Kazakhstan: Beibarys Atyrau worse than jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Swedens biggest newspaper reported this today: (google translated)

(his blog: http://www.mikedanton22.com/kazakhstan-true-story-2/ )

He has served a prison sentence for conspiracy to commit murder.
But that was nothing compared to hockey time in Kazakhstan.
The former NHL star and Swedish acquaintance Mike Danton , 33, tells Now open in his blog about the misery he experienced during professional life in eastern Europe.
- Soon we will be seeing a suicide case , he writes.

The former NHL player's trial in 2004 became one of the most high-profile legal cases a sports star ever been involved in North America.
After Mike Danton served his seven year sentence , he started on his career in Sweden and Division 1 team IFK Ore .
A career which then led on to Kazakhstan and the team Beibarys Atyrau .
He left the country four months later and now comes with serious allegations against the club management , corruption , lies and miserable living conditions .
Did not laugh
Danton says in his blog that , among other things, 30 percent of the wages went straight into the coach's pocket, that the penalty for using the wrong workout clothes became a half salary deductions .
- Our meals consisted also of minimal portions. Our only source of energy was a bowl of oatmeal . When I brought it up with the coaching staff , they felt that it was enough, writes 33 -year-old .
He also talks about the mood of the team:
- We did not talk during warm-ups . We did not even smile . Seriously, I think a smile was a crime in Kazakhstan. There was a picture of an Olympian on the walls in our arena , a guy with seven medals around his neck and his face was as if his dog had been hit by a train.
Decapitated horse outside the home
Danton also writes that some of his teammates had their passports stolen by the club 's lead that they would not be able to leave the team and the country.
- When we were away on trips , they would get their passports the day before the trip, but was forced to return the passports as soon as we got home. Otherwise waited punishment.
Danton's family, wife and two children , lived with him while in Kazakhstan and Canadian says that at one point was a decapitated horse outside their home and in the locker room crept scorpions.
" Had more freedom in prison "
- It was the worst hockey decision I made in my entire career . I lived under better conditions in prison and had much more freedom there. In Kazakhstan , it was misery all the time, continuous corruption and you could say that I spent four months in prison , Danton writes .
- The last straw for me was when the club management would cut my salary in half to the thought that I played poorly . But I had only played four games after an injury .

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
his blog

for me his report sounds like someone who came back from an antartic-expedition and cry about the cold temperature.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
for me his report sounds like someone who came back from an antartic-expedision and cry about the cold temperature.

Exactly this.

I think it's pretty well known and Dallman (or rather his wife) was the last to tell about it loud and clear. No surprises.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
omg, just imagine how bad Kazakhstani prisons must be. that's like a prison within a prison....prisonception!

inception.gif

jicé

Aug 9, 2006
Grenoble, France
jices.free.Fr
There are dozens of foreign players in Kazakhstan, some of them are there for a while - 2, 3 years.
This guy has probably ended up in a bad environment while others seem to enjoy their experience with other teams.
Of course, it's not Germany, Italy or Austria. Everything is worst than in eastern countries : leaving conditions, working conditions, travelling ...
But still, they enjoy it and retain the positive, not the negative

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah, in any post-Soviet country this is a usual decent apartment. If you can't put up with that you better not go to play hockey to Kazakhstan.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Better than my first apartment when I came to Russia :laugh:, I had an old Soviet gas stove I thought was going to blow up the apartment block one day.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
There's hundreds of places like that in any city, but the point is he's a "pro" player making decent cash, not impoverished and playing in the streets. Is this the best someone making good money can get in Kazakhstan? Obviously a pro player in Kiev will be able to afford a nice apartment.

Last edited:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Wait... This guy plays hockey and gets paid for it? -He can shut his mouth and count his blessings. I would live in a cardboard box if I could even be so lucky to play hockey everyday let alone to get paid for it.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I wouldn't play hockey if it mean living in the ghetto...

I'm sure if you worked at it you could get a job playing hockey on a semi-pro team with a comparable salary to those living conditions. It's not that hard and hardly a "blessing"

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
There's hundreds of places like that in any city, but the point is he's a "pro" player making decent cash, not impoverished and playing in the streets. Is this the best someone making good money can get in Kazakhstan? Obviously a pro player in Kiev will be able to afford a nice apartment.

I think it's worth pointing out these are free apartments, my employer does the same for me here in Russia. If any player is unsatisfied with their accommodation they can rent an apartment themselves. If he is making decent cash he can get his own apartment.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Probably because it's close to living standards in Latvia? In Sweden that apartment would be considered beyond ******.

Yup. If you are earning a salary below average wage threshold in Latvia. This your flat. It is ******, no doubt about that, but worse than jail? No, sir.

Yeah, in any post-Soviet country this is a usual decent apartment. If you can't put up with that you better not go to play hockey to Kazakhstan.

This would be one of a better looking houses in Daugavpils :laugh: Seriously though, if you have any real connection with Ukraine you know there are literally hundreds of houses like that in Kiev

Indeed. It's not Ukraine or Kazakhstan's thing - it's Soviet. Doesn't matter if it is suburb of Tallinn, Riga or Kiev, Alma-Ata and Vladivostok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad