Belleville Senators Future

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I seriously wonder why the Sens didn't put their AHL team in St. John's, despite Melnyk being too cheap for St. John's. But he'd make more money there than in Belleville.

Every AHL team in St. John's has had to subsidize a significant portion of every away teams travel costs. There's not many flights in and out of there even on days there's not horrible weather. They're also paying an insane amount for every single away game. Even with average attendance of 6,000-7,000, I can't imagine they're making much more money there than in a location where it's a car ride for a callup and a reasonable bus trip away from every single in conference away game save for Charlotte.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Every AHL team in St. John's has had to subsidize a significant portion of every away teams travel costs. There's not many flights in and out of there even on days there's not horrible weather. They're also paying an insane amount for every single away game. Even with average attendance of 6,000-7,000, I can't imagine they're making much more money there than in a location where it's a car ride for a callup and a reasonable bus trip away from every single in conference away game save for Charlotte.

Better than putting a QMJHL/CHL team there. It's rather sad because they can support a hockey team, but St. John's is far away from everything.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
wrong....

same thing happened with Abbotsford

the AHL did the travel subsidies for both teams, some of you newcomers don't remember that, but the veterans do.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
wrong....

same thing happened with Abbotsford

the AHL did the travel subsidies for both teams, some of you newcomers don't remember that, but the veterans do.

The veterans do remember it, pity you don’t. Thanks @210 he’s had some issues with facts and dates recently. I’ll leave this reading material here for him.

Willing to go the distance: Travel costs have always been a reality for St. John's pro hockey teams | The Telegram

It's a done deal: St. John's to join ECHL beginning next season | The Telegram

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
when did that change

It was always that. The team pays the league the amount of the subsidy, and the league disperses it to the traveling clubs. I'm not certain this is true in the ECHL, but for the AHL IceCaps there was a maximum each team could spend traveling to St John's that would be subsidized, and anything beyond that amount fell on to the visiting club.

No money for the travel subsidy came out of anyone's pocket other than the subsidizing team.

(Edit: quoted wrong post).

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It was always that. The team pays the league the amount of the subsidy, and the league disperses it to the traveling clubs. I'm not certain this is true in the ECHL, but for the AHL IceCaps there was a maximum each team could spend traveling to St John's that would be subsidized, and anything beyond that amount fell on to the visiting club.

No money for the travel subsidy came out of anyone's pocket other than the subsidizing team.

(Edit: quoted wrong post).
thanks, that's what I WAS THINKING OF, The subsidy, let us know if that is true in the E AS well....

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If the basis of this is the sens moving to Quebec city then there is no point of this thread.

Are there "Real" talk of the Sens moving to Quebec City?

No it makes absolutely no sense. Smaller city significantly, dual home income is lower and there is less private.

Boxer Courage

May 26, 2018
I’ve been to Bulls games and think Belleville is a wonderful place, but am surprised that they are in the AHL, and from the onset have quietly questioned the long term viability there. If Quebec were to gain an NHL team, I suspect there AHL team will eventually be in or near Quebec province with my first thoughts being (given there is no unforeseen QMJHL movement that vacates a viable market):

St John’s (the “close” is relative here)
Cornwall
Trios Rivieres

If the franchise happens to be the Senators (and I don’t think it will be), then they would remain active in Belleville for 1-2 seasons prior to relocating.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’ve been to Bulls games and think Belleville is a wonderful place, but am surprised that they are in the AHL, and from the onset have quietly questioned the long term viability there. If Quebec were to gain an NHL team, I suspect there AHL team will eventually be in or near Quebec province with my first thoughts being (given there is no unforeseen QMJHL movement that vacates a viable market):

St John’s (the “close” is relative here)
Cornwall
Trios Rivieres

If the franchise happens to be the Senators (and I don’t think it will be), then they would remain active in Belleville for 1-2 seasons prior to relocating.

They'd at least be left with a viable OHL arena

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I seriously wonder why the Sens didn't put their AHL team in St. John's, despite Melnyk being too cheap for St. John's. But he'd make more money there than in Belleville.

Because the idea was to move the affiliate closer to Ottawa, not further away.

Reactions: JMCx4

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Because the idea was to move the affiliate closer to Ottawa, not further away.

And you have to look a the total economic picture, not just the minor league portion. The NHL team saves money on salaries the faster they can get somebody up and back to the minors. If they are able to save a half years salary on a player that is ate least another 300-400k of savings to the NHL team.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Garbage...Let me give you some examples on this end here...

Does your team president have staff members call him on his cell phone to "rescue"him with some fake crisis to keep him from having to talk to season ticket holders? Mike Gordon of the Chicago Wolves does.

Has your team president been called out and had a "Come to jesus"meeting with his boss and team owner because he was only passing the good comments from fans to the owner and shielding him from the bad? Mike Gordon of the Wolves has.

Has your team held a promotion where they were giving something out only to tell season ticket holders that in order to get that promo item they would have to buy a separate ticket in the designated section like everyone else? The Chicago Wolves did...they were left with CASES of the item leftover only to try and sell them at the end of the season merch sale. And then to compound their stupidity and to show they didn't learn anything that year they did it again the next 2 years before discontinuing the idea of have to buy a ticket in a certain section of the building.

Has your team president told both the booster club and fans of the team that he didn't want them going to other teams arenas and supporting the team because "Why would you spend your money in another teams arena...We want you spending your money in ours." direct quote! Only for him and members of the front office to charter a bus and you guessed it,,,go to another teams arena for a game and spend money there. Mike Gordon did.
These are just some examples...I'm sure I could think of more given time.

I love it! It is like the Twilight Zone!

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
There was speculation on the bruins thread on What happens if the Ottawa Senators go to Quebec city at the end of the year does their ahl team go to another market The attendance is last in the AHL Quebec is close to former AHL markets Manchester NH and Portland Maine
quebec city to portland maine - Google Search
quebec city to manchster nh - Google Search

sorry sens to quebec THIS year? Not going to happen till the owner is gone and that is at leas 5 years down the road

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
210 ,
What's your feelings on.
The railers possibly Courtin the bruins.
Down the road if long island becomes a thing.
Sorry in advance for thread jacking.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Belleville is way to small a market to sustain a AHL teams unless Ottawa wants to heavily pay for it's operation. But really can't think of another city would support an Ottawa run AHL team.
St Johns is not an option. Not only would the team have to subsidize teams for air travel, but it a poor play place to develop players. The awful travel schedule takes away from the players rest and practice. The Leafs loved St John's, the people, the attendance, the total provincial support but not the travel.
Expanded coverage on the NHL on TV...every night has hurt AHL and minor league attendance in general. People find other ways to spend their time and money than going to a minor league game in the winter.

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
No I think tv contracts wouldn't hurt. I talk to most fans north of Glen's falls. People don't pay attention cause Tix prices are two high.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->