Confirmed with Link: Beleskey to Boston (5 years/19m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
Not as bad a contract as it could have been, but a better player than Beleskey in Joel Ward just signed for less money and term.

Ward will be 35 this year I'll take this signing any day to be honest and I've been a fan since his Nashville days.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
From what I understand he was also getting more minutes. Sometimes it isn't just who you skate with but how many minutes you're skating. It's easier to score playing 18plus minutes a night versus 13 or fewer.

Beleskey averaged something over 14mins? I much rather have him on our 3rd line doing what he is doing at 3.8M than risk having Lucic there with 6.5-7M cap hit in the near future.
I don't look at this just as a Beleskey signed as UFA, I watch the Lucic return+ saved millions and signed Beleskey vs Lucic and we won this battle.

He is a late bloomer, injuries slowed his progress and what I've read he has a great attitude and works his ..... off.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Not as bad a contract as it could have been, but a better player than Beleskey in Joel Ward just signed for less money and term.

good point... I like ward too. I don't think theres any guarantee ward chooses us over sj or gives us the same rate

I could have lived with ward but ill be happy with the good kid we got on the good contract we got him on

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
good point... I like ward too. I don't think theres any guarantee ward chooses us over sj or gives us the same rate

I could have lived with ward but ill be happy with the good kid we got on the good contract we got him on

Ward is 35. How fast is he and how much has he got in the tank? It goes against what they're trying to do if he's slow at this point in his career.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Ward only started playing in the NHL when he was around 27, the same age that Beleskey is now. Another one that 'figured it out' late. There's every chance Beleskey has another level to go to in a B's uniform

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Knuble was also a guy who didn't figure it out until late...what was it, at age 30? Then he went off and for the next 9 seasons, scored 20 goals or more and had several seasons of around 30. Beleskey could be following a similar path. I guess only time will tell.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
How come we should have signed Ward are coming out now after he has signed else where?

Did he exist before his signing?

Brad3277

Jul 13, 2004
West Hartford
I don't think there was any chance award Ward was going to sign here. It only takes a few idiots sometimes and those who came out after his game 7 goal eliminated the Bruins were the cream of the crop.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
johnny Boychuk didn't figure it out till he was 26

Took Chara until he was 26 to figure it out

It happens

Defense and forward are two vastly different things. Players on d typically take longer to get it because the position is far more nuanced. At 26 as a forward, you're generally what you are. Not that it can't happen, just that it's not the norm.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Defense and forward are two vastly different things. Players on d typically take longer to get it because the position is far more nuanced. At 26 as a forward, you're generally what you are. Not that it can't happen, just that it's not the norm.

to a degree, alot has to do with the organization itself and the opportunity, or lack thereof that organization gives each player.

Could be a depth thing as we have seen in Boston in the past (perhaps not as much now but..). I haven`t a clue if Beleskey is ready for 1st or 2nd line duties but the fact remains, he plays a hard, physical game, has some decent hands and is more than willing to go to the dirty areas and I`m sorry, for as much as I have appreciated the contributions of Lucic over the years, anyone who says he still played that game with any consistency is fooling themselves, he too may regain that edge with his move but in the last few years I`ve seen a Looch who`s hit barely register or have impact, decreased goal scoring, little to no scrapping and for the salary he was going to command, I can see why the move was made

If Beleskey comes in and just plays his game, he`ll be fine

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I'm not sure award would want to come here, but one reason I like the Belesky deal better is Ward's age. Belesky is young-Ward is probably only going to slow down.

That said I like Ward's game and he was never afraid to go to the net (and I'm positive he interfered on Thomas in the game 7 but whatever).

I think Ward comes with more risk when the contract is more than 1-2 years.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Really happy with this signing.

Beleskey is a legit goal scorer. Just watch his goals from this year: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8473492&lang=en

Good shot, great at deflections, and knows how to find and bury loose pucks around the net. Also seems to step up his play in the playoffs.

I like Beleskey but I'm not sure that he is a "legit goal scorer". Before this season, the most goals he has scored is 11.

I'm hoping he can put up similar numbers to last year even playing with inferior linemates.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
I like Beleskey but I'm not sure that he is a "legit goal scorer". Before this season, the most goals he has scored is 11.

I'm hoping he can put up similar numbers to last year even playing with inferior linemates.

I'm mainly talking based on his skillset. I recognize he doesn't have a large track record of goals but before this season he was only getting around 12 minutes of ice time and a very little on the power play. Hell, Gregory Campbell got 12 minutes per game for us this year! This season he still only got 14:30 per game and 1:32 of PP time per game but finished 15th in the league in GF/60. He got 16 minutes per game in the playoffs and I don't think it is any coincidence he scored 8 goals in 16 games.

If he can get 16-17 minutes per game on a top 2 line and more PP ice he should have no problem getting 25+ goals.

Did you watch all of his goals from last year? Have a look because it's not like he was just getting tap ins from Getzlaf and Perry. Most of his goals were from good positioning and finding loose pucks around the net. Also is fantastic at deflections which we have been sorely missing since Recchi retired.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I'm mainly talking based on his skillset. I recognize he doesn't have a large track record of goals but before this season he was only getting around 12 minutes of ice time and a very little on the power play. Hell, Gregory Campbell got 12 minutes per game for us this year! This season he still only got 14:30 per game and 1:32 of PP time per game but finished 15th in the league in GF/60. He got 16 minutes per game in the playoffs and I don't think it is any coincidence he scored 8 goals in 16 games.

If he can get 16-17 minutes per game on a top 2 line and more PP ice he should have no problem getting 25+ goals.

Did you watch all of his goals from last year? Have a look because it's not like he was just getting tap ins from Getzlaf and Perry. Most of his goals were from good positioning and finding loose pucks around the net. Also is fantastic at deflections which we have been sorely missing since Recchi retired.

Agreed. Watching these goals, I think he'd play really well with Bergy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad