Before you buy NHL22, think about this:

efficiency23

Jun 29, 2021
1. Your skill is negated by your proximity to a server. It's a proven fact that players near servers have an advantage. EA has refused to acknowledge or do anything about this. This means that if you work hard and are great at this, you're still equal to an average player who lives next to a server (QC for example). Do you want to deal with that again?
2. EAs stance on puckragging (relayed to us on the official EA forum by CMs) is that they "don't see it as a problem". In thqt forum, our best opportunity to interact with them, they've refused to give transparency and/or commit to a concrete plan to combat it. It'll be there next year. Do you want to deal with that?
3. It's a proven fact that base gold teams magically catch up to higher rated cards. I'm telling any player who doubts me to go give a base gold team a try. Then remember that the point of the game is to earn better players..... who are useless against base golds. Do you want to experience that again?
4. Remember the GWC? The guy who won the whole thing, Eki, said the following after winning:
“It’s a bit of a shame that you can play this simple of an offense”
“I don’t love how you score goals right now”
“I have tried to play a pretty fast-paced, counterattack hockey with a lot of creativity, but it wasn’t getting me the tournament results.”
“During this 1.5 years, I have never felt truly in control of the game.”
“I scored most of my goals in the tournament the same way: be as fast as possible and wait for the cross crease.”
Even the guy who won the GWC takes shots at this game and confirms it's just a cross-crease race. Do you want that again?
Think about that before buying NHL22.

Last edited:

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
1. Your skill is negated by your proximity to a server. It's a proven fact that players near servers have an advantage. EA has refused to acknowledge or do anything about this. This means that if you work hard and are great at this, you're still equal to an average player who lives next to a server (QC for example). Do you want to deal with that again?
2. EAs stance on puckragging (relayed to us on this forum by CMs) is that they "don't see it as a problem". In this forum, our best opportunity to interact with them, they've refused to give transparency and/or commit to a concrete plan to combat it. It'll be there next year. Do you want to deal with that?
3. It's a proven fact that base gold teams magically catch up to higher rated cards. I am not saying anything specific about DDA or ice tilt or any of that existing, so no admins, this isn't a repeat of that topic. I'm telling any player who doubts me to go give a base gold team a try. Then remember that the point of the game is to earn better players..... who are useless against base golds. Do you want to experience that again?
4. Remember the GWC? The guy who won the whole thing, Eki, said the following after winning:
“It’s a bit of a shame that you can play this simple of an offense”
“I don’t love how you score goals right now”
“I have tried to play a pretty fast-paced, counterattack hockey with a lot of creativity, but it wasn’t getting me the tournament results.”
“During this 1.5 years, I have never felt truly in control of the game.”
“I scored most of my goals in the tournament the same way: be as fast as possible and wait for the cross crease.”
Even the guy who won the GWC takes shots at this game and confirms it's just a cross-crease race. Do you want that again?
Think about that before buying NHL22.
I don't buy it for the online gaming. I buy it for the franchise mode, and the gameplay is nice to have.
Also Black Friday deals. $30.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
lol skill

this game hasn't rewarded skill, to ANY balanced and reasonable degree, since at least NHL14 and I would argue NHL09.

If the game does not reward skill why the same people are always in the GWC finals? I agree that online 1v1 gets kinda boring after a while when everyone is just looking for certain exploits but I still have lots of fun playing with friends 5v5/6v6 EASHL or co-op versus.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If the game does not reward skill why the same people are always in the GWC finals? I agree that online 1v1 gets kinda boring after a while when everyone is just looking for certain exploits but I still have lots of fun playing with friends 5v5/6v6 EASHL or co-op versus.

I did alway enjoy it while playing it against friends that didn't take it too seriously (didn't just spam the exploits). It plays pretty flat that way. I fell out when playing franchise mode against he CPU. You crank the difficulty up to get even games and all they do is adjust the goalies. I'm hoping they invested some time in improving the defensive AI. It's always been way too easy to gain the zone and get shots on net.

ThePsychicSaw

Jul 24, 2009
If you think exploiting horrific control/a.i. with the same forced plays that defy logic and physics, which should almost never be rewarded, is skill...

well, thats precisely why I added "to ANY balanced and reasonable degree," for cluelessness like yours.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
If you think exploiting horrific control/a.i. with the same forced plays that defy logic and physics, which should almost never be rewarded, is skill...

well, thats precisely why I added "to ANY balanced and reasonable degree," for cluelessness like yours.

Fair enough I guess I have different perception of "any balanced and reasonable degree".

Yes I count that as a skill to be able to exploit the game engine better than your opponent. I don't think the control is that horrific unless you have a shitty connection and every forced play and "glitch" goal has a counter if you know how to play. People are obviously gonna take advantage of the a.i especially when the game is competitive in nature but how the hell are you gonna ever make the a.i perfect without it being overpowered? If you look at the top 1v1 players they just are more skillful at playing with the a.i especially when defending.

Of course the game still has its flaws when it comes to some physics (most notably pucks going through sticks/bodies some time) but I just find it funny when people are looking back at some 90s and early 2000 editions like they were the ultimate simulation. I've played since 2000 back then on PC and switched to console for 08 and I just don't get how it supposedly rewarded "skill" more in those earlier editons compared to present day.

Reactions: haveandare

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't buy it for the online gaming. I buy it for the franchise mode, and the gameplay is nice to have.

Based on the complaints and footage I've seen over the years, I couldn't imagine wanting to go through the headache of playing these sports games against others online. Franchise mode has always been where it's at for me since NHL95

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
HUT this year was abysmal. The same people doing the same things and then hiding behind the goalie so either you take a penalty or give up another odd man rush for the cross crease. It's extra wack

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I recreated all the rosters from my 31 team dynasty league,
created a 31 playoffs with a min 20$ buy in
50% went to winner
50% went to Sick Kids
raised 440$
so I wrote off the 220$ on my taxes
I haven't submitted it yet so I dunno I should get that money back.
Either way felt good running it, and I will buy just for that alone.

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021

Same, I usually never play online. I have more fun with franchise mode. I'll buy NHL 22 especially since Seattle will be in it.

Anyways, anyone know when NHL 22 is released? August?

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Based on the complaints and footage I've seen over the years, I couldn't imagine wanting to go through the headache of playing these sports games against others online. Franchise mode has always been where it's at for me since NHL95

I've always always played franchise and loved every single release franchise wise, though maybe not all equally (11 was my favourite, mostly for the a/b/c potential).

That said, I play online against friends a good amount and usually have a good time. But I guess none of my friends are the supposed cheese goal ping abusers people complain about?

Also HUT has always been a booty game mode since it started, never understood why people bought a sports game to pay more to play it with the players you like. Just play the offline modes and you remove pay to win, and crying about enemies!

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The NHL series has regressed since the last year on PS3 with drop-in games.

They eliminated drop-in games in favor of only club play (yeah, because I can get five guys to play video games on a schedule. Why not just add a cat-herding mode?), and every game mode they have now that they also had back then is either exactly the same or worse; while every new mode is just a way to try and get suckers to spend cash.

Hey, here's World Of Chel, it's like EASHL or Drop In, only you have to spend real cash for fake cash to buy what you want to wear. Or hey, try the EA Ultimate Team nonsense, which is so vastly inferior to what 2K and SDS have.

I wish the MLB The Show team would make a hockey game. Diamond Dynasty bricks on the chest of EA's "Ultimate Team" mode.

Nothing will ever top the last year of NHL on PS3, where you could play pick-up online games and it was fun. I literally have had PS friends for YEARS now because they friended me or vice versa because we passed to each other in a drop-in game on PS3.

EA is garbage now.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
I've played NHL 09, NHL 13, NHL 18, and NHL 20.

The best NHL is the 20. It seems that the 21 is better.

If you think a previous version is better play it.

The discourse of regression, of EA's incompetence, I know it by heart. I hear it for all licenses.

Like the myth of 2K which is supposedly more competent.

NHL 22 will probably be a great game. I waited 4 years and Seattle arrived to be able to do my franchise mode.

I know what I want, how I will enjoy the game. I will fix a few things in the option menu like all other sports games and I will appreciate this game for its many qualities without focusing on the few flaws; often insignificant.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I've played NHL 09, NHL 13, NHL 18, and NHL 20.

The best NHL is the 20. It seems that the 21 is better.

If you think a previous version is better play it.

The discourse of regression, of EA's incompetence, I know it by heart. I hear it for all licenses.

Like the myth of 2K which is supposedly more competent.

NHL 22 will probably be a great game. I waited 4 years and Seattle arrived to be able to do my franchise mode.

I know what I want, how I will enjoy the game. I will fix a few things in the option menu like all other sports games and I will appreciate this game for its many qualities without focusing on the few flaws; often insignificant.

I've only played NHL 14 on PS3 for the past year on and off. Never played NHL 21, and I still beat everyone in my friend group and my brother who have owned every game since NHL 14.
The improvements in gameplay I found minimal, not to say lacking. Changes (to dekes namely) are irrelevant in the games.

Great for you if you enjoy the new games, but you have to understand the cynicism of people when it comes to a new EA NHL game... $60 CAD (~$50US) for a game that is a small improvement to one from 6-7 years ago is pretty steep.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because they cheese the best.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
I've only played NHL 14 on PS3 for the past year on and off. Never played NHL 21, and I still beat everyone in my friend group and my brother who have owned every game since NHL 14.
The improvements in gameplay I found minimal, not to say lacking. Changes (to dekes namely) are irrelevant in the games.

Great for you if you enjoy the new games, but you have to understand the cynicism of people when it comes to a new EA NHL game... $60 CAD (~$50US) for a game that is a small improvement to one from 6-7 years ago is pretty steep.

I did play only NHL14 on PS3 and then NHL20 on xbone and i did prefer the older versions gameplay - it did feel more varied to me. In the 20 i felt like there are were just 2 kinds of goals to score.

Reactions: abo9

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The franchise mode is garbage. They ruined it in 21 and their AI controlled teams never follow any kind of logic. Always capped out and completely brainless rosters.

They're still playing catch up with EHM released over half a decade ago and they're still losing.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I did play only NHL14 on PS3 and then NHL20 on xbone and i did prefer the older versions gameplay - it did feel more varied to me. In the 20 i felt like there are were just 2 kinds of goals to score.

seriously though, since the 2014 I feel like they've at best stagnated. Graphics are better I guess?

From 2005 to 2014 though, the titles are night and day. Introduction of the stick control, much better graphics and physics, revamped fights, after whistle scrums, intro to dekes, intro to pokechecks or liftchecks (I think?).

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

As someone that lives in western Canada and plays in a competitive 6's league(LG) this is a huge issue. Playing on 55-70 ping against players often in the single digits or teens is unfair at its core and not really all that good of a gaming experience.

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019

There must have been a hell of a good time between the 13 and the 14 because in the 13, the graphics were dull, the movements more jerky, the face-offs were cheated and it was enough to produce the same run to stack the goals in. the skylight.

In my opinion, NHL 20 is indisputably better than NHL 18 and NHL 13.

Reactions: JLFGoNicsGo11

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
There must have been a hell of a good time between the 13 and the 14 because in the 13, the graphics were dull, the movements more jerky, the face-offs were cheated and it was enough to produce the same run to stack the goals in. the skylight.

In my opinion, NHL 20 is indisputably better than NHL 18 and NHL 13.

Well graphics and movements are subjectives I guess, I do find 14 pretty fluid though, and I'm playing on a 50 inches TV and it looks nice - though I've never caref so much for graphics.

faceoffs are definitely not cheatable, it's like in 20 and 21 where when you move too fast you lose the faceoff.

Goals, well, you get glitch goals in every games. In 14 it's more about shots and certain positions on the ice rather than one timers.

overall, is nhl 21 better? Probably -there's 7 years in between! And if I had a current gn console I would probably buy it for the league's upgrade (vegas, seattle).

But a lot of people complain about the similitudes between each subsequent games. To those people, don't buy the next NHL games, they'll again be disapointed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->