Ben Scrivens Appreciation

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Usually I'd say this is too much. But after a game where he all I hear is news on Reimer injury he deserves it. He cough hard in relief and has been solid this far this season. Reimer is t established or an elite goalie so all the fanfare in the game thread was funny..nobody spoke on a Rubens strong effort. Reimer has also been solid this year but has been shaky and has a LOT to improve upon. Media is still hung up on his strong start to his career which is why he's been pushed since his extension by Mlse.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Next game we'll be calling him Sievens. I'm not sold on him yet. Would rather have Reimer next game if possible. Hope his knee injury isn't to bad.

Don't want to see Scrivens for an extended amount of time.

komarovski

Feb 12, 2013
I'll give him a chance, but I'm not holding my breath that he's ready to carry a team in the NHL. If Reimer is down for any extended period, Nonis will have to look at an upgrade, you'd have to think. But give him a chance, and if things go south, weigh your options. The last thing I'd want to see is selling the farm for a short term solution.

Count Von Grabo*

I still have little faith in him. Reimer has made me a believer.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldn't put my money down on Ben. I like the guy and I believe he can be a capable backup but I'll be nervous if he's the starter for anything more than a game or two. He's a backup, and nothing more. Too shaky. Too many pucks sneak through and the dmen bail him out.

komarovski

Feb 12, 2013
I still have little faith in him. Reimer has made me a believer.

Not exactly fair to slite one player because you prefer another. Why not hope we have two #1 goalies? Ben has proven at every level he has played he can steal the position, and carry a team. I'm not convinced he can do that at the NHL level, but I'm hoping he can at least hold the team in a playoff hunt, if it's needed.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I've been thinking for a while that Scrivens ends up being the long-term answer for the Leafs in net. Hopefully this stretch of games will be a bit of a breakout for him. It would be great to have a goaltending controversy because we've got 2 good goalies for a change. :)

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
I have always thought Scrivens has potential to earn the #1 spot, so far at least he's been a very capable backup.

Both Scrivens and Reimer have calm, cool, and collected demeanors as goalies. We didn't see that with Toskala or Gustavsson.

I think we're all wondering about Reimer's long-term health. He's a very effective goalie when he's on his game, but he's becoming the glassman goaltender.

While Scrivens is doing well...I worry about about who's behind him if Reimer is out long term, because I don't think Rynnas or Owuya are anywhere near ready for the show.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
the jury is still out on scrivens but there is no denying he played a big part in the win last night. It could have been an ugly collapse but he held his own. Hopefully he can be consistent.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Solid win last night after going in cold, but we need Reimer back to make the playoffs this season.

Brymas McCaberle

Dec 12, 2009
He deserves a lot of kudos for coming in cold and taking a big part in preventing a potential team collapse after that 5 min penalty.

Must admit I was scared as hell when he came in, but he did really well holding the fort.

Last edited:

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
he certainly played okay last night. the rebound control problems are a real problem. he was better last night but still had lapses. he will not survive in the league, as a starter or back up, if he doesn't get that under control

Warrior16

Apr 30, 2010
Have to say, even with a 2 goal lead it was nerve racking seeing a cold Scrivens come in, but he played solid and made 30+ saves, good for him and hope this can be a good confidence booster for him moving forward.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
cartoon_chicken2.jpg
ben-scrivens.jpg

:laugh: Hopefully he can be solid for us till Reims is good to go.

iArts

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 3, 2010
Toronto,ON,Canada
Ho ho hold the **** up.

He was great yesterday, yes. But he wasn't nearly as good in the beginning of the season.

Ben, you are appreciated, but what you showed yesterday needs to happen on a consistent basis.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
He played well but our team needs to play that much more tighter and I'm sure they will. I've liked our overall defensive game.

We're giving up shots but we're also engaging in blocking and clearing the net.

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
my response is stable not pending on the last 2 games hes played..he still is no good..he is out of control and weak with the puck..even if this injury to reimer is not serious, this is a lesson to be learned that nonis needs a veterin backup goalie..someone cheap..im sure serveral people will disagree with me because most of us seem to forget things after a few wins:)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not a fan. It will be a shame if Reimer is down for any significant time. I'd expect they'd have to bring someone in.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Scrivens might be one of those goalies who has huge meltdown potential out of nowhere. He'll allow 8 in one game and come back like nothing happened. Roy and Cujo used to be like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad