Behind the scenes look at the Canadiens 2018 draft weekend

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
That trade call from Edm and subsequent decision by Bergevin came quick. They obviously prep for these scenarios, but it was kind of interesting how quickly things moved.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
That trade call from Edm and subsequent decision by Bergevin came quick. They obviously prep for these scenarios, but it was kind of interesting how quickly things moved.
I assume he had the draft pick value chart with him which definitely helped in gauging the value.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I like the subtle fist bump between Timmins and Churla after picking Cam Hillis. Thinking he was quite high on their list. I assume Romanov was picked at that spot because defenders were flying off the board early. They never thought to have a shot at both Olofsson and Hillis (judging by what Timmins said about Olofsson after the draft and then this fist bump with Hillis).

Reactions: Andrei79

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

They talk about Kotkaniemi and the guy right after him and say "this guy has power he can carry 2 guys to the net". Timmins then says we have these 2 guys side by side, so you've gotta think that they're talking about Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk. They also talked about Zadina (implied) and say how all his fitness scores are in the red (then Audette comes back and says but his play on the ice doesn't reflect that etc.). Interesting convo.

It's also interesting to see how badly Timmins wanted Hillis at #59, we still got him at 66 and ended up adding Harris and Houde (we could have also picked these guys over other prospects if we didn't have these extra picks, say Harris over McShane @ #97).

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Man, Timmins looked real pissed when he was told they were trading that pick. Looks like it worked out ok.

That’s strange though. Shouldn’t the conversation be “hey Trevor, do you want an extra 4th or 5th rounder”?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
They talk about Kotkaniemi and the guy right after him and say "this guy has power he can carry 2 guys to the net". Timmins then says we have these 2 guys side by side, so you've gotta think that they're talking about Kotkaniemi and Tkachuk. They also talked about Zadina (implied) and say how all his fitness scores are in the red (then Audette comes back and says but his play on the ice doesn't reflect that etc.). Interesting convo.

It's also interesting to see how badly Timmins wanted Hillis at #59, we still got him at 66 and ended up adding Harris and Houde (we could have also picked these guys over other prospects if we didn't have these extra picks, say Harris over McShane @ #97).

Bergevin's confidence on how to use the telephone really stood out for me. The authority on which he picked it up, and how he got it back in the cradle first try. That man is wicked smart.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yeah it was dumb luck. Like everything else this jackass of a GM does there was no plan of attack. That small clip of MB at work really showed me this man is way over his head.
He traded back, got an additional pick and still ended up with the player they wanted...

Any other team would be praised for this...

Sign of the times I guess

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He traded back, got an additional pick and still ended up with the player they wanted...

Any other team would be praised for this...

Sign of the times I guess
And if he didn't get the player his scouts wanted?

What was his reasoning? To get an extra pick. He didn't bother asking his head scout what he thought, seeing as he was the one with the best grasp on the value of the picks.

You gamble on losing a player your scouts are really high on so you can get an extra 5th round pick. That's MB to a T. He may have won that gamble but the team's results have shown he usually loses them.There's no sound reasoning to the way he works. We got too many picks here. Let's trade one of them. He actually said that on the video.

Reactions: ottawa and Sorinth

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And if he didn't get the player his scouts wanted?
But he did...that's called a calculated risk.

What was his reasoning? To get an extra pick. He didn't bother asking his head scout what he thought, seeing as he was the one with the best grasp on the value of the picks.
Pretty standard procedure.

How do you know he didn't consult with Timmins? I mean, they meet with their scouts intensively before the draft to go over all of their scouted players, so at that point, he knows all he needs to know about Cam Hillis.

The GM handles trades, not Trevor Timmins.

You gamble on losing a player your scouts are really high on so you can get an extra 5th round pick. That's MB to a T. There's no sound reasoning to the way he works. We got too many picks here. Let's trade of of them. He actually said that on the video.
I'm trying to understand the issue you're having, not being sarcastic here, being serious.

You're holding it against the GM that he acquired an additional pick, while still being able to draft the player they wanted?

Reactions: sharks9

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
But he did...that's called a calculated risk.

Pretty standard procedure.

I'm trying to understand the issue you're having, not being sarcastic here, being serious.

You're holding it against the GM that he acquired an additional pick, while still being able to draft the player they wanted?
The issue is that I don't think it was a calculated risk. You do. I think it was a reckless arrogant risk which describes his tenure as GM. He got lucky this time. Seeing what he has done to the Habs over the last 6 years, my intuition tells me he rarely gets lucky.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The issue is that I don't think it was a calculated risk. You do. I think it was a reckless arrogant risk which describes his tenure as GM. He got lucky this time. Seeing what he has done to the Habs over the last 6 years, my intuition tells me he rarely gets lucky.
You realize that we're talking about a 3rd round pick here?

I mean, it's pretty much a crapshoot at that point...the Habs had multiple picks, it was pretty obvious they were going to try to parlay that excess into more picks for the coming years.

This is actually good. This team needs all of the additional picks they can get...this is how you rebuild your organizational depth.

An example of reckless risk is trading UP in the 1st round to draft Jared Tinordi...only to watch the Caps select Evegny Kuznetsov a few picks later.

Now that's dumb and reckless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad