Boston Bruins Behind The B: Season 7

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
100%. Sweeney and Neely have built a very special group of players, and most probably of staff too. They have heart, respect, decency, and a giving attitude. Obviously the introduction of Chara and Bergy were before their time, but they've taken that core of two wonderful human beings and leaders and built an entire team of like-minded people around them. If you don't pass the character test Sweeney will not hire you - that seems to be just about his number one priority. It also partly explains the Backes deal. Don gave him too much for too long, but you can see why he was so keen to bring David to Boston.

It's not perfect - by hiring too many players of a certain type, there are some skills that the team doesn't have enough of, and by emphasizing decency they've gone a bit too far and taken too much snarl and bite out of the roster - but I still really like this approach and think it is an incredibly admirable, smart way to build a modern sports team. Some people are surprised particularly that Neely has taken the club so far down this road, but I think that for all his undoubted toughness Cam is a truly modern '21st Century' man who gets the way the world is moving and wants a team that reflects that and plays together, works together and gives back to the community together.

Incidentally, I loved Rask's line about Pasta in the latest episode - explaining why his kids love Pasta, he said something like "he looks like a cartoon character and he acts like one." That Tuukka is a funny guy.
It feels like Boston owns the record for most players drafted/signed that were captains of their junior or college teams. I do think they make character a significant priority.

I love seeing all the ways the team gives back to the community and how they involve all the players. I'm sure there are plenty of other things done behind the scenes that we never see.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
100%. Sweeney and Neely have built a very special group of players, and most probably of staff too. They have heart, respect, decency, and a giving attitude. Obviously the introduction of Chara and Bergy were before their time, but they've taken that core of two wonderful human beings and leaders and built an entire team of like-minded people around them. If you don't pass the character test Sweeney will not hire you - that seems to be just about his number one priority. It also partly explains the Backes deal. Don gave him too much for too long, but you can see why he was so keen to bring David to Boston.

It's not perfect - by hiring too many players of a certain type, there are some skills that the team doesn't have enough of, and by emphasizing decency they've gone a bit too far and taken too much snarl and bite out of the roster - but I still really like this approach and think it is an incredibly admirable, smart way to build a modern sports team. Some people are surprised particularly that Neely has taken the club so far down this road, but I think that for all his undoubted toughness Cam is a truly modern '21st Century' man who gets the way the world is moving and wants a team that reflects that and plays together, works together and gives back to the community together.

Incidentally, I loved Rask's line about Pasta in the latest episode - explaining why his kids love Pasta, he said something like "he looks like a cartoon character and he acts like one." That Tuukka is a funny guy.
LOL, I was telling my wife about that line... Hilarious!

Reactions: Lady Rhian

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It feels like Boston owns the record for most players drafted/signed that were captains of their junior or college teams. I do think they make character a significant priority.

I love seeing all the ways the team gives back to the community and how they involve all the players. I'm sure there are plenty of other things done behind the scenes that we never see.

The ECHL team I work for has a roster full of guys who wore letters in junior and college. I mentioned that to the coach/GM, and he said "that's by design." He wants high-character guys in the room, because it creates a roster full of leaders and players who hold themselves and each other accountable.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Coach Cassidy and David Pastrnak represent the black and yellow in St. Louis, the boys return from break and Wagner visits Harpoon Brewery

Reactions: Lady Rhian

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I love that they showed the front office in the room at deadline day and we got to see just how much goes into making trades and who has a voice in decisions.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I love that they showed the front office in the room at deadline day and we got to see just how much goes into making trades and who has a voice in decisions.

That was interesting. One thing I didn't like though in the latest episode was how the departures of Heinen and Backes were treated. I don't think Backes leaving was even mentioned, and Danton got one throw-away line. I wouldn't have expected much - players come and go and that is the way of it - but for 2 guys who have been around Boston for a little while and were active parts of a team that came within a game of a Cup I felt at least an acknowledgement of their service given to the Bruins and a well-wishing for their future at the Ducks would have been a nice touch.

Doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and I know the club has otherwise given their public thanks to both guys, but I felt this would have been a good platform to also note and recognize those departing, not just the ones coming in.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

On the latest Behind The B, pres. by Ticketmaster, the B's make a swing through the Sunshine State and Ondrej Kase and Nick Ritchie go mic'd up​

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Nick Ritchie Mic'd up while straight up bullying people was a fun segment

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Wagner yelling "waaaaaahhh!!! Waaaaaahhh!!!" at Tampa players :laugh::laugh::laugh: perfect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad