Player Discussion: All things Emil Bemstrom

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I heard this about Davidson last year. Emil will go back to Sweden next season. He's not ready for NHL. Especially under Torts.

Different type of player. Different "roles" available this year. Enough with the "Especially under Torts", BS.

Bemstrom seems quite a bit more offensively skilled. His shot seems to be a legit weapon at ANY level. Can he do what he needs to do to get open and in scoring areas and be responsible enough when the other team has the puck? We will see, but I think the 3rd line LW spot is his to lose at this point. Same goes for Texier and the 3rd line RW spot. I think they seem to possibly fit really well. Could see Wennberg in the middle of them or either guy possibly be bumped up a line swapping with Bjorkstrand/Foligno.

I don't think we have any issue with LW at all. While ANY top line (top 6 imo) quality player would be good for the team, Anderson is a perfect example of a guy that can adapt to either side of the ice, and Bemstrom on his off wing seems to be the best option with his "elite" shot/one timer.

Anderson-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Texier
Robinson-Dubinsky-Nash

I mean, NOT ONLY do we have depth on D, we have it on offense. With or without the team signing a top line/top 6 player, I think maybe even a forward will or should be traded. Very well could see a D+F for F package. People love to get attached to prospects and young players with "potential", but we very well could see Texier or Bemstrom involved in a trade this summer. Would rather it be Wennberg, but if we really want a TOP forward a Wennberg-Nutivaara package will NOT do it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Different type of player. Different "roles" available this year. Enough with the "Especially under Torts", BS.

Bemstrom seems quite a bit more offensively skilled. His shot seems to be a legit weapon at ANY level. Can he do what he needs to do to get open and in scoring areas and be responsible enough when the other team has the puck? We will see, but I think the 3rd line LW spot is his to lose at this point. Same goes for Texier and the 3rd line RW spot. I think they seem to possibly fit really well. Could see Wennberg in the middle of them or either guy possibly be bumped up a line swapping with Bjorkstrand/Foligno.

I don't think we have any issue with LW at all. While ANY top line (top 6 imo) quality player would be good for the team, Anderson is a perfect example of a guy that can adapt to either side of the ice, and Bemstrom on his off wing seems to be the best option with his "elite" shot/one timer.

Anderson-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Jenner-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Texier
Robinson-Dubinsky-Nash

I mean, NOT ONLY do we have depth on D, we have it on offense. With or without the team signing a top line/top 6 player, I think maybe even a forward will or should be traded. Very well could see a D+F for F package. People love to get attached to prospects and young players with "potential", but we very well could see Texier or Bemstrom involved in a trade this summer. Would rather it be Wennberg, but if we really want a TOP forward a Wennberg-Nutivaara package will NOT do it.

I agree that we probably don't have a LW problem. We still have to try those guys at LW and see how it goes. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Anderson is a "perfect example" of a guy that can play both wings.

Even if Bemstrom is more advanced than Davidsson was, which I don't know about, a Bemstrom Wennberg Texier line might be good or it might be completely unusable. I suppose Nash's ability to move up for Wennberg is a slightly encouraging fallback. I'd still like to see another winger that can move up if Bemstrom sputters, I think Robinson is a pure 4th liner.

From what I can tell Bemstrom is a pure shot and not much else at this point. From this past year's video he looks like he'd be a waste at 5 v 5, and he'd be best off getting some more seasoning in the SHL.

Kellen

Apr 17, 2019
I want to take time with this kid. Don’t rush him. We honestly need him to be a home run imo. Should start in the AHL. Him and Texier should spend some good time in the AHL. These kids need confidence.

Reactions: majormajor

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
My gawd, if Jarmo is really planning to start the season with the types of lines being suggested here, get ready for a lottery pick next Spring. Wennberg centering a line with two rookies ??????? Are you kidding me ????? Talk about disaster.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
My gawd, if Jarmo is really planning to start the season with the types of lines being suggested here, get ready for a lottery pick next Spring. Wennberg centering a line with two rookies ??????? Are you kidding me ????? Talk about disaster.
Hey, he's responsible defensively, and those rookies are supposed to be able to produce points so he still won't have to worry about that bit... ;)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Bemstrom hoping for role with Blue Jackets after success in Europe
What I've done is already in the past," he said. "I have to forget that now. It's a new year. I can only look forward and will have to earn everything, but I am glad for the opportunity."
Bemstrom (5-foot-11, 177 pounds) signed a three-year, entry-level contract with Columbus on May 14.
"He passes the eye test," director of player personnel Chris Clark said. "He's going to be a really good player. For whatever reason, he found the net quite a few times last season. To lead that league as a young guy is pretty impressive."

The Blue Jackets considered Bemstrom, who mainly plays right wing but can also play left wing and center, one of their untouchable prospects at the 2019 NHL Trade Deadline in February.
"He's going to get a great opportunity here to not only play," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said at the NHL Draft in June, "but play a big role and be a goal-scorer on this level that he was in the Swedish League,"

Sounds like he can play wherever they need him, that will make him extremely valuable if he really can fill in or play in other spots as effectively as he plays RW.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
He's in over his head, imo. I've read that after 12/1 he can get sent to Cleveland instead of back to Sweden, so they may be waiting on that.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He's in over his head, imo. I've read that after 12/1 he can get sent to Cleveland instead of back to Sweden, so they may be waiting on that.

Blue jackets bottom 6 would be hard for anyone to mesh with today. Give Bemstrom some time, keep feeding him some pp minutes.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
Didn't see much of the Blue Jackets during the Return to Play series with the Lightning but he is among the leading scorers in Finland's Liiga on loan to IFK in Helsinki.

Is he capable of the same production in the NHL and where does he fit in Columbus' plans going forward?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think he’s our top prospect.

I think he can be another Bjorkstrand for us. 30 goal type. But most likely a 20 goal guy with a handful of assists. 2nd/3rd line guy.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I have bet on him in terms of acquiring many of his rookie cards so I believe and hope so.

Two years ago he was a rookie in the SHL and had the most goals. Last year was his rookie season in the NHL and played in 0 AHL games and had to get used to the North AMerican game on the fly. He needs more time, but I think 20-25 goals is definitely achievable this year given the playing time.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My take is that the jury is still out. His shot is his calling card but I’m looking more from the rest of his game. Maybe he will become a 25 goal scorer, but that will be down the road while playing behind Bjork and Cam.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How 10 NHL players and prospects are faring with European clubs

Bemström established himself with the Jackets last season, netting 10 goals in 56 games — he missed 12 contests with a rib injury — during his debut North American showing. The 2017 fourth-rounder is building on that promise by being one of the most productive players in Finland so far. Bemström, a 21-year-old Swede, has posted 8-9-17 totals in 15 outings while skating for HIFK, placing him fourth overall in league scoring.
By the time Blue Jackets camp rolls around, Bemström will be on his toes, ready to push for a prime-time role on a team that is perpetually in search of scoring.
“I think he hits the ground running,” said the scout. “They’ve really found something. He’s got a big, heavy shot.”

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Just read AP's article in TA. Sounds like the Finnish league is shutting down for three weeks as the country has a spike of CV cases. Nice that Bemmer has been able to meet up with Joonas for a weekly lunch...CBJ bonding off the ice :)

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Posted this in the GDT but curious to know others' thoughts on Bemmer.

I'll be honest, he hasn't exactly been put in the best situations to produce offensively but his (very young) career so far has left me extremely unimpressed. Jarmo has hyped him up so hard when it comes to helping our PP and his 'phenomenal shot' and so far... #52 'ain't it'.

Dating back to the first playoff game last season, Bemstrom has 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 9 shots on goal in his last 7 games.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Posted this in the GDT but curious to know others' thoughts on Bemmer.

I'll be honest, he hasn't exactly been put in the best situations to produce offensively but his (very young) career so far has left me extremely unimpressed. Jarmo has hyped him up so hard when it comes to helping our PP and his 'phenomenal shot' and so far... #52 'ain't it'.

Dating back to the first playoff game last season, Bemstrom has 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 points, 9 shots on goal in his last 7 games.
Again, play him in the top6 for significant amounts of time, increase his ice time and see what he’s got. If he doesn’t have it move on, but playing him with plugs like Nash and Jenner isn’t going to help.

Or put him in the minors. But this stuff Torts does where guys have to ‘earn’ it on the 4th line, prolongs everything. He did the same thing with Bjorkstrand.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You know who Bemstrom sometimes reminds me of? Brad Marchand.

Where was Marchand at his age? In the AHL. Marchand also didn't score in his first twenty game stint in the league, it happens.

I'd send Bemmer down. It's not like he's not getting chances to prove himself in Columbus. He's got the ice time and he's got the puck on his stick. But the AHL is easier and that's why it's better for development, it lets Bemmer work on his game.

Reactions: CPTN71

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is no minors right now, and honestly, if we do that he might just pack his bags and go to Europe.

He's got to start playing better

Reactions: I3LI3 and thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There is no minors right now, and honestly, if we do that he might just pack his bags and go to Europe.

He's got to start playing better

Then I'm telling Bemmer he can start complaining about playing in the AHL when he plays as many games there as Kucherov did. I don't want him to go to Europe, I don't think the big-ice Scandinavian leagues in particular are the right milieu for him, but he also can't hang that over our heads. You tell him to go where you think it is best for him.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He needs to play better AND he needs better opportunities/“usage”.

Even when he was a regular player they would call up Stenlund (a simply worse offensive player) and Torts would give him PP time over Bem. Bemstrom should be swapped with Atkinson when it comes to how Torts has been using the 2, imo, Bemstrom just needs “reps” at NHL speed.

However, playing with Jenner is not going to hurt anything, “development” or him simply getting points.

I think a huge problem is him not being fully confident yet at making the plays he can potentially make at the NHL level. I’d say the problem is him being a player that’s played less than a full year in the NHL, more so than Torts or even Bemstrom himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->