B-Sens Belleville 2019-2020 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Troy Mann says Daccord was hurt in the last game against Cleveland. Didn't sound too serious, but with Gustavsson in Ottawa, Hogberg home in Sweden, Alex Dubeau gets the next start. Clint Windsor signed to back him up.

Brannstrom out 4-6 weeks. Brown and Beaudin mid-March returns.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Next yr, if there are no changes to the goalie situation, I assume that Nilsson & Hogberg should be in Ottawa, Daccord & Gustavsson likely in Belleville & Mandolese should likely be in Brampton with Sogaard in junior as an emergency callup & Anderson likely retired. I also wonder if Anderson will hang around Ottawa (if) he retires as a coach & potential emergency signup, just in case of injuries.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Troy Mann says Daccord was hurt in the last game against Cleveland. Didn't sound too serious, but with Gustavsson in Ottawa, Hogberg home in Sweden, Alex Dubeau gets the next start. Clint Windsor signed to back him up.

Brannstrom out 4-6 weeks. Brown and Beaudin mid-March returns.

What happened to Brannstrom?

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012
AHL schedule is weird af. They'll have a cluster of games in a row then off for 4-5 days. Spread it out a lil more babay

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I also wonder if Anderson will hang around Ottawa (if) he retires as a coach & potential emergency signup, just in case of injuries.

Anderson will be on the first flight to Florida after the last game. That is where his family is and that is where they will stay. He may come here for the occasional alumni function, etc., but that will be that.

Brannstrom's injury is a real kick in the shorts. He needs to come back and have a good playoff to redeem his season. Otherwise, you have to consider this year to be a massive disappointment for his development. He really failed to take the next step, and never has looked like the dominant force in generating offense that a young EK was. He's only 20, adjusting to North America, defencemen take longer, blah blah blah, but the excitement of acquiring him has long since worn off...

Reactions: Variable26

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Anderson will be on the first flight to Florida after the last game. That is where his family is and that is where they will stay. He may come here for the occasional alumni function, etc., but that will be that.

Brannstrom's injury is a real kick in the shorts. He needs to come back and have a good playoff to redeem his season. Otherwise, you have to consider this year to be a massive disappointment for his development. He really failed to take the next step, and never has looked like the dominant force in generating offense that a young EK was. He's only 20, adjusting to North America, defencemen take longer, blah blah blah, but the excitement of acquiring him has long since worn off...

What if he becomes a regular, pretty darn good NHL defensemen by age 22 though? Why do we NEED him to prove these results now, what's the rush?

People need to have patience when developing young Dman cause not everyone is going to take the league by storm ala Makar/Hughes...

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
What if he becomes a regular, pretty darn good NHL defensemen by age 22 though? Why do we NEED him to prove these results now, what's the rush?

People need to have patience when developing young Dman cause not everyone is going to take the league by storm ala Makar/Hughes...

Patience is not my greatest strength, I admit. ;-) When you trade an absolute stud like Mark Stone, the best two way winger in the game and a guy who not only generates offense, but whose defensive game and advanced stats are off the charts, you want a blue chip return. In other words, you want Hughes or Makar. We thought we might have been getting that, but now it turns out we likely didn't. Therefore, I can't help but be disappointed.

And yes, I am probably being somewhat unfair to Brannstrom because I regard the Mark Stone trade as being one of the most bone stupid moves in franchise history, and that is saying a lot. Maybe Brannstrom can become Torey Krug, which would be pretty good - I'll hold out hope for that.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Patience is not my greatest strength, I admit. ;-) When you trade an absolute stud like Mark Stone, the best two way winger in the game and a guy who not only generates offense, but whose defensive game and advanced stats are off the charts, you want a blue chip return. In other words, you want Hughes or Makar. We thought we might have been getting that, but now it turns out we likely didn't. Therefore, I can't help but be disappointed.

And yes, I am probably being somewhat unfair to Brannstrom because I regard the Mark Stone trade as being one of the most bone stupid moves in franchise history, and that is saying a lot. Maybe Brannstrom can become Torey Krug, which would be pretty good - I'll hold out hope for that.
Completely unrealistic to think you’re getting a Hughes or Makar in a trade like that. That would never happen.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I regard the Mark Stone trade as being one of the most bone stupid moves in franchise history, and that is saying a lot.

Stone wasn't staying, no matter what was offered. Dorion did the best he could. I'm pretty sure they would have kept him if it was possible.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Wait, this is based on?

Brannstrom will never be EK. Quinn Hughes will (they are the same age, but 1 year younger than Makar)

On the contrary, I find him super promising. Only 20 y/o, has shown that he can already play in the NHL, make good quick decisions, good defensively, good skating skills, hockey sense and hockey IQ is there. He hasn't figured out how to produce offense on a rebuilding NHL team yet but almost PPG in the AHL. Those 31 games he played in the NHL is good for experience.

Plus we know (well supposedly) that the Sens have brought their prospects slowly this year, Brannstrom like Batherson, Balcers and a few others could have played in the NHL all year but that was not the plan. When you think of it, only Nick Paul and Marcus Hogberg have fully graduated and they are ~25 y/o

All that being said, we DON'T need Brannstrom to be EK, if he's too good, we won't be able to keep everybody. We already have Chabot long term and a few other guys might need money eventually (Wolanin, Thomson, JBD, Alsing? Zub? Tychonick?). That's just on defense, I think the forward group will get very expensive very fast. We just need EB to be a good 2-way top-4 D-man. I'd be thrilled if he is a smaller Ekholm

I loved Stone and really wish he would have stayed through the rebuild but that was not possible. We could have gotten more prospects/picks (and in comparison we got 3-4 x times more for EK), but a high end prospect instead of quantity was better than nothing. And no, we were not getting a Makar/Hugues (remember, couldn't get a Glass/Heiskanen for EK).

We were in a bad position, Dorion has been trying to "hide" the FULL rebuild all the way but looks like Melnyk had already decided everybody was gone unless they took a major home discount. Poor Dorion lol, trying to convince Duchene and Stone to sign on discount during a rebuild. I have been wondering why any other team didn't try to be Vegas offer but I think the choices where Mark Stone would extend long term were limited... So yeah, nobody was offering more than Brannstrom + 2nd for Stone as a rental

Finally, you said "the excitement of acquiring him has long since worn off"???

You realize that we got him exactly 1 year ago? lol

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Stone wasn't staying, no matter what was offered. Dorion did the best he could. I'm pretty sure they would have kept him if it was possible.

I don't believe this. The others (Karlsson duchene etc) yea I can see, but Stone? He woulda stayed, even in his interviews he sounded deflated. Stone woulda stayed if we offered something reasonable for his talent. But whatever, that's behind us, no need to beat a dead horse.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Definitely some question marks around brannstrom but nearly ppg for a dman at his age isn’t too shabby.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't believe this. The others (Karlsson duchene etc) yea I can see, but Stone? He woulda stayed, even in his interviews he sounded deflated. Stone woulda stayed if we offered something reasonable for his talent. But whatever, that's behind us, no need to beat a dead horse.

Don't want to be a Debbie downer or anything but Stone wasn't forced to extend long-term with Vegas. He could have came back to Ottawa later by signing a shorter term deal instead. He chose security with term and money, he also didn't want to wait through a rebuild and wanted to win now that he is in his prime. But I think that will be shown to be a very bad decision in the end but hey that's the world of sports

We have very little info on what happened behind closed doors, there was probably another team or two involved, teams where Mark was ready to extend long-term. Dorion probably wanted the best quality prospect possible and not quantity, it went to the last minute and Dorion took the best offer on the table (among the very few teams MS was ready to extend with)

Trades are a lot more complicated than the average hockey fan thinks (not saying that's the case here, just saying in general), there's a lot of factors in play, and more often than not fans easily forget the human factors (wife, kids, school, weather, family, etc)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Brannstrom's injury is a real kick in the shorts. He needs to come back and have a good playoff to redeem his season.

Otherwise, you have to consider this year to be a massive disappointment for his development.

He really failed to take the next step, and never has looked like the dominant force in generating offense that a young EK was. He's only 20, adjusting to North America, defencemen take longer, blah blah blah, but the excitement of acquiring him has long since worn off...

I am not going to go back to find it but someone posted not long ago how amazing his stats were for a 20 y/o D in the AHL but they were in all-time good category.

He didn't start well in Ottawa to be sure but he showed a few flashes and then once he went down to the A his game took off and on subsequent call up he looked like a completely different player so I have to strongly disagree with your assessment of his season and progress despite understanding how you are tying it to the Stone trade (which is still an open wound for many of us).

In addition, he was forced to play the LD position which is a big switch when looking to do it at the NHL level. I still cannot understand for the life of me why you wouldn't let him get acclimated to the NHL and THEN look to help him move to his strong side but whatever...he seems to have been able to play LD quite well in the A.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

Dorion could have signed Stone to a long term deal after his ELC. Instead he bridged him and a few years later he was forced to trade him for a far inferior player

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Dorion could have signed Stone to a long term deal after his ELC. Instead he bridged him and a few years later he was forced to trade him for a far inferior player

Yes our bridging win/loss isn't great when you look in hindsight. We seem to offer up longer extensions to more suspect players and are gun shy on ones that seem to have stronger potential (at least IMO).

We also completely lucked out that both Cowen and Ceci didn't take what was (supposedly) offered on long term deals.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yes our bridging win/loss isn't great when you look in hindsight. We seem to offer up longer extensions to more suspect players and are gun shy on ones that seem to have stronger potential (at least IMO).

We also completely lucked out that both Cowen and Ceci didn't take what was (supposedly) offered on long term deals.

Lol, phewwwwwww

This season would be ten times worse if I had to watch Ceci again, even if he helped the tank.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not going to go back to find it but someone posted not long ago how amazing his stats were for a 20 y/o D in the AHL but they were in all-time good category.

He didn't start well in Ottawa to be sure but he showed a few flashes and then once he went down to the A his game took off and on subsequent call up he looked like a completely different player so I have to strongly disagree with your assessment of his season and progress despite understanding how you are tying it to the Stone trade (which is still an open wound for many of us).

In addition, he was forced to play the LD position which is a big switch when looking to do it at the NHL level. I still cannot understand for the life of me why you wouldn't let him get acclimated to the NHL and THEN look to help him move to his strong side but whatever...he seems to have been able to play LD quite well in the A.

Here's the top 10 all time U20 D pts per game with 20+ games, his time after getting traded brought the pts/g down from .68 to .64 but didn't move him in the rankings.

Elite Prospects - AHL Stats All-time season

PlayerSeasonTeamGPGATPPPGPIM+/-
Shawn Anderson (D) 1987-1988Rochester Americans 22516210.951912
Dave Maloney (D) 1975-1976Providence Reds 26517220.8581
John Carlson (D) 2009-2010Hershey Bears 48435390.812637
Rasmus Sandin (D) 2019-2020Toronto Marlies 21213150.7117-2
Marek Malik (D) 1994-1995Springfield Falcons 581130410.7191-1
Erik Brännström (D) 2018-2019totals50725320.6448-1
Rasmus Sandin (D) 2018-2019Toronto Marlies 44622280.6416-10
Rasmus Ristolainen (D) 2013-2014Rochester Americans 34614200.5922-2
Dave Maloney (D) 1974-1975Providence Reds 58528330.57122
Henri Jokiharju (D) 2018-2019Rockford IceHogs 30215170.57147
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I thought Bransstrom had a decent year especially with how young he is.

I think he will have a big season next year on the big team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad