Peca-Evans-Belzile
Weise-Vejdemo-McCarron
Varone-Verbeek-Alain

Leskinen-Fleury
Ouellet-Juulsen
Alzner-Brook

Lindgren/Primeau

Laval has the chance of being scary good on paper

More exciting than the big club if that ends up being their line up. I plan to watch a bunch of games this year for once.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
i just said in another thread that I don't put much stock into the preseason and vets aren't giving 100% but last night shows how far we are in terms of lacking high end talent, Barkov my god is sick and I'm sure he wasn't trying hard but makes it look easy and to think he just turned 24 a few days ago. I know he's had some injury problems in the past but if he can stay healthy he's going to wreck the league for years to come.

With coach Q there now, I would be shocked if the panthers aren't a playoff team though they may need some help on the blueline as I know it was a major issue last year along with losing Trocheck for a chunk of the season.

Reactions: Rapala

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Poehling's looking good, but I don't think they're going to mess with the top 3 centers because of his pre-season play. I don't see KK and Poehling both as centers in the top 9 just yet. Perhaps RP gets his start on the 4th.

Tatar - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - KK - Armia
Lehkonen - Danault - Suzuki
Cousins - Poehling - Byron
(Thompson, Weal)

Shelter that 2nd line. Armia provides some size and 2-way play.
Suzuki and Poehling start out with reliable linemates.

The issue with this is that you're probably stuck giving Suzuki the toughest minutes. Domi is a lot of good things, but one has to really not have played attention to give him the toughest minutes.

EDIT : Make it Drouin - KK - Suzuki. 3rd line. Also, Tatar - Danault - Gallagher worked pretty well, so there's no reason whatsoever to change this.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
I just finished watching the game.

Kotkaniemi looked terrible, sure it's only preseason but the last time he had a game that bad was the rookie tournament over a year ago. I don't think it's fair to blame it on his linemates as he was the worst player on his line.

It matters because he's got to gain confidence early on here to really break out offensively. This is the time when he should be forcing Claude to play him over Danault. Hopefully he really picks it up.

Otherwise Fleury and Poehling had strong games. Drouin's game does seem different, but he's still making mistakes and now he's even less involved offensively.
That was the worst I've seen Kotkaniemi ever play. He was horrific. I think the first time he didn't screw something up was when there was something like 3 minutes left in the game. He managed to complete a pass that shift. He really needs to pick it up. I think I heard the announcer say he put up something like 15 pounds during the offseason which seems awfully lot. Not sure if that's good.

But Poehling looked really strong. Big body with enough skill and skating ability to be a threat. Plays hard. Surely he'll be in the opening night roster.

Reactions: Archijerej

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I've been quite impressed with Leskinen so far through camp and preseason. I'm very intrigued to see how he'll develop in Laval.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The issue with this is that you're probably stuck giving Suzuki the toughest minutes. Domi is a lot of good things, but one has to really not have played attention to give him the toughest minutes.

EDIT : Make it Drouin - KK - Suzuki. 3rd line. Also, Tatar - Danault - Gallagher worked pretty well, so there's no reason whatsoever to change this.

You give Suzuki tough minutes, but with line mates he could learn from. Good experience.

Drouin - KK - Suzuki ... very questionable defensively. Drouin is not the vet you want with these kids.

The reason to change Tatar - Danault - Gally would be to give KK an offensive weapon. Promote his offensive game, slowly swap roles with Danault, leading to Danault on 3rd line.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Poehling's looking good, but I don't think they're going to mess with the top 3 centers because of his pre-season play. I don't see KK and Poehling both as centers in the top 9 just yet. Perhaps RP gets his start on the 4th.

Tatar - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - KK - Armia
Lehkonen - Danault - Suzuki
Cousins - Poehling - Byron
(Thompson, Weal)

Shelter that 2nd line. Armia provides some size and 2-way play.
Suzuki and Poehling start out with reliable linemates.
Poehlin going to have a good NHL career. He has the speed. To go with size, decent hands and hockey sense. Nothing in his way really.

Reactions: Rapala and Ozmodiar

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You give Suzuki tough minutes, but with line mates he could learn from. Good experience.

Drouin - KK - Suzuki ... very questionable defensively. Drouin is not the vet you want with these kids.

The reason to change Tatar - Danault - Gally would be to give KK an offensive weapon. Promote his offensive game, slowly swap roles with Danault, leading to Danault on 3rd line.

Drouin - KK - Suzuki is questionnable; hence why, soft minutes. But I agree that you don't really want Drouin there.

This team isn't good enough anywhere to only give 13 or 14 minutes a night to Danault, unless the point is to tank. Frankly, Domi to wing makes more sense.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I got a question for you guys. Does anyone know what video Drouin and Ducharme looked at during the summer? Was it Debbie Does Dallas? Because it couldn't have been hockey videos.
The guy is obviously confused. If this keeps up, he'll end up looking like Yakupov did.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Drouin - KK - Suzuki is questionnable; hence why, soft minutes. But I agree that you don't really want Drouin there.

This team isn't good enough anywhere to only give 13 or 14 minutes a night to Danault, unless the point is to tank. Frankly, Domi to wing makes more sense.

No, it's a gradual transition. Instead of 18/14, perhaps it's balanced at 16/16. Gotta get away from Danault in the top 6.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No, it's a gradual transition. Instead of 18/14, perhaps it's balanced at 16/16. Gotta get away from Danault in the top 6.

Why is it a need? I mean... two players just had their career season playing with him in what was possibly their toughest deployment, and the only part of the game that worked bad for the Habs last season is the one Danault didn't have anything to do with.

Where has that "roster spot has to be given on merit" matra gone?

I mean, I get that you don't really pay attention to the fact that Domi's game at center isn't really that well-suited to tough competition, but you should probably make this less blatent.

Reactions: Rapala

habs73

Jul 29, 2006
If Chiarot is Alzner 2.0 ...

Thats what i was thinking last night watching him. Definitely more physical but probably going to have a similar impact if both are playing at their best. Thats 8 million bergy has thrown at defensive dmen, 10% of the Habs cap!

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Why is it a need? I mean... two players just had their career season playing with him in what was possibly their toughest deployment, and the only part of the game that worked bad for the Habs last season is the one Danault didn't have anything to do with.
LOL ... that's quite the statement.

I mean, I get that you don't really pay attention to the fact that Domi's game at center isn't really that well-suited to tough competition, but you should probably make this less blatent.

I didn't write anything about Domi's quality of competition. You're making stuff up. lol

The 16/16 split is between KK and Danault. KK was drafted to be a top 6 center. At some point you have to give him more responsibility. A top 6 winger.

Last edited:

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
A few observations from last night's game...

Vets - preseason, first game... they all get a pass although Drouin still looks too much like Drouin.

Cousins - glad we signed him for our fourth line. He can play.
Folin - I might be the only one but I really like his play. He's big, physical, good first pass, joins the rush.
Evans - Smart and hard working but just a bit missing with his skating for now. A very good AHLer who's just not good enough for the NHL?
Hudon - not much different from last year. I think he's gone before the season starts.
Reilly - terrible first period but got better. At best, our 4th LD in my opinion and may be gone before the season starts.
Fleury - two good games in a row but should start the season in Laval to play lots and could be a strong call up in case of injuries.
Leskinon - certainly mobile and a good puck mover. Start in Laval and impress there for a potential call up.

And finally Ryan Poehling - very impressive. He's a complete hockey player. Reminds me of a young Ryan O'Reilly. It's just a question now of what's best... 20 minutes a night in Laval to start the year or 12 minutes a night in Montreal on the fourth line? He's improved tremendously even from a year ago and has a much higher ceiling than I thought he did. Also, a much improved skater from a year ago. Out on a limb, I think he's a better overall player than KK at this point.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Everyone who says they “can’t believe how awful Drouin played,” and how he has no pride, etc....

Where have you been for the last two seasons?

The guy has been mailing it in since he got here and Bargain Bin anointed him as his superstar. No effort, no problem. Therrien had Desharnais as his pet, Bargain Bin has Drouin.

JD's leash will be much shorter.

At least DD showed solid hustle and fight.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
2 pre seasons games and everything is decided already. Give the habs the cup, Phoeling the Hart, Suzuki the calder, trade Price cuz Primeau will win the Vezna.

Pre season doesn't mean anything.

Drouin is stinky but I don't care if he scores 20 goals in the pre season or 0, it doesnt count. These 2 wins won't make a difference for the team making the playoffs. When the season starts of JD still sucks then he will deserve getting trashed.

Same with our rookies. Sure they can look good playing against the other teams AHL players. Remember Chaput last year he was beasting in pre season too.

One takeaway is that I think our AHL team will be pretty decent. Good in the pipes, D looks pretty good, and we have some firepower up front.

Reactions: Born in 1909

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
That was the worst I've seen Kotkaniemi ever play. He was horrific. I think the first time he didn't screw something up was when there was something like 3 minutes left in the game. He managed to complete a pass that shift. He really needs to pick it up. I think I heard the announcer say he put up something like 15 pounds during the offseason which seems awfully lot. Not sure if that's good.

But Poehling looked really strong. Big body with enough skill and skating ability to be a threat. Plays hard. Surely he'll be in the opening night roster.

I'm sure it means he's surely finished now.

The entire line was garbage, they never had the puck. I wouldn't place the blame solely on him.

A few observations from last night's game...

Vets - preseason, first game... they all get a pass although Drouin still looks too much like Drouin.

Cousins - glad we signed him for our fourth line. He can play.
Folin - I might be the only one but I really like his play. He's big, physical, good first pass, joins the rush.
Evans - Smart and hard working but just a bit missing with his skating for now. A very good AHLer who's just not good enough for the NHL?
Hudon - not much different from last year. I think he's gone before the season starts.
Reilly - terrible first period but got better. At best, our 4th LD in my opinion and may be gone before the season starts.
Fleury - two good games in a row but should start the season in Laval to play lots and could be a strong call up in case of injuries.
Leskinon - certainly mobile and a good puck mover. Start in Laval and impress there for a potential call up.

And finally Ryan Poehling - very impressive. He's a complete hockey player. Reminds me of a young Ryan O'Reilly. It's just a question now of what's best... 20 minutes a night in Laval to start the year or 12 minutes a night in Montreal on the fourth line? He's improved tremendously even from a year ago and has a much higher ceiling than I thought he did. Also, a much improved skater from a year ago. Out on a limb, I think he's a better overall player than KK at this point.

Agreed in general. I don't think Evans is good enough to displace anyone but I like him as a player. Hudon should not have been resigned.
Fleury, Leskinen and Folin all look pretty good. Will be a tough decision for the staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->