Behind The Glass: Devils Training Camp

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Frequency is extremely important. Too much and the message gets tuned out in very short order.

Personally I think the rah-rah rable, rable is extremely amateurish. It is reminicent of a highschool or junior level coach trying to motivate children.

Look no further than John Tortorella and Larry Robinson (the garbage can incident particularly) on that topic for opposite ends of the spectrum.

And I like Tortorella for the most part as a coach, but that style gets old after a while and wears on guys especially during tougher times.

Reactions: Aethon

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Frequency is extremely important. Too much and the message gets tuned out in very short order.

Personally I think the rah-rah rable, rable is extremely amateurish. It is reminicent of a highschool or junior level coach trying to motivate children.

That's why a coach like Tortorella has such a short shelf life. I think in Hynes' case he's been good about when to crack the whip and when to lay off.

Reactions: Aethon

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I liked the first three episodes. The 4th didn't have much substance. Just kind of a highlight package of the game with player reactions to the goals.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I liked the first three episodes. The 4th didn't have much substance. Just kind of a highlight package of the game with player reactions to the goals.

They probably did want to give Bratt a few minutes the way they did the other two Swedes but the injury ruined that one.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
can someone post it when it leaks.

missed it again.
There's a replay on NHLN at 3:00 AM and 3:30 AM. Not sure if one of the episodes is one of the first 3 or if it's back to back airings of episode 4.

I think Wednesday is the day the first 3 episodes have been uploaded to youtube.

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
There's a replay on NHLN at 3:00 AM and 3:30 AM. Not sure if one of the episodes is one of the first 3 or if it's back to back airings of episode 4.

I think Wednesday is the day the first 3 episodes have been uploaded to youtube.

ya just saw that..... thanks for the heads up tho. i wont be up. saw them posted here last week and it saved me. i liked the first 3.

devs finally getting some media attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bleedred

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
first episode was fun for the novelty, but the others were just kind of boring. the hbo series had more leeway i assume, and just felt more raw/real than this.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
My favorite coaches for their demeanor were Tom Osborne and Bill Walsh . Pure Class.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
My favorite coaches for their demeanor were Tom Osborne and Bill Walsh . Pure Class.

Yeah, this is the personality type I respect above all. It's easy to give in to the melodramatic impulses of the players, fans and media. For these guys, no outside force dictates who they are.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Tom Landry, Bud Grant
I always considered both of them from a past era. Even though they both coached into the 80's I saw them both as more 70's guy so I didn't really related to them. Although I always loved the Ladry hat. :)

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yeah, this is the personality type I respect above all. It's easy to give in to the melodramatic impulses of the players, fans and media. For these guys, no outside force dictates who they are.
When your philosophy is strong enough you don't have to yell or even motivate. Leadership is in large part getting buy-in. I would argue the only real way to get buy-in is with a strong program.

Last edited:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Eh as much as I hate him Billy B is a hard-ass and still gets his players to respect him with the Patriots. Same with Scotty Bowman back in the day in the NHL. There's no one way that works, whatever works is your own authentic personality and knowing how to coach.

And fwiw Hynes doesn't come off as a taskmaster. Intense to be sure but not over-the-top so. You can tell the subtle difference between him and a guy like Torts who's almost always on high alert. I do agree the over-the-top taskmaster stuff tends to have a shelf life then again so does being too much of a players' coach. There's usually gotta be some sort of balance around the middle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->