BENCH Pavelec Thread!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Yup.

>HERE< is what current NHL goalies did between the ages of 18 and 26

Craig Anderson is the lone goalie that posted lower numbers and turned out to be pretty OK. That said, his SV% numbers have average or better in 8 of 11 NHL seasons. Pav is 1 for 7.

Ouch. That's not a pretty picture.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Pavs isn't a goalie that'll win games himself or make the clutch save. He needs the team in front of him to be sound defensively or have an offense that'll score 4+ goals a game. Lets be honest here, this team has neither of those qualities.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Pavs isn't a goalie that'll win games himself or make the clutch save. He needs the team in front of him to be sound defensively or have an offense that'll score 4+ goals a game. Lets be honest here, this team has neither of those qualities.

I guess I have to eat my words...but since I posted this from my iPod I put some syrup on it and begin chewing.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I guess I have to eat my words...but since I posted this from my iPod I put some syrup on it and begin chewing.

Now I don't know what to do.

Logic and history shows that Pav is terrible in the second half of back to back.

However I am a firm believer in riding the hot goalie.

What should we do?

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

Logic and history shows that Pav is terrible in the second half of back to back.

What should we do?

Jet, you can't be serious.
Montoya needs to play tomorrow.
The sample size for Pavs playing back-back is to great to ignore because of a good game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Jet, you can't be serious.
Montoya needs to play tomorrow.
The sample size for Pavs playing back-back is to great to ignore because of a good game.

Yeah but I feel like a hypocrite if I say that because I believe that Montoya should have started after his SO because he earned it.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah but I feel like a hypocrite if I say that because I believe that Montoya should have started after his SO because he earned it.

If it wasn't a back to back I would totally agree with going back to Pavs.
We generally assume its his conditioning levels that hurt him in the second game, right?
So now we want to play him after extra time??

Nope.
I'll be ripping Noel to shreds if we see Pavs tomorrow.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We generally assume its his conditioning levels that hurt him in the second game, right?

Nope.

I think in the light of day I will agree with you :)

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland

What should we do?

Monty needs to start.

Scoreres also need to show up.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

What should we do?

Pavalec was good, but I don't know if i'd call him hot. He didn't stand on his head and he's been pretty awful all year.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006

What should we do?

Let Pavs enjoy the confidence boost for a few days and start Montoya tomorrow night. Never play a goalie in back to back games on the road.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Nope.

I won't be betting on the Jets if they start Pavs.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The schedule looks ideal for a Montoya start. The team plays on Tuesday so it's only 2 nights off for Pavs if he sits tomorrow and starts against the Blues. Then it's 3 days until Chicago.

But, Pavelec's the undisputed starting goalie and he's just played one of his best games this year. Noel's been pumping his tires for a while...and he's never yet shown any particular inclination to play the backup on 2nd games of b2bs.

I think Monty's the right call to start tomorrow night, but Pavelec is what I'm expecting.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
So apparently that win made Pavs the leader in wins for a goalie with this franchise.

How can anyone want to bench a player with that record?!?

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
I'm not sure if you guys are watching close enough, the shot s sent at pavs missed the corners or were not raised, against most other teams their shooters would have scored on the magically appearing top corners.

They were there. Jets are lucky to have won. REwatch the game.
This is a problem.

White Out 403*

Pavelec is now 48th in the league for save % @ .902.

I can easily see Quick (yes that Quick.. weird hey?) , Ramo or Duby recovering and pushing fatso into the 50's for save %. I think this thread warrants a bump because we heard our fearless leader say post game he can't blame our goaltender and that the blame lies elsewhere. I can't put into words how great it will be the day Pavs and Noel are off my team and I don't have to hear this excuse making anymore.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think its possible that Noel know Pavs isn't playing well, but is protecting him since he feels we don't have a viable alternative.
If Noel believes that despite Pavs' poor play he still gives us our best chance to win, throwing him to the wolves accomplishes nothing.
Perhaps Noel isn't blind to Pavs' poor play, but rather is actually being an intelligent leader and trying to shield a player he knows he's going to need from a barrage of negativity.

Just a thought. Not sure if I believe it, but its worth throwing out there.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He doesn't seem to have a problem throwing the rest of the the under a bus though!

True! :laugh:

Here's a more serious thought: I'm sure he knows there are other problems, but he's removing the goaltending excuse in order to try to get players to step up their game. There are definitely issues in front of Pavs that need to be resolved, and blaming the goalie simply gives them an easy out.

:dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->