OT: Ben Bishop signs with Dallas Stars (6 years, $4.9M AAV)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Vasilevskiy was nothing short of awful last year. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, months into years and apparently we juuussssttttt couldn't afford Ben Bishop. We don't have enough money to keep the best goaltender in team history oh no no no no... but wait??!! KEVIN SHATTENKIRK?! The guy who no-showed for the Caps all playoffs long? Don't you go anywhere Doug Armstrong!! I think we've got some spare change under the sofa cushions and in the car for the toll booths. Oh and while we're at it you can have Jonathan Drouin too.

**** me running I am so beyond pissed that I can't even think straight right now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Six ****ing years dude. That's not a contract I would be thrilled with.

Why not? Goaltenders play fantastic into their 30's. There's nothing saying that Vasilevskiy had to be the #1 or Bishop couldn't be here. It's not like we couldn't have wielded the two headed dragon in net and now we don't even have that. We've nothing to stop the bleeding if Vasy starts crying for 3 weeks because he lost his juice box and lets in 4 goals a game.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Vasy is the future though. That is why, it was never about the money, it was about giving the reigns to Vasy.

Based on what I saw last year I am scared to death by that. The whole reason the Lightning ever elevated to the status of a contender was because of the phenomenal play of Bishop in the first place.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think this is valid. The platooning thing doesn't really work too well. Once Vasy was the clear #1, he did pretty well.

Yup, and which is why can't judge Bishop's play in LA. He was the backup. Just a different mindset, and also physicality as well. When you have like one start in a week or two weeks, it throws your game off if you were a starter. Once Vasy took the starting role his game got better. Still has a lot to grow but he is young.

Based on what I saw last year I am scared to death by that. The whole reason the Lightning ever elevated to the status of a contender was because of the phenomenal play of Bishop in the first place.

Yeah Bishop is going to make Dallas a contender. But Vasy has been better like I said above since he took on the starting role. He has to still grow but he is young.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Alright I'm hijacking the thread. I'm gonna step out and cool off. I do not under any circumstance believe Vasilevskiy is ready to lead us to a championship unless he completely revolutionizes himself mentally. And this signing by Dallas only just makes things worse for me. No matter how I look at it I feel like we essentially made the decision to forgo half a dozen years of stability in Bishop on about half a year of mediocre goaltending by Vasy.

Again.. there was nothing stopping us from using them both. Sure you'd like a clear #1 but this isn't like Tortorella trying to figure out who to use between Grahame and Burke and the 25% rule followed by Denis and Holmqvist the next year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Dallas's situation with Lehtonen/Niemi didn't work out, which is another knock against platooning.

Choosing Vasy over Bish is absolutely a gamble. Changing the #1 to a younger, less proven guy pretty much always feels that way.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Umm this is the bolts board

We made the right decision on Bish.

This became it's own thread. I had posted in the original Bish trade discussion as the contract he ended up signing today was one of the driving factors in him getting traded in the first place.

Last edited:

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Wow, the decision obviously wasn’t about money because the difference between Vasi and Bishop is 1.4 million. I thought we had to move Bish for cap reasons. Just think of what we would have gotten for Vasi last summer, maybe a really good young RHD. We got almost nothing for either of them. Instead we paid a 40 pt third liner 4.5 for 7 years, insulted our second best forward, and tried to give away a 3rd OA for a 3rd pair PP QB. But hey, we got a 6th for Nesterov.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Look at the year/salary breakdown. 7mil first year, 6.5mil second year. There's no way we could have accommodated that. We need help in other areas and the next 2 years is our window.

The term is great for Dallas since he is getting 3.5 the last three years when he's on his downswing and front loaded because they can afford it. We couldn't afford a front loaded contract like that.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Look at the year/salary breakdown. 7mil first year, 6.5mil second year.

There's no way we could have accommodated that. We need help in other areas and the next 2 years is our window.

That is salary and is the owner's problem. The cap AAV can't be manipulated by salary structure. It is the same every year; 4.9

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Vasilevskiy was nothing short of awful last year. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months, months into years and apparently we juuussssttttt couldn't afford Ben Bishop. We don't have enough money to keep the best goaltender in team history oh no no no no... but wait??!! KEVIN SHATTENKIRK?! The guy who no-showed for the Caps all playoffs long? Don't you go anywhere Doug Armstrong!! I think we've got some spare change under the sofa cushions and in the car for the toll booths. Oh and while we're at it you can have Jonathan Drouin too.

**** me running I am so beyond pissed that I can't even think straight right now.

:laugh: Time to take a break from both hockey and the internet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad