Behind The Glass: Devils Training Camp

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Wish I could take full credit but it's all borrowed from Full Metal Jacket.

Ermey is comedy gold as the Sgt. in that flick.

I haven’t watched that movie in a long time. Great choice.

Edit - just realized that is a Kubrick movie. That’s the style I’ve always done my Lou parody in. No wonder I could see the scowl.

Reactions: mtnet

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like Hynes as a motivational type coach, never really had much of a problem with him in that regard. Still not sure he's a good X's and O's guy and I didn't at all like his system or methods of play, especially in regards to holding a lead and turtling.

I do think we've looked great this year as far as systems go.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I like Hynes as a motivational type coach, never really had much of a problem with him in that regard. Still not sure he's a good X's and O's guy and I didn't at all like his system or methods of play, especially in regards to holding a lead and turtling.

I've always been of the opinion that a head coach should, first and foremost, be a motivator, and that the assistant coaches should be the X's and O's people. Not saying that the head coach can be an idiot, but motivation is the top requirement.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
The Xs and Os do seem to look better now that we have more players that fit the style they want and guys are buying in
I never understood why people crapped on him his first two years. The team was bad, no coach was going to get them anywhere near the playoffs. Last year was the first year he finally had some talent to work with and even then, he never really had his fully healthy roster all season.

Reactions: Patrik26

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I never understood why people crapped on him his first two years. The team was bad, no coach was going to get them anywhere near the playoffs. Last year was the first year he finally had some talent to work with and even then, he never really had his fully healthy roster all season.
I think the biggest gripe is that he's had some questionable personnel decisions. Things like how Santini was handles last year. Personally, I blame Nasreddine for that, but that's just me being unreasonable, I think.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I STILL think you had something against Hynes cause he's too short :sarcasm:

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Hynes is the star of the show. I had no idea how intense he was. Love it.

Wish it delved a bit more into certain player back stories. We had a bit of Kurtis Gabriel and Blake Speers and a lot of Johnny Q, but I don't feel like I'm getting a flavor for the player personalities nearly as much as Hynes.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Hynes is the star of the show. I had no idea how intense he was. Love it.

Wish it delved a bit more into certain player back stories. We had a bit of Kurtis Gabriel and Blake Speers and a lot of Johnny Q, but I don't feel like I'm getting a flavor for the player personalities nearly as much as Hynes.
I dunno how some people (not just you) didn't realize how intense he was. Everything I've ever seen him him just oozes intensity.

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey

That's the only thing I've disliked so far. A consequence of the show being way too short for what it's trying to accomplish

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I STILL think you had something against Hynes cause he's too short :sarcasm:

That might be my favorite story of how stupid some management people in this league can be.

Other than the episodes being too short, my only other criticism of the show is the awkwardly filmed walking and talking scenes with Hall and Nico. Just pick a damn camera angle already.

Reactions: Oneiro

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
That might be my favorite story of how stupid some management people in this league can be.

Other than the episodes being too short, my only other criticism of the show is the awkwardly filmed walking and talking scenes with Hall and Nico. Just pick a damn camera angle already.

its gotta look hip…..multiple camera angles…. quick cuts back and forth….a zoom right into the players face and then right to a torso and face shot…… for no reason at all…..all the shit they "teach" at whatever college people go to for that crap.

23 minutes can be filled up real fast, real quick to mask the fact that not much has been said or shown

and dont get me started on video editors……the greatest manipulators of all

Reactions: Oneiro

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

I almost forgot about that lol...and people think we nitpick, I mean what did they think Hynes needed to be taller for? Not like he can't see over the players sitting on the bench, if that was the case it could have been a disqualifier :P

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
In terms of intensity, I believe many NHL coaches have that same tenacity. I remember watching the Winter Classic show with Babcock and the old Leafs coach. And boy did they rip into their team after a bad period. I wonder if Hynes is even more intense in the regular season.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
In terms of intensity, I believe many NHL coaches have that same tenacity. I remember watching the Winter Classic show with Babcock and the old Leafs coach. And boy did they rip into their team after a bad period. I wonder if Hynes is even more intense in the regular season.
Frequency is extremely important. Too much and the message gets tuned out in very short order.

Personally I think the rah-rah rable, rable is extremely amateurish. It is reminicent of a highschool or junior level coach trying to motivate children.

Reactions: tr83

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Devils made a better version with their ‘82 game odyssey ‘ series last season. Hope we see that again.

I did love the Hynes content. Shows how good of a coach he is in regards to player detail and commitment. The players play hard for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad