Behind the Moves: NHL General Managers Tell how Winners are Built

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm not here to advertise, but...

- Total Hockey was $70 when it came out in 1997. In "adjusted dollars", that's about $97.

- This doesn't appear to be just a book, more of an overall package... an experience. The book itself is $100, what I linked to is the deluxe package. I've seen other "deluxe package"-type things (not hockey books) approach prices like this, as well as music items like box sets that are often just repackaging of existing material.

- This is clearly self-published and that is more expensive since it's a labour of love and is only going to appeal to a very small niche market. Smaller quantities = more per book.

- If the reviews are good, watch what this thing sells for once the author runs out and you can only find one second hand.

In any case, I have it on the way to me now and I'll post an honest review myself and then you can decide if it's worth it. Commodities are worth different things to different people. I'm not wealthy but I don't spend money on stupid things, so I have more money for what I'm passionate about.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Got this in the mail a couple weeks back. Some notes:

- haven't read but have skimmed it. Extremely detailed.

- it's a more attractive package than I even thought. This is more a keepsake than a book. Beautiful cover.

- it is a very large book, but I would hesitate to call it a "coffee table book". A coffee table book is typically more light on the info, the kind of thing you can just pick up and skim a few blocks of text on a random page. You don't wanna do that with this one.

- as a guy who has bought 500 hockey books, I can tell you this thing would have a $59.99 price tag in chapters. Being that it was self published in very small quantities, the price tag being what it is does not surprise me at all.

- did you see how many GMs were interviewed? What is an NHL GM's time worth? Obviously they did these interviews pro bono, because if they charged and the books were replaced to cover those costs, the book would be $1000. the price only reflects the difficulty and cost in traveling to interview these personalities. The idea that the book is priced due to interview fees by the GMs is ridiculous.

- sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but this appears to be the most incredible source of insider info ever put together, and no one is going to buy it just to make it available to you in a used shop for $20 next year.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Bumping an old thread but I picked this one up and it is a polished product for a self publish for sure.

I found it to be an enjoyable read for me because of the funny anecdotal stories and quotes collected in it, but I don't think it is an essential read as far as the book containing some great insight into how managers work or anything like that.

The synopsis at the back of all the GMs and the win/loss statistics etc. will be a handy reference, and relationship chart is neat too, I guess, even if it is obvious that it is a "who you know" sort of club.

The license agreement with the win loss statistics I found a little hilarious.. I mean sure it takes some time to find the hire and fire dates for the managers etc but those stats are trivial to reconstruct for the most part.

It was a fun read.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Is there a chance this thing might end up in bookstores eventually. If the early sales and reviews are strong, wouldn't it make sense for him to print more copies and bring them to a larger potential group of customers?

TheBoss22

Apr 28, 2007
Planet Earth
Bumping an old thread but I picked this one up and it is a polished product for a self publish for sure.

I found it to be an enjoyable read for me because of the funny anecdotal stories and quotes collected in it, but I don't think it is an essential read as far as the book containing some great insight into how managers work or anything like that.

The synopsis at the back of all the GMs and the win/loss statistics etc. will be a handy reference, and relationship chart is neat too, I guess, even if it is obvious that it is a "who you know" sort of club.

The license agreement with the win loss statistics I found a little hilarious.. I mean sure it takes some time to find the hire and fire dates for the managers etc but those stats are trivial to reconstruct for the most part.

It was a fun read.

I was thinking of picking it up and getting the Torrey signed edition.

How is it for Islanders behind the scenes stories? Is there any new insights to deals/failed attempts at deals? Or is a rehash of all the Dynasty stories we already know about?

thx in advance.

GummoMarx

Oct 11, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
A University radio show I do some voice-over work for had an interview with the author back in September, really riveting stuff, haven't picked it up yet though.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Bumping this one.

Interesting read so far, only read about 25 pages, but it's been a good read so far.

Don't know how many out there who bought the book? And, maybe read the whole book.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I've seen him speak in person... it's awesome.

Man, this threads been around since 2011! ... So, hows the coffee table book? Worth the $139.99 Looks interesting, even if I am like 2yrs out of date, and that appearing to go back to 2007 while Burke was with Anaheim.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I bet this book would have sold well had it not been so ridiculously priced. One day hopefully it will show up on eBay. OT but I picked up Power Play by Gil Stein and The New Ice Age by Brunt for a dollar each....similar books.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I would buy this if I had disposable income. Well, I'd buy this third, after The Red Machine and Trail Of The Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad