Bell Globemedia is willing to pay $1.4 Billion for HNIC

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
No doubt they would. Fox, CBS, ESPN, NBC and ABC all lose(or lost) tons on their NFL deals, but it its a prestige thing so they put up with the losses.

I think the main value from this deal from Bell's perspective is the prospect of taking CBC out of the sports broadcasting business. If the can eliminate a major competitor like that, it gives them a tighter stranglehold on the business in general. I think this will turn out to be very profitable move for Bell.

EDIT:

Also, if CBC has been able to make money on their deal, at $65M per year for just the Saturday night broadcasts, then, there's a lot of room for further profitability for a private broadcaster. When you factor in that this is a 10 year deal, and that inflation alone would be pushing up the price a fair bit, it's not that ludicrous of a price for Bell to pay.

Last edited:

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Greater Buffalo area as well.

I watch HNIC every week, and CBC is available on Buffalo cable systems.

I live about 40 minutes south of the city, and I can pick it up with an antenna at home.

I'd be extremely upset if CBC doesn't get the deal.

Add Seattle to the list, as well. It would be a shame to see this happen but would I would also lost my last excuse not to get Centre Ice lol

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I have some complaints about HNIC (the Toronto-centric nature of the broadcasts can be annoying), but really, the CBC does an excellent job with hockey.

I've grown up with Hockey Night in Canada on CBC, and I would be saddened to see that tradition ended.

All about the money, I suppose.

canada_habs2006

Nov 3, 2005
Niagara, Ontario
i don't really get why both networks can't show hockey?

like sure right now CBC is #1 and TSN comes second... but what if they switched it around.

CBC shows 1 or two games every Saturday night during regular season

CTV shows the Playoffs similar to NBC, adn TSN has #1 in playoffs coverage.

i personally would love to see hockey on both CTV and CBC, since i'm living on OTA HD only in toronto, the more free hockey coverage, the better

dem

Mar 17, 2002
After the crap playoff coverage last year by the cbc.. im about ready for them to lose the rights..

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I imagine that this deal, like all national TV deals will be evenly split among the 30 teams?

I've always had a problem with that, as, the Canadian deal has always been very restrictive to Canadian teams (who lose the ability to sell local broadcast rights to Saturday night games) yet, no additional compensation is provided to the Canadian teams to compensate for that loss.

I'd like to see that changed, but, I doubt that Bell Globemedia is going to pay that kind of money without having exclusive coverage rights.

Actually the more a Canadian team appears on CBC and TSN, the more they get.

For example, TSN has rights to 2 games per Canadian team, anymore than that and they have to pony up some money to that team.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
cherry will be gone by then - they'll just hire mcclean - won't miss a beat
I'd hope they hire McLean.

They got Williams for the Olympics so you'd figure they'd take McLean for hockey.

McLean > Duthie

OpinionatedMike

Nov 10, 2002
Visit site
I take it, that few people have any idea the kind of monopoly that Bell Globemedia is working on here, overall it's a bad idea. 10 years from now, you'll see lockouts, strikes galore, you'll be stuck with only TSN/CTV showing Sports......

CBC losing HNIC will be a sad sad day.

I'd even venture to guess that the hockey people at TSN would be disappointed with CBC losing HNIC, they don't compete with anyone for sports.......

vbet*

I take it, that few people have any idea the kind of monopoly that Bell Globemedia is working on here, overall it's a bad idea. 10 years from now, you'll see lockouts, strikes galore, you'll be stuck with only TSN/CTV showing Sports......

CBC losing HNIC will be a sad sad day.

I'd even venture to guess that the hockey people at TSN would be disappointed with CBC losing HNIC, they don't compete with anyone for sports.......

Don't watch Sportsnet do you?

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Word is that Bettman would not want McLean going over to CTV/TSN if they get the rights...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's weird that another station can come in and buy up HNIC away from the broadcast company that created it. The concept of divorcing HNIC from the CBC just seems weird.

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Wow, that would be the big contract the NHL is looking for. If that happens it would be pretty remarkable for Canadian sports teams in general as it would mean that other leagues may look to Canada since this display that TV money is indeed there.

moneys not really there when compared to the billions the NFL recieved EVERY year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad