OT: Beginners Adult League?

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Hopefully one of you guys can help me out here:

A friend of mine (29) and myself (25) are looking to join an ice hockey team, but both of us are terrible. Our skating is probably our biggest downfall, but none of our skills are really high end. I currently play in a league over at the Sensplex in Kanata, but am obviously the worst player on our team and potentially league wide. We both really want to get into a league in which would fit our skill level because trying to keep up with these guys can be difficult and frustrating. We're both also interested in any kind of hockey camp type deal, since neither of us have been in organized hockey (outside of me joining my team 2 years ago) and feel like that would also help. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

timjNL

Jul 19, 2010
St. John's, NL
<insert TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS joke here>

A friend of mine (29) and myself (25) are looking to join an ice hockey team, but both of us are terrible. Our skating is probably our biggest downfall, but none of our skills are really high end. I currently play in a league over at the Sensplex in Kanata, but am obviously the worst player on our team and potentially league wide. We both really want to get into a league in which would fit our skill level because trying to keep up with these guys can be difficult and frustrating. We're both also interested in any kind of hockey camp type deal, since neither of us have been in organized hockey (outside of me joining my team 2 years ago) and feel like that would also help. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah, it's actually kinda dangerous (for you and for others) to play with players much better than you. You keep trailing the play, you end up skating in the wrong direction, and a collision is not far away...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
This guy runs adult skills clinics. IIRC, they're on weekday mornings in Barrhaven...nope, Carleton U:

http://actioninnovation.ca/

I highly recommend him. He also runs HIPA, which tries to connect adult players with teams and organize tournament trips.

http://www.hockey-ipa.com/

EDIT: Correction, skills clinics are at Carleton U. on Friday mornings.

Last edited:

Maciver63

Jan 29, 2010
Volchenkov, I play in a beer league and we are looking for players.
No offence to you but it sounds like you and your friend would be a little out of place in our league. I would suggest that you look at some of the Programs offered by the City of Ottawa. They have all kinds of skating programs that could help you.

That being said, if any one out there is interested, we need a handful of guys for our league. We play Saturday nights at the Goulbourn Rec Centre in Stitsville.
It is a wide range of age and skills but for the most part, it is decent hockey and it is very well run. We have a draft party, pizza nights, plenty of refreshments after the games.

We have pre-season games this Saturday night. We try to get all new guys out to take a look at the player before we have the draft (Thursday Sept. 22nd).
If you want to come out on Saturday night, let me know. There would be no obligation to you. Give you a chance to see if you like it.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.

Thanks!

http://www.ottawarechockey.com/

Check this organization out. The Saturday night game at Merivale and the Monday night game at Belltown Dome were both originally designed for real beginners. Both games have become a bit faster over the years but there are still beginners in both games.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

Thanks!

Try hooking up with older guys for a while. They are much slower and less rambunctious.

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
I'm more or less in the same boat, except my skating is decent-ish. Let me know what you find and I'll definitely be game.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Could help you guys out in the Cambridge area, but alas I don't know Ottawa leagues.

xVolchenkov

Jun 21, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for all the responses everyone. We really apreciate all the help and suggestions.

I definitely downplayed my own personal skill level but to me it was important that we could get into something together. Looks like we have a lot great options to choose from.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Thanks for all the responses everyone. We really apreciate all the help and suggestions.

I definitely downplayed my own personal skill level but to me it was important that we could get into something together. Looks like we have a lot great options to choose from.

Jeez, there has got to be a league for guys in their 20's, 30s, 40's that aren't all "former hockey players trying to relive their glory days" with varying skill levels. Your skill level sounds about the same as mine, and I've always shied away from joining leagues for fears that I wouldn't keep up and I'd just piss everyone off. I can play, I can skate, i can shoot, but I never played it growing up. And I'm not interested in attending skills clinics etc just to be able to join a beer league.

... let's start our OWN league. We can call our team the Meandering Misfits :sarcasm:

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
If you can find powerskating lessons - do that. If you're a good skater you'll do fine as a hockey player. When I was a kid I didn't play hockey until my early teens. But I knew how to skate really well. First year playing ice hockey and I got a tryout to an A team.

Skating is critical. Everything else - if you've played ball hockey you should be fine at it. It's all about confidence on skates.

Ponis

Nov 18, 2004
http://www.ottawarechockey.com/

Check this organization out. The Saturday night game at Merivale and the Monday night game at Belltown Dome were both originally designed for real beginners. Both games have become a bit faster over the years but there are still beginners in both games.

I'm friends with the guy who organises the Saturday night session. He's always looking for spares. Anyone who's interested, feel free to PM me some basic contact information (name, email address), and I can get you on the list.
Note: as this is a pickup league, there is a fee ($18) charged for spares.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Jeez, there has got to be a league for guys in their 20's, 30s, 40's that aren't all "former hockey players trying to relive their glory days" with varying skill levels. Your skill level sounds about the same as mine, and I've always shied away from joining leagues for fears that I wouldn't keep up and I'd just piss everyone off. I can play, I can skate, i can shoot, but I never played it growing up. And I'm not interested in attending skills clinics etc just to be able to join a beer league.

... let's start our OWN league. We can call our team the Meandering Misfits :sarcasm:

The biggest problem I find is effectively power creep.

You have leagues out there, but once people find a league they stay in it for 20+ years usually and as a result the skill level tends to slowly increase over the years, and the competitiveness picks up a little bit along with it due to familiarity.

The amount of ice available is finite, and preference is (rightfully so) given to the kids. So you have a limited number of ice times, and a slowly increasing number of people who want to play. So it usually ends up being a right place, right time situation to get into a league which seems to actually be the summer leagues. Because if you can get in then, you usually can fill in somewhere in the winter because now you have some connections and actually hear about it.

Sometimes its easier, and actually more fun to get a regular group of 20-25 guys and a goalie lineup - and just have a weekly pickup game rather than joining a league.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There should be a league for people who *can't* actually skate all that well. We need to have fun too! And it'll be hilarious for others to watch.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
There should be a league for people who *can't* actually skate all that well. We need to have fun too! And it'll be hilarious for others to watch.

Isn't that called ball/floor/dek hockey? ;)

Seriously though, league I play in has a 'rookie' level where there is people who are still pretty much just learning to skate and play hockey play in. They usually alternate a game week and a 'practice' week.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Isn't that called ball/floor/dek hockey? ;)
I still want to skate, even if it's hilarious to watch!
Seriously though, league I play in has a 'rookie' level where there is people who are still pretty much just learning to skate and play hockey play in. They usually alternate a game week and a 'practice' week.
Sounds ideal! Where is this amazing league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->