Belov

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
20 games in, I have to say I think this was a bad experiment. What do you guys think. he hasn't been horrible, he has been ok.... but not good enough. Klefbom needs to take his place and not look back.

ps. Belov with Larssen is a absolute disaster.

Oilers Apologist

Jun 28, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I think Belov brings more to the table than Nick Schultz. Belov is a big guy who isn't afraid to rush the puck and use his body. I see him as a solid 3rd pairing defenceman.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I have to admit I was expecting more.

More offense and more physicality/nastiness.

He's basically a slightly better Corey Potter, imo.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

Ya, thats pretty much spot on. and I don't want Potter in the lineup.

Get J Shultz back, give Klef a try. I hope both these guys are history to be honest. Potter and Belov that is.

Evets 81

Dec 29, 2012
B.C.
I think Belov has been good. Especially compared to some of the other defenders. I don't find myself shaking my head over the things he does very often. He isn't flashy or stand-outish or anything, but fairly solid, IMO. There may still be some adjusting going on in his game, since this is his first season on NHL ice, but he seems to be fitting in quite well.

He has this tendency to look lazy at times with his motions, but it doesn't seem to be the same type of lazy that the rest of them play with. He still makes the plays he needs to.

This physical game we heard so much about has been quite sparsely shown, but over the last few games it has been seen a bit more frequently I think.

I think he could be a solid fixture on the 2nd or probably 3rd pairing. We will see how things turn out by the end of this season/early-mid next year, if he gets resigned. Which I hope he does.

Last edited:

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
As mediocre as he's been, i don't think there's a D-man on Oilers roster who has been undoubtedly better. I think we have to wait until something at least remotely resembling a defensive system comes to be in this team before we start rating our D-men. Even a staple on a cup winning D has looked calamitous here so far.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
As mediocre as he's been, i don't think there's a D-man on Oilers roster who has been undoubtedly better. I think we have to wait until something at least remotely resembling a defensive system comes to be in this team before we start rating our D-men. Even a staple on a cup winning D has looked calamitous here so far.
This is the most important comment in the thread.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

good point.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Belov would be more of a weapon if the Oilers PP used his bomb from the point with someone in front every once in a while.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Belov at times has been our 2nd or 3rd best D-man.

He's shown some physicality, more offense would have been nice.

I'd re-sign him for the 3rd pairing. I definitely wouldn't say failed experiment..cough Grebeshkov cough.

He's also better defensively than Larsen, no one should have to be paired with Larsen ever.

cyril*

Putting Klefbom into this mess is a huge mistake. I still have no idea why they decided he was the guy to bring up.

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
I didn't get too see the game tonight but I'm going to venture a guess that he had an off night and this is somewhat of a reactionary thread… Because although he's no top pairing guy he's ben fairly solid and improving almost every game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Belov at times has been our 2nd or 3rd best D-man.

He's shown some physicality, more offense would have been nice.

I'd re-sign him for the 3rd pairing. I definitely wouldn't say failed experiment..cough Grebeshkov cough.

He's also better defensively than Larsen, no one should have to be paired with Larsen ever.

I'd like to see him back as well. I was hoping for more of an edge to his game, but he's a solid #5.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Belov is not the problem on this team. He's a solid No.5-6 guy on many teams. I'd say re-sign him for 1 or 2 years at the current rate. Ditch N.Schultz and Potter.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
Also you have to remember that when he decided to get really physical and nasty he got immediately ejected from the game. Time will have to pass before he tries some of that again. I don't remember anybody to release a comment backing him after that debacle, he might still be thinking that he's done something wrong.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
For the extent that he's played in the NHL, and how much it cost to acquire him (nothing), I think that the Belov experiment is actually a resounding success.

I mean, he's not a worldbeater by any means, but he's looked like a steady NHL defenseman, which beats several of the guys on our D.

He can make a simple first pass, too, which is a skill that seemingly eludes a lot of our players.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
He's better than i was expecting. He's basically Smid with a smaller contract, better shot and less english.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
20 games in, I have to say I think this was a bad experiment. What do you guys think. he hasn't been horrible, he has been ok.... but not good enough. Klefbom needs to take his place and not look back.

I won't debate belov even though I think he's been better than the alternatives.

I just don't understand why anyone thinks Klefbom is ready for the NHL, especially on this cluster of a team.
\maybe on a good team where he could be protected and spoon fed minutes, but not on the oilers, not now.

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
I'd say it's a success. Most games he's one of our 4 best D. I'd say other than Petry, he may be our 2nd best D this year.

Now if we had 2 legit top pairing D... that'd make him a 4/5 D which is what he should be. I see him as a comparable player to Ference this year (and Ference is a 3-4 million guy going into the year, Belov may have the same value.... just our system is horrible).

20 games adjusting to North American hockey (shortened training camp too)... I think he'll keep on improving as he gets comfortable... definitely one of the "bright" spots on the team (if not "bright" at least not one of the black spots)

skorf

Jun 30, 2013
Klefbom needs to take his place and not look back.

Klefbom has struggled this year in the AHL. Rushing him to the NHL would be a horrible idea.

Better to let a prospect develop before moving them up (haven't we rushed enough prospects lately)

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert

This is the thing that surprised me the most, where is the guy that stomped on Kuznetov?

Although I have been happy with Belov, he is however a 5-6 defenceman

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
I really think that it's going to take Belov more time to adjust to smaller ice, & better D partners. Larson is a horrible D man, and I can see why he was expendable by Dallas. He could be a very good piece going forward.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I really think that it's going to take Belov more time to adjust to smaller ice, & better D partners. Larson is a horrible D man, and I can see why he was expendable by Dallas. He could be a very good piece going forward.

Larsson is solid on the pp, horrible every where esle.

He needs to go.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
This is the thing that surprised me the most, where is the guy that stomped on Kuznetov?

For a guy who's new to the NHL, getting a game misconduct for the first big, clean hit he threw probably has him hesitant to try and be any nastier for fear of being branded a thug.

He's played 20 games on smaller ice, and we've seen him hit more and more as he's gotten used to the speed of the NHL, so I'm hoping by the next 20 we'll see more consistent hits from him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->