heater and Kovy less than 4.5m each, then they can go on a spending spree! (if they were so inclined).

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
getnziggywidit said:
Just wondering what leverage the RFAs have.
Yeah, that's a tough one. The leverage used to be that if you don't pay a guy, he could sit out. The player often knew that the team could trade him to another team who would gladly pay him. Now, the players might not have that out where they could force teams into a trade because I don't know how many teams will have the room under the cap to pay them.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
Dr Love said:
Top paid players? So you're okay giving them 20% of your cap then I take it. If you're going to give players that are 21/22/23/24 the max, what are you going to give elite free agents who are 28/2930/31? A no trade clause as well, so their albatross contract is your burden to bear alone? Come on, think it through. These guys aren't going to be top paid players--nor do they deserve it yet.

sorry i didnt properly outline what i meant, i phrased what i said wrong
i didnt mean they should get the 20% max salary
but they should be in the upper echelon paid players like top 10-15% in the league

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
coppernblue said:
sorry i didnt properly outline what i meant, i phrased what i said wrong
i didnt mean they should get the 20% max salary
but they should be in the upper echelon paid players like top 10-15% in the league
Small differences. So now when it's time to give them their next contract, you'll be going to 20%, because that's the only place to go. You want to give 21-24 year olds who have played at most three seasons (excluding LeCav) salaries in line with guys who have carried their teams to Stanley Cups and are halfway through HOF careers. That's career suicide for a GM.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
Troy McClure said:
Yeah, that's a tough one. The leverage used to be that if you don't pay a guy, he could sit out. The player often knew that the team could trade him to another team who would gladly pay him. Now, the players might not have that out where they could force teams into a trade because I don't know how many teams will have the room under the cap to pay them.

Not only that, but after Dec1, the teams can't sign/trade the player's rights even if they wanted to.

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
It will all depend on how many years they want to do these deals, I could see the back years of a 4 year deal being higher, maybe for example on Heatley. 3.3 in (05-06) 3.5 (06-07) 4.5 (07-08) 5.0 (08-09)

Realm

Jun 5, 2005
How fun would it be to be a GM this year? I know its a tough job, but all the possibilities would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad