Belmont Park Islanders Arena Project - Upd 6/7 Construction ongoing, sched open for 2021-22 season

Shiba

May 21, 2021
pretty much each new arena looks around and takes things that they like from other arenas and incorporates it into theirs if it makes sense.

Be interesting to see a comparison between the Isles vs the Kraken's arena. Brand new vs a Reno down to the studs and roof.
Both are being made by the same group, as well (Oakview Group). I think they are both going to be phenomenal arenas (though I am obviously a bit partial to UBS being an Islanders season ticket holder).

TonySoprano

Apr 20, 2019
Satriale's
Lou Lamerillo had a part in designing the Rock when he was with us...and I think the Rock is an amazing arena. Did he have a say in UBS?

Shiba

May 21, 2021
Lou Lamerillo had a part in designing the Rock when he was with us...and I think the Rock is an amazing arena. Did he have a say in UBS?
Apparently Lou and Trotz both had significant input in regards to the 25k square-foot locker room facility and other aspects of the arena that players wanted and would find beneficial. This is truly going to be one of the best arenas in the league, if not, the best when it opens.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC

I've been to the Rock a couple of times. I thought it was just a very common modern arena built in the 2000s. It was nice but it wasn't exactly unique or intimate. I really hate the vaulted roofs of these arenas.

Ownership has the ultimate say in arena design, but he probably lent his help to designing locker rooms and office facilities.

Lame Lambert

Fire Me
Mar 5, 2015
Just got to tour the construction site. Reposting this from the NYI board:

This is the Eastern side of the building. The main entrance is to the right on the NE corner. The big glass windows are a restaurant that will be open to the public. The liquor license to the building extends all the way to the green construction fences (not pictured) allowing them to sell alcohol outside of the building in the courtyards:

pbhtAKg.jpg

TPDms5A.jpg

The main entrance. Escalator install is in progress.

YEzEl68.jpg

M9L5CVl.jpg

The main concourse after coming up the stairs from the entrance. Escalators to the 200s and 300s are on the left as well as the team store. The main concourse is massive:
qsI6iba.jpg

Bar area overlooking the 100s from the main concourse:
GLqvOl1.jpg

iLo8dyE.jpg

From the top row of the 100s. Scoreboard is being assembled at center ice and the seat install is in progress:
m0P57AO.jpg

LaDEcPE.jpg

The indoor/outdoor bar overlooking the grand stand:
VF14UVA.jpg

2VtL9Vt.jpg

7VVSRok.jpg

The view from the back of the 200s. The 200s are 5 rows that sit above the suites. The 300s are above with 10-12 rows of seats. The seats have a ton of padding and look really comfortable:

fy6KLWW.jpg

lajXQLi.jpg

CUPHOLDERS!!!!!!

fvZ71fn.jpg

Upper 200s/300s concourse:
H9Rb6Hb.jpg

Lame Lambert

Fire Me
Mar 5, 2015
when is the completion date on this?
Supposed to be ready in time for start of season, but it’s looking like November now with the 1st month of the season on the road. The Islanders have a temporary lease for next year at Nassau Coliseum if any dates are needed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Supposed to be ready in time for start of season, but it’s looking like November now with the 1st month of the season on the road. The Islanders have a temporary lease for next year at Nassau Coliseum if any dates are needed.

What in the world is NYI thinking by having a month on the road?

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Chris Botta says the Islanders might play a few games to open the season at the Coliseum:

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
Just wondering about the transit. I know there is an LIRR station there or near by. Can you get to any of the LIRR lines from there?

Like when I lived in Huntington and worked in Manhattan I had to park my car at the Westbury station in the morning if I wanted to go to a game after work and then drive to the Coliseum from Westbury.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Just wondering about the transit. I know there is an LIRR station there or near by. Can you get to any of the LIRR lines from there?

Like when I lived in Huntington and worked in Manhattan I had to park my car at the Westbury station in the morning if I wanted to go to a game after work and then drive to the Coliseum from Westbury.
There is a station right next to the arena, but that station is only used for events only and trains coming from east can't access it.

So they are building another station on main line thats about 10 minute walk from the arena.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
There is a station right next to the arena, but that station is only used for events only and trains coming from east can't access it.

So they are building another station on main line thats about 10 minute walk from the arena.

Does that station connect to all the lines?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Is it just me, or is the angle of those seats really, really low? It gets you footroom, I guess, but those views look pretty dang far from the ice.

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
I like the Pru Center but I mean if Lou designed it it's nothing special or memorable. Upgrade over Brendan Byrne but it's a fairly generic new-ish arena in line with all the other mallrinks. Nothing regarding the layout of the stands or the architecture that's different or that wows you

I like that the new Isles building is mostly lower bowl, which is how Nassau was. Seems like it's like 14,000 seats in the main lower tier and 3,000 up top. Plus a very low roof so it will generate a ton of noise

Reactions: TorontoSports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->