Being a Two Way player

Discussion in 'The Rink' started by Kimmo Therapy*, Jan 25, 2011.

1. I'm looking to try out for a professional roller hockey team. I'm not trying to be cocky, but I'm more skilled than some of the players on that team that people claim to be "good." The question is though, Is it worth it to be a two-way forward? I'm on a rec-league team with one of the people who plays pro currently, and he's had his eye on me to recruit me to the professional team. I have players on my team that can not catch a pass, or hit the net for that matter. I pass to them very often (they have yet to score on perfect backdoor feeds on a consistent basis) and regret every time.

To get to the point, though. I've been averaging 3 points per game while playing a very defensive game, because I know that that's one thing that will make me invaluable. It's hindering my offensive performance, because I could easily score a goal every shift if I really wanted. My question is, is if you were a coach of a team, would you rather have a player who scores 7 goals a game, while being a +3, or have a defensive minded forward who puts up a +5 rating, minus the goal scoring.

Mind you, I'd be playing with people who have played on the team USA roller hockey team, and they are also very skilled, so should I keep playing the 2 way game or start playing a much more 1 dimensional complete offensive game?

Don't be too hard on me! I'm not trying to be cocky!

EDIT:
    To answer the people who think I'm trying to go from rec league to pros:
    I've played ice hockey since i was 4 and played AAA and juniors around where I live. I'm just playing the rec league for fun. So it's not rec league roller hockey to pros. It's Junior A to Pro Roller. Sorry! should have cleared that up!

Last edited by moderator : Jan 26, 2011
  2. predfan24

predfan24 Registered User

I'm not familiar with how Roller Hockey leagues and the Pros work other than the travel teams. But your telling me your going to jump from a rec league roller team to a Pro team? Once again I might be way off base but that doesn't seem plausible. Also I didn't think there was pro hockey for Roller anymore besides the tournaments they do for Narch,ECHO etc. and from what I remember those teams are largely put together just for the tournaments sake.

3. Holy Jokinen

Holy Jokinen Registered User

To simply answer the question, i would take the 2-way player.

4. RoyalGremlin

RoyalGremlin The future is now.

i'd take the guy that could score every shift, actually.

5. TBLfan

TBLfan Registered User

Being the best... ever
    Home Page:
    You need to pick your moments to do both well.

6. johnnyvegas

johnnyvegas Registered User

I think the "+5" rating decides it quite easily. And having a defensively conscientious element to your play would be nice since your "pro" team will be facing "pro" opposition.

7. izzy3

izzy3 Registered User

Any coach would take the two way player that he can use as a sniper if needed.

Being only a sniper does not give the coach too many options, so you'll probably play less.

8. Marotte Marauder

Marotte Marauder Registered User

As a coach, I would take the sniper. That can't be taught.

Responsible 2 way play can be taught.

9. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    Simple answer would be do whatever the coach tells you to.

10. pass the bisk

pass the bisk Registered User

Hockey
    I would rather have a player who can shut down the opposition and score a goal if one is needed

11. Samuel Culper III

Samuel Culper III Mr. Woodhull...

USAF, Ranger tabbed, army bound
    This plus do you really think ANY coach is going to say "I want you to play a very one dimensional game"? Most of the time it's going to be expected that everyone has bought in and is going to work hard on both sides of the puck so two-way play is going to be a necessity. Not every player is a good two-way player, not every player has the work ethic to be an effective two-way player, but every player is expected to try to be a two-way player. Hockey is a two-way sport and this new phrase "two-way player" is terribly overused. Every player needs to play two-ways; some just do so more consistently and at a higher level. I doubt you'll have to play as conservatively as on your rec league team, but if you find a comfortable medium between being the "pure goal scorer" and a "two-way" player, I'm sure you'll be your most effective and make the best impression on your potential new team and coaches.

12. SouthpawTRK

SouthpawTRK Registered User

+1. Best of luck with the new team!

13. thanks a lot guys :) this will help me out a bunch!

14. GoalieGuru

GoalieGuru Registered User

OK................I coach a high level of competitve hockey.

I am not sure the rostered number of players of Pro Roller hockey, but in hockey you dress 4 Forward lines. If you are going to be a 1 dimensional offensive player you better be in the top 3 forwards on the team. Which seems unlikely, as you havent played Pro before. If you are not in the top 5 you better be able to play a different dimension or you likely wont be used very much if at all, especially if you arent as offensively skilled as you think you are. You can contribute offensively and play a strong game defensively, thats called be a a complete player ie: Pavel Datsyuk, Henik Zetterberg, Brad Richrads

Example: there are a lot 100 Pts AHL superstars that can't stick in the NHL because they cant play the type of role a 3rd/4th line NHL needs to play. They can get 100 point in the A but are not top line material in the NHL and are career ninor leaguers.

Hope this make some sense as it doesnt translate to writing easily.

15. Lososaurus

Lososaurus Registered User

Coaches like goal scorers, but they love back-checkers. So do defensemen.

16. Jarick

Jarick Doing Nothing

Home Page:
    Well like GoalieGuru said...it depends on your skill level.

If you can literally score at will, like say Marian Gaborik goes down to play beer league, who cares about your backchecking. But if you aren't going to be the next Wayne Gretzky, you sure better play some defense.

But that's why I'd defer to the coach...he'll tell you specifically how he wants you to play.