Belfour new Part Owner of Dallas franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince Mercury

Apr 7, 2004
Fort McMurray
I saw that too. I was mostly surprised that people were still talking about the WHA. That OSHA started to look a fair bit more realisitc to me.

Oh well, here's hoping that in the case of a lockout, the WHA is there to save the day.

I am Jack's Fish

I heard he paid one million...no...one billion dollars for the team.

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Mark Fischel said:
I heard he paid one million...no...one billion dollars for the team.

haha good old drunk Belfour.

I'll always remember when he came in the first period of the all-star game(was it the one at the forum?) so drunk, he allowed couple of bad goals. He looked like a fool.

Still a great goaltender of this era thought... ;)

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
It's a relief to see that NHL players really do take the WHA seriously. This news about Belfour will go a long ways toward helping the WHA appear viable to other NHLers.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Ed Belfour Buying Into WHA

This is really puzzling me!! Why would 'Ed Belfour,' who just signed a huge contract (18 million or whatever it was) with an NHL team, buy a team in a league (WHA) that will compete with the league (NHL) he gets the contract from? That really doesn't make sense. That would make the casual observer think that the NHL is in real trouble, and the WHA is a real contender. But if the WHA wins and somehow were to conquer the NHL (Which is what the WHA wants whether they deny it or not), then the players would play under a $15 million salary cap, which defeats the purpose of the players rejecting any salary cap CBA proposals the NHL gives now!

My head hurts...

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Licentia said:
This is really puzzling me!! Why would 'Ed Belfour,' who just signed a huge contract (18 million or whatever it was) with an NHL team, buy a team in a league (WHA) that will compete with the league (NHL) he gets the contract from? That really doesn't make sense. That would make the casual observer think that the NHL is in real trouble, and the WHA is a real contender. But if the WHA wins and somehow were to conquer the NHL (Which is what the WHA wants whether they deny it or not), then the players would play under a $15 million salary cap, which defeats the purpose of the players rejecting any salary cap CBA proposals the NHL gives now!

My head hurts...

The WHA isn't going to compete with the NHL like the original WHA did. The WHA will never conquer the NHL. Let your head rest in peace now.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
rob_paxon said:
The WHA isn't going to compete with the NHL like the original WHA did. The WHA will never conquer the NHL. Let your head rest in peace now.

2 hockey teams can't survive in Dallas. I don't believe they could for a second. Therefore, either Belfour thinks the WHA is going to conquer the NHL, or he's just really dumb because his money will be wasted when the 'Americans' fold. Probably the later I guess.

TT

Jul 30, 2004
Well Ed is guaranteed to be up in one of the 2 ventures!!!

This is a big move for the WHA as some NHLers make look up and see what is happening around them. If there is no play next season, these guys will either have to rest or play somewhere else, and that somewhere else could just be the WHA for some of them...

beeker16

Jun 19, 2003
I swear as a former Stars fan, if I can see Belfour play at Reunion arena again, I'll be there for EVERY game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad