Belmont Park Islanders Arena Project - Upd 6/7 Construction ongoing, sched open for 2021-22 season

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Is Dolan lacking the funds?

Not much him lacking funds but the government would have to mitigate the cost of moving the arena if they want to renovate Penn station. And that's gonna cost a couple billion dollars to do so. And If Dolan doesn't like it he can challenge it and keep it through the courts.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Not much him lacking funds but the government would have to mitigate the cost of moving the arena if they want to renovate Penn station. And that's gonna cost a couple billion dollars to do so. And If Dolan doesn't like it he can challenge it and keep it through the courts.
agreed. and dolan has the money to fight it as long as it takes.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The Floral Park clowns in the suit claim the project is larger than originally proposed, when in fact the exact opposite is true: it was scaled back from the original plan as a concession to local groups. ANY judge who grants an injunction should be impeached immediately as an act of civil hygiene.

I doubt the lawsuit will go anywhere even if it it'll be hanged up in courts for years.

They'll need to prove that the project violates actually state law and the fact that the project was scaled back from the original plan shows as you say the opposite. And i don't think you can just put anything there next to Belmont parks with out considering impact to the environment.

What i want to know how exactly will they even afford the lawsuit especially if its a very very long one?

Also i wonder if this lawsuit is over the whole issue is they want something else to go there like housing instead and throwing a tantrum cause the state isn't doing that. I don't think you can punt anything there just for the sake of putting it there due to zoning codes.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
lol this happens all the time with stadiums and arenas. Not a big deal.
Also OVG managed to get Seattle's arena that is currently under construction through "the Seattle Process" with out anyone suing. If they can do that they can get through this lawsuit just fine.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Could their goal be, given they have little to no ground for a lawsuit, to go with it anyway, in hopes of delaying the project just for the sakes of it.

Sometimes people just try to gain time until new politicians, more open to their ideas get to power.

Not saying it's worth it or it would work, but then again, what's their cost of ''suing'' ? Lawyer time that they probably get for free.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Could their goal be, given they have little to no ground for a lawsuit, to go with it anyway, in hopes of delaying the project just for the sakes of it.

Sometimes people just try to gain time until new politicians, more open to their ideas get to power.

Not saying it's worth it or it would work, but then again, what's their cost of ''suing'' ? Lawyer time that they probably get for free.

Doubtful that happens. OVG could sue the state if NY tries to stop the project. Environmental lawsuits don't kill projects just delays and makes them cost more.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
With how much OVG is paying on its Seattle center arena project, i doubt that would be a problem.

I don't either.... but like everything else you can't compare the two projects simply based upon the premise that "OVG gots lots o' moola." :)

Much of that Seattle expense came after they began the project. Belmont's still barely even broke ground. IF they get into the heavy hauling at Belmont then the game changes.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't either.... but like everything else you can't compare the two projects simply based upon the premise that "OVG gots lots o' moola." :)

Much of that Seattle expense came after they began the project. Belmont's still barely even broke ground. IF they get into the heavy hauling at Belmont then the game changes.

Note Seattle's project cost way more than a typical arena project (ground up from scratch) cause it has to keep the roof line in place and basically dig down then of course mitigation impact of that digging and the noise impact. They are trying to design the best looking arena with that roof restriction. So yea its gonna increase the cost by quite a bit and i am not surprised it did. I knew it was gonna a massively expensive project (more than again typical arena projects) long before OVG even showed up and to be frankly I didn't think it was even possible due to that roof restriction but well OVG proved a lot of people wrong.

It was a rather surprise that no one even sued over it especially with how quick it got through the city. it was a basically an anti-Seattle project. (aka none of the slow and years of study + lawsuits)

I'm sure OVG (Tim Leiweke) had on several occasions probably dealt with lawsuits like this over other arena projects he has done.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Note Seattle's project cost way more than a typical arena project (ground up from scratch) cause it has to keep the roof line in place and basically dig down then of course mitigation impact of that digging and the noise impact. They are trying to design the best looking arena with that roof restriction. So yea its gonna increase the cost by quite a bit and i am not surprised it did. I knew it was gonna a massively expensive project (more than again typical arena projects) long before OVG even showed up and to be frankly I didn't think it was even possible due to that roof restriction but well OVG proved a lot of people wrong.

It was a rather surprise that no one even sued over it especially with how quick it got through the city. it was a basically an anti-Seattle project. (aka none of the slow and years of study + lawsuits)

I'm sure OVG (Tim Leiweke) had on several occasions probably dealt with lawsuits like this over other arena projects he has done.

You missed the point Tommy...

The Key Arena renovation originally was supposed to cost $700 million, right?? Now.... after already they start into it.... the price tag has jumped to almost $950 million. But they're already committed to the project so they really can't just say "it costs to much now" and leave the roof floating in the air forever, correct??

At Belmont they really haven't even broke ground yet. So there's no real commitment to the project yet (over than the archetect's fees and such). So if these groups manage to tie up the project into the courts for years it is quite possibe for OVG to get to the point where "this isn't worth it" and back off. Wouldn't be the first time in history that this has happened and that's what the group who's suing is hoping for, if they don't luck out and find a judge who sides with them.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
King County has always inserted themselves into Seattle Center, tommy, no matter how many times the Coliseum has been done, why force the tenants at SCC to play elsewhere while the renovation continues....

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I think that’s the point.... delay a project to where it no longer becomes financially worthy to complete.
If this gets pushed back after Barclays no longer becomes a part Time option what do the Isles do at that point MSG doesn’t have the dates but Newark and Buffalo might.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
If this gets pushed back after Barclays no longer becomes a part Time option what do the Isles do at that point MSG doesn’t have the dates but Newark and Buffalo might.
why would the Pegulas or the Devils allow that, Centrum, how would you feel if an NHL team took dates away from the Railers? it is doubtful Worcester fans are all Islander fans

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
King County has always inserted themselves into Seattle Center, tommy, no matter how many times the Coliseum has been done, why force the tenants at SCC to play elsewhere while the renovation continues....

Umm this is the first time that building has actually had an major seriously rebuild. Btw King county government isn't involved with the project. its 100% private. Seattle owns the building and they are happy its finally going to be making money with a major anchor and hopefully in the next decade 2 major anchors.

of course the Storm have to play else where but they too are gonna benefit from the new building there. Note the entire building is pretty much gone but the roof.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Umm this is the first time that building has actually had an major seriously rebuild. Btw King county government isn't involved with the project. its 100% private. Seattle owns the building and they are happy its finally going to be making money with a major anchor and hopefully in the next decade 2 major anchors.

of course the Storm have to play else where but they too are gonna benefit from the new building there. Note the entire building is pretty much gone but the roof.
I don't think it's just the Storm, tommy, isn't Seattle U a tenant at SCC

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don't think it's just the Storm, tommy, isn't Seattle U a tenant at SCC

Not anymore. They are playing in a separate building and building a new one for themselves. Look unless SCC was gonna approve a building in Seattle that isn't at Seattle center or the arena would have been build out side of Seattle city limits something would had to be done to Key arena anyways.

The storm btw are quite pleased with the arena getting a redo (minus the roof). They'll make more money.

Anyways with that said lets stick to the discussion about belmont arena plan. I only mention Seattle for a bit cause its also an OVG project and $$$ shouldn't be a problem for Belmont given how much OVG is throwing at the arena in Seattle. (930m) even if construction is delayed due to political red tape.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Not anymore. They are playing in a separate building and building a new one for themselves. Look unless SCC was gonna approve a building in Seattle that isn't at Seattle center or the arena would have been build out side of Seattle city limits something would had to be done to Key arena anyways.

The storm btw are quite pleased with the arena getting a redo (minus the roof). They'll make more money.

Anyways with that said lets stick to the discussion about belmont arena plan. I only mention Seattle for a bit cause its also an OVG project and $$$ shouldn't be a problem for Belmont given how much OVG is throwing at the arena in Seattle. (930m) even if construction is delayed due to political red tape.

Belmont is happening, tommy, whether you agree with it, or not

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->