Ben Eager or Brian Boyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafontaine2Mogilny

Sep 2, 2004
Who of these two are projected to have more of an impact at the NHL level? Assuming they both make their respective teams...
Don't project as per team needs(assume they both play in the same organization).

These guys are available in my waiver pool and need some info on the two.
Anything helps.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Ben Eager sounds like a Dave Scatchard type player. Great leader, strong instincts all around, better offensively than he will probably ever show (Scatch did have a few great seasons, much like Eager could do).

Not too sure about Boyle.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Personally, Im not a huge fan of Ben Eager, he's quick, he's agressive, and he can fight, but Ive never been a fan of his offensive skills. I dont see them translating to the NHL. I see him as a Tyson Nash type of player.

Boyle is a big monster who's a first round pick, and appears to have a lot more potential, especially offensively, then Eager.

His numbers as a freshman at BC werent great, but he established himself in the line up, which was a big step for Boyole, stuck behind some solid talent. This year is crucial for him to step up as a Soph.

Personally I'd take Boyle all the way.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Boyle is high end impact (potential top six power forward), Eager is low-end (third liner with tons of speed and physical play but hands of stone)

But Eager is a lot more likely to make it.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Stevex said:
But Eager is a lot more likely to make it.

If you mean that Eager is more likely to "make it" as in fufill his potential, I can agree with that. However, I strongly disagree that if Boyle doesn't make it as a top six, he won't make the NHL.

He has the tools to play on any line. You won't find too many guys who are huge, can shoot, skate and hit that don't find a place in the NHL.

Flyman

Jul 15, 2003
Stevex said:
Boyle is high end impact (potential top six power forward), Eager is low-end (third liner with tons of speed and physical play but hands of stone)

These "hands of stone" made a lot of damages during the Flyers mini-camp...He netted many impressive goals.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
I don't think Boyle will have any impact because I don't expect him to make the NHL. He's a Michael Rupp-type project that's well below where Rupp was at the same age. If Boyle does make the NHL, it won't be with the team that drafted him.

Eager will be a solid 4th liner that could crack the 3rd line.

FlyersProspect2

Jun 14, 2004
Chicopee, Ma
I Would like to see Eager develope into a get in the way in front of the next and pick up the trash kind of player. He is big enough to do that. I think he can be a second line player, but if it turns out he doesn't develope like that, he'll be a very good checking line player.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Buffaloed said:
I don't think Boyle will have any impact because I don't expect him to make the NHL. He's a Michael Rupp-type project that's well below where Rupp was at the same age. If Boyle does make the NHL, it won't be with the team that drafted him.

Eager will be a solid 4th liner that could crack the 3rd line.

I'm not sure how you can compare the two. Boyle was a freshman on a deep college team where he didn't get alot of playing time, and Rupp was in the OHL, where he didn't exactly light the world on fire. I think if anything, Boyle deserves another year to prove himself.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm not sure how you can compare the two. Boyle was a freshman on a deep college team where he didn't get alot of playing time, and Rupp was in the OHL, where he didn't exactly light the world on fire. I think if anything, Boyle deserves another year to prove himself.

I'm comparing them, because I've seen both players. They're almost identical to watch, but Boyle lacks natural scoring skills, especially hand-eye coordination. Ice time isn't given unless it's earned. It's not awarded to players with the most seniority. Rupp performed well enough on a very good OHL team to get ice time and he's a marginal prospect. Boyle couldn't get playing time on a very good NCAA team. Boyle has several more years to prove himself. No one can take that away. My opinion is that Boyle will not make it to the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad