B-Sens Belleville 2019-2020 Season Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Formenton reminds me of Kris Krieder, both are lanky LW speeders who play with an edge. Who do people see starting in Belleville next season?

2020 - 2021 Ottawa Sens:
Tkachuk - White - Ryan
Duclair - Tierny - C. Brown
Paul - Chlapik - Batherson
Hawryluck - Anisimov - Sabourin/???

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boro - Zub/UFA

Nilsson - Hogberg/Daccord

2020 - 2021 Belleville Sens:
Balcers - L. Brown - Abramov
Formenton - Norris - Davidsson
Gruden - Beaudin - Kelly
Labate - Kastelic - Carcone/Novak/???

Lajoie - Brannstrom
Aspirot - Thomson
Englund - Jaros

Daccord - Gustavsson/Mandolese

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
5 years!? In 5 years Chabot will be the same age as Karlsson and Stone were when our window with them was deemed to be closed.

We’ve already been a basement team for 3 seasons, and there’s no such thing as an 8 year rebuild. That’s just called being a dead end organization (see: Buffalo).

We should be a playoff team 21/22, without question. If we aren’t, it means our prospect pool was never very good and we shit the bed in this upcoming draft.

In 5 years we should be in the second half of our “window”.

Exactly but initially, Aragorn wasn't talking about contending, he was talking about contending for a playoff spot, which is very different... One of his exact quotes that I had dig out :

"I think we are 3 to 5 yrs away from this team competing for a playoff spot"

I mean, if we are 3-5 years away from being in a playoffs race, you can already classify this rebuild as a failure and look to start over again as soon as possible. But that's a bit crazy talk when you look at the best assets in the organization :

Chabot (23 y/o)
Balcers (23 y/o)
Batherson (22 y/o)
Brown (22 y/o)
Norris (21 y/o)
Tkachuk (20 y/o)
Brannstrom (20 y/o)
Formenton (20 y/o)
JBD (20 y/o)
Thomson (19 y/o)
Pinto (19 y/o)
3rd OA in 2020 (18 y/o)
5th OA in 2020 (18 y/o)
~ 15th OA in 2020 (18 y/o)

So if he has shifted his statement to "this team is 2 to 5 yrs away from contending", then it makes more sense, because realistically, it should take at least 2-3 seasons before this team turns into a contender. But if it takes 3-5 years before contending for the playoffs, then forget it, we're Buffalo with Arizona's finances. And that would be the worst organization in the NHL by a country mile which is very possible as we already have worst ownership.

Reactions: NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Exactly but initially, Aragorn wasn't talking about contending, he was talking about contending for a playoff spot, which is very different... One of his exact quotes that I had dig out :

"I think we are 3 to 5 yrs away from this team competing for a playoff spot"

I mean, if we are 3-5 years away from being in a playoffs race, you can already classify this rebuild as a failure and look to start over again as soon as possible. But that's a bit crazy talk when you look at the best assets in the organization :

Chabot (23 y/o)
Balcers (23 y/o)
Batherson (22 y/o)
Brown (22 y/o)
Norris (21 y/o)
Tkachuk (20 y/o)
Brannstrom (20 y/o)
Formenton (20 y/o)
JBD (20 y/o)
Thomson (19 y/o)
Pinto (19 y/o)
3rd OA in 2020 (18 y/o)
5th OA in 2020 (18 y/o)
~ 15th OA in 2020 (18 y/o)

So if he has shifted his statement to "this team is 2 to 5 yrs away from contending", then it makes more sense, because realistically, it should take at least 2-3 seasons before this team turns into a contender. But if it takes 3-5 years before contending for the playoffs, then forget it, we're Buffalo with Arizona's finances. And that would be the worst organization in the NHL by a country mile which is very possible as we already have worst ownership.

This rebuild can’t be a failure yet ... one season ago we still had MD/MS/EK/RD/CA. We are still moving away from dead money and our rookies and prospects are yet to start playing.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Formenton reminds me of Kris Krieder, both are lanky LW speeders who play with an edge. Who do people see starting in Belleville next season?

2020 - 2021 Ottawa Sens:
Tkachuk - White - Ryan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boro - Zub/UFA

Gruden - Beaudin - Kelly

Lajoie - Brannstrom
Aspirot - Thomson
Englund - Jaros

BIG issue with Senators if Sabourin is on the team next season. He was a nice story and kept a spot warm but that has to be filled by another prospect at this stage. I anticipate that Formenton will be in the NHL and then you have at least 1 other roster spot for a scratch so probably Balcers. Depending on trades a few more slots may open up.

Would imagine the D looks quite similar but again an extra body will be around so prob between Jaros and Brannstrom.

The Hog will be the back-up to Nilsson with Daccord most likely the starter for Belleville. Hog is on a 1-way contract this year and earned his back-up role with solid play last season when called up.

Kelly is my dark horse to have a breakout season in the A - not Formenton/Norris style breakout but big leap from last year and contributing more on the scoresheet while being a pain to play against.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

2020 - 2021 Ottawa Sens:
Tkachuk - White - Ryan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boro - Zub/UFA

Gruden - Beaudin - Kelly

Lajoie - Brannstrom
Aspirot - Thomson
Englund - Jaros

Wait did you just call Kreider lanky? :huh:

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

2020 - 2021 Ottawa Sens:
Tkachuk - White - Ryan

Chabot - Zaitsev
Wolanin - Reilly
Boro - Zub/UFA

Gruden - Beaudin - Kelly

Lajoie - Brannstrom
Aspirot - Thomson
Englund - Jaros

Boro just recently went and did the ugly breakup move and he purged his social media of everything Sens related...

Not looking like hes coming back unfortunately :(

Reactions: Cosmix

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Boro just recently went and did the ugly breakup move and he purged his social media of everything Sens related...

Not looking like hes coming back unfortunately :(
Probably ask too long term and not want to sign for one year. It’s a good thing, next one Anderson please

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
When Sens players get older and more mature, when they approach or have reached their UFA status and know they can get paid, when they realize that they now have all the leverage, I'm afraid they might NOT want to work for a guy named Eugene Melnyk. I don't blame them, even if you love the city of Ottawa and their fans, if you have the choice to play in a warmer weather, for more money, with less taxes and normal ownership, what would you do?

I really hope Melnyk doesn't approach any of the young guys and start alienating them. Anyway we'll need new ownership with PR respectability and deeper pockets sooner than later

Reactions: Cosmix

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
When Sens players get older and more mature, when they approach or have reached their UFA status and know they can get paid, when they realize that they now have all the leverage, I'm afraid they might NOT want to work for a guy named Eugene Melnyk. I don't blame them, even if you love the city of Ottawa and their fans, if you have the choice to play in a warmer weather, for more money, with less taxes and normal ownership, what would you do?

I really hope Melnyk doesn't approach any of the young guys and start alienating them. Anyway we'll need new ownership with PR respectability and deeper pockets sooner than later

The bolded is much more meaningful than who the owner is. Most players don't care about or ever see the owner. In any case, if we lose Boro, for whatever reason, it is not a bad thing for the hockey team.

Reactions: Crosside

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The bolded is much more meaningful than who the owner is. Most players don't care about or ever see the owner. In any case, if we lose Boro, for whatever reason, it is not a bad thing for the hockey team.

I would agree with you 100% if that owner wasn't Eugene Melnyk. From all reports, he seems to be hell to work for... I used to think exactly like that and will still continue to think the same for probably every franchise, except the Sens. Melnyk is way too involved in everything for players to be able to "avoid" him unfortunately. Just his presence in the medias is a bad press that you would rather not have.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I would agree with you 100% if that owner wasn't Eugene Melnyk. From all reports, he seems to be hell to work for... I used to think exactly like that and will still continue to think the same for probably every franchise, except the Sens. Melnyk is way too involved in everything for players to be able to "avoid" him unfortunately. Just his presence in the medias is a bad press that you would rather not have.

Boro probably wants something like $5 x5 [mod] ... he blocks shots , hits , fights ? Why wouldn’t he want that type of pay day ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aragorn

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

Covid made it so guys getting paid for being good soldiers will not be kept around, if a team like toronto scooped him dirt cheap he would fit like a glove as a number 6 or 7.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Covid made it so guys getting paid for being good soldiers will not be kept around, if a team like toronto scooped him dirt cheap he would fit like a glove as a number 6 or 7.

The Sens have the money to pay Boro with or without Covid ... I just don’t think they want to hand out a retirement contract. I doubt Boro’s agent has presented a $1.8 x 2 year offer to the Sens and I don’t think he would have any interest today in exploring a $900000 type deal with Toronto unless he was desperate.

I think we’re seeing a divorce similar to the Sens not wanting to pay Zibby or Turris big money.... or the players wanting to explore a short term / low AAV type contract.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
The Sens have the money to pay Boro ... I just don’t think they want to hand out a retirement contract. I doubt Boro’s agent has presented a $1.8 x 2 year offer to the Sens and I don’t think he would have any interest today in exploring a $900000 type deal with Toronto unless he was desperate.

It looks like next season will have zero fans making payroll is goint to be tough. They don't have the money for anyone. Who knows he might have taken down all the sens stuff to show he is not bluffing on his demands and they might keep him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It looks like next season will have zero fans making payroll is goint to be tough. They don't have the money for anyone. Who knows he might have taken down all the sens stuff to show he is not bluffing on his demands and they might keep him.

They may - my point is they are way below the cap and will spend “some” money. I just don’t think want to commit to the type of AAV and term he probably wants. I think his number is close to Demelo’s contract demands. These guys may get it or they may get caught without a seat when the music stops.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
They may - my point is they are way below the cap and will spend “some” money. I just don’t think want to commit to the type of AAV and term he probably wants. I think his number is close to Demelo’s contract demands. These guys may get it or they may get caught without a seat when the music stops.
We wont be below the cap after signing Duclair/C Brown/Tierny/Tkachuk. Though im sure at least 1 of those will be dealt this year.

I love Boro but we arent going to spend the money on him over those other players.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
We wont be below the cap after signing Duclair/C Brown/Tierny/Tkachuk. Though im sure at least 1 of those will be dealt this year.

I love Boro but we arent going to spend the money on him over those other players.
Tkachuk isnt eligible for a new deal til next year. But I agree, dont think it will be hard to hit the cap.

Reactions: NB613

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Damn, didn’t realize that Boro went breakup mode and purged his social media of sens stuff until reading it here. Sad that he may not be back but oh well, I agree it’s not terrible for the team. I wonder what he’s asking for term and $ wise.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Not to worried about the team when we lose Boro, who will be forced to do the cringeworthy Melnyk interview and will be scarred for life is the real question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad