Confirmed with Link: Ben Simon out as Griffins coach

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why do people want the ECHL coach so badly?
couldn't you say the same thing about the ECHL compared to Canadian Juniors or the USHL?

Imo, it's just regular career path.

Coaches will come from lower leagues and then the get hired to better higher league with better salaries etc.

Like Derek Lalonde, and his 28-year coaching career path:

NCAA III Assistant --> NCAA Assistant --> USHL GM/Head Coach --> ECHL Head coach --> AHL Head coach --> NHL assistant --> NHL Head coach.

That's just the way it goes.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Not saying you can't, but people I think are just taking a guy with recent success on a team they know. There is plenty of others that did well, and none of us know really anything at all on whether he is or isn't a good coach or will be great in the AHL. Again, not against him, fine if he is the pick, but there are lots of choices, and my gut feeling is that Yzerman probably has 5-10 already in mind and Watson may be none of them.
"Recent Success"=Success in every one of the six seasons he's been a head coach.

He's 44 years old and been a consistent winner.

It is perfectly reasonable for people who have been watching that franchise over the last six years to think he may be a good candidate at the next level.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Echl is basically semi pro
Wrong. ECHL is a professional hockey league recognized by NHL and National Hockey League Players' Association.
Winning is likely far easier in the ECHL than AHL. I am also not saying keep Simon, as he needed to go, this isn't a why him or Watson. That said, every league in the World has other coaches that have similar success recently, why is Watson the choice? There is very likely many better and realistic choices than an ECHL coach. Not saying Watson is a bad choice, but I feel like people are just saying him, cause Toledo went on a run and they then went and found out who is coaching them.
Rosters in ECHL change every season, there is no continuity and continuity is the key to a long term success in any team sport. Dan Watson's team is a Kelly cup contender 6th year in a row, in a league which has no continuity. This alone is a proof of Watson's skills to create a winning enviroment, which GR needs to be.
2016-17: 43 players played in Toledo
2017-18: 37 players
2018-19: 44 players
2019-20: 39 players
2021-22: 45 players
2022-23: 46 players
Player traffic is insane in ECHL and Watson still found the way to succeed. Good working man can turn shit to chocolate and poor working man blames his tools.

Why Watson? You ask.

1. Success, most successful run as a head coach of Toledo.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 19-30-24 Toledo Walleye at eliteprospects.com.png

2. Familiar, Watson was Lalonde's assistant coach in Toledo 2014-2016. Which actually started the good trend in Toledo.
Screenshot 2023-04-17 at 16-17-02 Toledo Walleye at eliteprospects.com.png

Before he was promoted to head coach in 2016, Watson was the assistant assistant coach from 2009 to 2016. So im quite sure that the org knows exactly what kind of person and coach he is. This also leads up to the 3rd reason why hire Watson. Experience, Watson turns 44 in October and he's been a coach in pro level for 13 years.

And what has the "ECHL coach" got to do with anything? Doesn't matter where he comes from, creating the winning enviroment matters. And yes there are other coaches who are also done that, but they are the ones who are more unrealistic options. Watson is already in the organization, he is definitely the most realistic option.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not saying you can't, but people I think are just taking a guy with recent success on a team they know. There is plenty of others that did well, and none of us know really anything at all on whether he is or isn't a good coach or will be great in the AHL. Again, not against him, fine if he is the pick, but there are lots of choices, and my gut feeling is that Yzerman probably has 5-10 already in mind and Watson may be none of them.
Have you never paid attention to where coaches come from? They are almost always hired because they are known. Babcock coaching our kids in Cincinnati likely had way more to do with his hiring than beating the Wings in '03.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
next hire is big. I wasnt a fan of Simon but i dont think it was also fully his fault, that roster is utter garbage. cant win with junk.

that being said, Yzerman has a reallly busy summer fixing atleast two profesisonal hockey teams. hope he got some sleep all season because he'll be busy.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
next hire is big. I wasnt a fan of Simon but i dont think it was also fully his fault, that roster is utter garbage. cant win with junk.

that being said, Yzerman has a reallly busy summer fixing atleast two profesisonal hockey teams. hope he got some sleep all season because he'll be busy.

The roster this year was constantly in flux this year but the biggest problem about Ben Simon hockey is the almost total lack of a system. With very few exceptions over the years I'd watch skilled players on the griffins play dump and chase hockey even when they had the space to skate it. Defensemen very seldom joined the rush, and the defensive schemes at 5v5 and on the PK were simply not working.

I agree that the next hire is critical and they absolutely can't get it wrong. I'm hoping for either Dan Watson to be promoted from Toledo or for Tanguay to move down there and be HC for a couple of seasons with Watson as his assistant.

As an aside, one of the things I'm slightly worried about is all the injuries to our kids in Grand Rapids the last few seasons. Are they getting hurt in the gym? In practice or in games? I wish I had raw numbers to look at but it seems that there has been a rash of injuries in Grand Rapids.

Reactions: Debrincat93

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
What about Dan Cleary and Brian Lashoff? Will they maybe be involved in running GRG? Coach Lashoff and GM Cleary? Howard as G coach? Dekeyser as assistant coach?
Lashoff stated that he wanted to spend time with his family right now. He also said that he has a lot to offer in the hockey world and he would at some time, would be back in some capacity.

Cleary likes the developmental side of hockey, not into coaching. That is what I have heard in the past from him. Not sure if Howard, Osgood, or Dekeyser would want to be coaches down the road.

Reactions: SantosHalper

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Lashoff stated that he wanted to spend time with his family right now. He also said that he has a lot to offer in the hockey world and he would at some time, would be back in some capacity.

Cleary likes the developmental side of hockey, not into coaching. That is what I have heard in the past from him. Not sure if Howard, Osgood, or Dekeyser would want to be coaches down the road.
What is Osgood's experience up to this point? I know he was doing some scouting but I am struggling to recall a goaltender he suggested drafting who has developed in Detroit.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
One thing to think about is Yzerman saying during the coaching hire saga last year that he likes to hire people he’s familiar with and has a lot of inside info on. Watson would definitely fit the bill of being someone Yzerman is familiar with.

Also doubt Yzerman sends Cossa to the ECHL if he didn’t hold Watson in high esteem.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
The roster this year was constantly in flux this year but the biggest problem about Ben Simon hockey is the almost total lack of a system. With very few exceptions over the years I'd watch skilled players on the griffins play dump and chase hockey even when they had the space to skate it. Defensemen very seldom joined the rush, and the defensive schemes at 5v5 and on the PK were simply not working.

I agree that the next hire is critical and they absolutely can't get it wrong. I'm hoping for either Dan Watson to be promoted from Toledo or for Tanguay to move down there and be HC for a couple of seasons with Watson as his assistant.

As an aside, one of the things I'm slightly worried about is all the injuries to our kids in Grand Rapids the last few seasons. Are they getting hurt in the gym? In practice or in games? I wish I had raw numbers to look at but it seems that there has been a rash of injuries in Grand Rapids.
I’m curious about the injuries too. Am I making this up or did Yzerman, when he was hired, make some comment about the org looking into why so many players were getting hurt on the Wings? I seem to remember something being said along those lines, and a general discussion about changing the off-ice training that was in place under Holland, but it was years ago at this point. Anyway, if I’m right, that suggests that the org does believe off-ice training programs can impact injury severity or frequency, and that they don’t automatically chalk up a rash of player injuries as “players get hurt. It happens.”

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is Osgood's experience up to this point? I know he was doing some scouting but I am struggling to recall a goaltender he suggested drafting who has developed in Detroit.
He has been our goalie development coach before (maybe it was short term, don't remember) .Also I believe he's somewhat been involved in scouting.

A native of Mississauga, Ont., Paterson grew up a Detroit Red Wings fan, and he put together his best performances during his draft year when former Red Wings great and current goaltending development coach Chris Osgood was scouting Saginaw during its playoff run in 2012.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm glad this happened. Wasn't sure if it was going to be a clean sweep, but something had to happen they've been a tough watch most the season.

I'm actually looking at NHL retreads trying to get back a gig. Manny Legace just got let go and so did Brad Larsen. Good jobs for both guys to step into if they'd want them in Grand Rapids.

Last edited:

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Why do people want the ECHL coach so badly?
Because he was an asset coach to Lalonde in Toledo and knows his system, which is huge for continuity sake. Watson has been a head coach in Toledo since 2016 and has close to a 70% win percentage and several runs in the playoffs. He deserves a shot.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
People keep commenting that Watson knows Lalonde's system. That was seven years ago and in a much different league. Systems change, often based on personnel strengths and weaknesses.

At best, Watson knows Lalonde's tendencies. We assume it was a positive relationship. Watson's resume speaks for itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad