Beginner Adult League?

capta

Jul 29, 2003
Edmonton
Hey everyone....anyone know if theres anywheres(I'm in Edmonton)an old guy(47) who has never played Hockey(I've skated a few dozen times)can go to learn to skate and play the Game? I know theres Hockey schools for kids, but are there any for older guys? I want to learn to skate better and play:) Maybe I'm too old?

ace111

Mar 31, 2007
Riverview
Hey everyone....anyone know if theres anywheres(I'm in Edmonton)an old guy(47) who has never played Hockey(I've skated a few dozen times)can go to learn to skate and play the Game? I know theres Hockey schools for kids, but are there any for older guys? I want to learn to skate better and play:) Maybe I'm too old?

This won't help answer your question but I went through the same thing in the Maritimes. I love hockey but had only been on skates 4 times in my life. I am 30 and started up a hockey group. We have 17 to 20 guys twice a week. Plus two goaltenders. We have all kinds of skill levels. You really need to get the right mix of guys. We have some Junior and also University players who come once in awhile and they seem to play "down" to our level lol. It is the best way to go. Like I said you just need to find the right group. We play twice a week year round. Good luck. And like another poster said "Your never too old!!!"

NJFlyer42

Mar 3, 2006
South Jersey
I'm not sure if they're in Edmonton, but years ago I got my start with Hockey North America (www.hna.com) down here in the Philly area. Ended up playing for about 10 years until it started cutting too much into family time. I know that they're in at least a few Canadian cities. Might be worth checking out.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

Check out the rec programs at the University and/or ask around. I found my beginner shinny "league" that way a few years back....they were running it out of Campus Rec on the University campus in Calgary.

Recast

Jan 5, 2005
Spruce Grove

www.emhl.ca

This is the league I play in. They have an old-timers division and then more divisions inside depending on your skill level. I recommend it. Doesn't matter what skill level you are, they'll throw you in and you'll have a great time. Best way to learn is to play, right?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Like others have said, NEVER too old! If you look, you will definitely find a bunch of beginner adult players looking to learn the best game.

WARNING though: Once you play around with that puck a few times...it will become extremely addicting and you will shell out a lot of money to keep playing

...with zero regrets though ;)

Hank19

Apr 11, 2005
http://www.erhl.ca/

This is supposedly one of the greatest run amateur adult hockey leagues in North America.
They have an abundance of teams and divisions for every skill level imagineable.

Check it out.

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Never too old indeed.

My dad is 53, starting hockey this year. There are "Learn to Skate" programs at most rinks for adults. Most rinks also have "Stick and Puck" where people can get on the ice and work on specific parts of their game on their own (you will no doubt receive tips from other people in these sessions), sometimes you have to pay a minimal fee per session.

Best of luck!

Icer

Oct 15, 2004
Most rinks also have "Stick and Puck" where people can get on the ice and work on specific parts of their game on their own (you will no doubt receive tips from other people in these sessions), sometimes you have to pay a minimal fee per session.

Stick and puck in my area (Western Michigan) is $6 per session (usually an hour), $5 if you bring your own puck. Helmets are mandatory.

You should also try drop-in hockey. These are basically open scrimmages and you will find a wide range of talent. It WILL help you learn how to play in game type conditions. Full gear is recommended.

Both of these options allow you to get started playing at a minimum of cost. Hockey schools and leagues like HNA are great but can cost $400 or more per season.

He_Shoots_He_Misses

Jun 16, 2006
Check out the River Cree Twin Rinks in Edmonton

Canlan owns lots of rinks throughout Canada, but mostly in B.C. and Ontario.

http://www.icesports.com/Edmonton_Programs.ashx?lang=en

They usually recommend taking their hockey programs prior to signing up for their league, The ASHL (Adult Safe Hockey League).

Here in Toronto I've taken programs with them, but also with some of the other programs for beginner adults. We must have over a dozen now in this city.

mmitchell19

Apr 11, 2007
Ellisville, MO
I'm not sure if they're in Edmonton, but years ago I got my start with Hockey North America (www.hna.com) down here in the Philly area. Ended up playing for about 10 years until it started cutting too much into family time. I know that they're in at least a few Canadian cities. Might be worth checking out.

Hey, another HNA guy! That makes two of us!!!

I actually grew up playing in the Kansas City area (learned to skate as a young 'un, not an adult)...I've been in St. Louis since '92, and joined an HNA team here in '98ish (STL Stingers - B1 Division). It's a really well-run league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->