OT: Bee's Bar: Where Everybody Knows Your Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I may have gotten burnt at the Cricket yesterday...

Do you guys get Good Friday and Good Monday off in the USA?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I may have gotten burnt at the Cricket yesterday...

Do you guys get Good Friday and Good Monday off in the USA?

No, my company gives us "floating holidays" instead of having off Good Friday and Easter Monday. I like that a lot more, it's better to have that than to have holidays for 1 religion forced on everyone.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
No, my company gives us "floating holidays" instead of having off Good Friday and Easter Monday. I like that a lot more, it's better to have that than to have holidays for 1 religion forced on everyone.

We get it off plus if you're a Civil Servant you get a day off from the Queen. We also have two bank holidays in May.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We get it off plus if you're a Civil Servant you get a day off from the Queen. We also have two bank holidays in May.

Like Ogre said, it's hard to compare US time off and Europe time off because the US is super backwards when it comes to time off. I have 3 weeks paid time off plus 10 holidays per year, and that's good for a lot of this country. I would bet that a time off and holiday package like that would be horrible in Europe.

I really wish the US had a better work-life balance. Whether it's fewer than 40 hour workweeks or more time off than 3 weeks a year, it would be great for the US to get caught up to the rest of the world.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Europe has this work-life balance thing figured out way better than we do here in the states. Though I just got an extra week of vacation up to 4 now.

The only bad thing about the new job I got is that my annual leaves goes down from my 29 now to 25. But it's still decent and I can take flexi-time if I work too much above my hours. 30 minutes for 3 days, 1.5 hour a week. Do that for a month and that's an extra day off.

So, in total, without the flexi time I get 25 days annual leave, 1 privilege day and 8 bank holidays for a total of 34 days off work.

You can carry some forward too, so I could carry forward to next year and get 40. But, I wouldn't get many this year.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Like Ogre said, it's hard to compare US time off and Europe time off because the US is super backwards when it comes to time off. I have 3 weeks paid time off plus 10 holidays per year, and that's good for a lot of this country. I would bet that a time off and holiday package like that would be horrible in Europe.

I really wish the US had a better work-life balance. Whether it's fewer than 40 hour workweeks or more time off than 3 weeks a year, it would be great for the US to get caught up to the rest of the world.
do you get to do the every other friday off thing? I wish I had that at least.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

WTF. I have many years on you and still only have 2 weeks of vacation. :laugh: :(

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The only bad thing about the new job I got is that my annual leaves goes down from my 29 now to 25. But it's still decent and I can take flexi-time if I work too much above my hours. 30 minutes for 3 days, 1.5 hour a week. Do that for a month and that's an extra day off.

So, in total, without the flexi time I get 25 days annual leave, 1 privilege day and 8 bank holidays for a total of 34 days off work.

You can carry some forward too, so I could carry forward to next year and get 40. But, I wouldn't get many this year.
I think that gives you like 5 or 6 more days than me, plus the flex stuff. So not as different as I figured. But that's only after I got an extra week after 5 years.

We can't carry any of our time over year to year, but they will pay us for up to 5 days if we don't use it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
do you get to do the every other friday off thing? I wish I had that at least.

Yes I do, I work the 9/80 schedule. On one hand, it's nice to get every other Friday off, so you get more days off. On the other hand, working 9 hour days suck. It's not much different than a traditional schedule, you're just working more when you're there and then you get an additional day off.

WTF. I have many years on you and still only have 2 weeks of vacation. :laugh: :(

My company trades more time off for **** pay, I'd 100% trade you jobs based on my rough estimate on what you make :laugh:

That's literally what they told us as interns, they compensate for their below market pay with stuff like more time off, the 9/80 schedule, good 401k matching programs and good other benefits. The problem is that their benefits aren't actually that good, they're just better than the rest of the crap benefits a lot of companies offer.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes I do, I work the 9/80 schedule. On one hand, it's nice to get every other Friday off, so you get more days off. On the other hand, working 9 hour days suck. It's not much different than a traditional schedule, you're just working more when you're there and then you get an additional day off.
When I travel, I end up working extra anyway. So that would be pretty great. Though my boss is pretty good about knowing I work extra so he is cool with me coming in late and whatnot. He actually told me not to worry about turning in anything for time off when I took a couple days earlier in the year. Those are definitely advantages of the small company. The disadvantage obviously being that my boss (the vice president of the company) is that in touch with what I'm doing :laugh: double edged sword there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When I travel, I end up working extra anyway. So that would be pretty great. Though my boss is pretty good about knowing I work extra so he is cool with me coming in late and whatnot. He actually told me not to worry about turning in anything for time off when I took a couple days earlier in the year. Those are definitely advantages of the small company.

My current work schedule is normally 6 to 3:30, but I sometimes have to say until 4:30 or 5 because of meetings or such. The thing that sucks is that Bettis has such limited parking that you either get to start at a reasonable time (and by that, I mean like 8:00) or get a parking spot. They over-hired people in recent years and didn't expand things like parking or office spaces, now they're scrambling with too many people, not enough parking and not enough offices. So even though I work 10 hours some days, I can't really come in much later than I normally do because I won't be able to find a parking spot.

After I'm done working here (which is a when, because I'm not using my thermodynamics degree focus like I want to be doing), I really want to change to startup companies or smaller companies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
My current work schedule is normally 6 to 3:30, but I sometimes have to say until 4:30 or 5 because of meetings or such. The thing that sucks is that Bettis has such limited parking that you either get to start at a reasonable time (and by that, I mean like 8:00) or get a parking spot. They over-hired people in recent years and didn't expand things like parking or office spaces, now they're scrambling with too many people, not enough parking and not enough offices. So even though I work 10 hours some days, I can't really come in much later than I normally do because I won't be able to find a parking spot.

After I'm done working here (which is a when, because I'm not using my thermodynamics degree focus like I want to be doing), I really want to change to startup companies or smaller companies.
don't you guys have like on-campus sports fields and shit? But no parking?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
gotcha. I know you have leagues, I don't know why I thought they were on location.

Bettis used to have fields on it, back when the softball league here was really big, but that has since been killed in favor of parking. I'm not sure where the Bettis Ultimate league takes place, I just know it's not at Bettis.

The softball league is similar, they play all around West Mifflin baseball fields. When I played, I had games anywhere from right next to Kennywood to down in Clairton or Elizabeth.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Bettis used to have fields on it, back when the softball league here was really big, but that has since been killed in favor of parking. I'm not sure where the Bettis Ultimate league takes place, I just know it's not at Bettis.

The softball league is similar, they play all around West Mifflin baseball fields. When I played, I had games anywhere from right next to Kennywood to down in Clairton or Elizabeth.
it's funny to me that I've heard you complain about Bettis more than the 5-10 Bettis folks I go to a bar with on a weekly basis :laugh:

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
it's funny to me that I've heard you complain about Bettis more than the 5-10 Bettis folks I go to a bar with on a weekly basis :laugh:

I haven't drank the kool-aide yet, which is the Thursday morning berry oatmeal at breakfast. That's my problem :laugh:

I definitely understand why people like working there, there are definitely some clear pros. If I was in a unit where I was doing more thermal analysis stuff (I'm doing plant modeling now, which isn't a bad alternate), I bet I would like it more. My problem is that I want to be pursuing a doctorate right now, not working full time and doing part time school for a master's. All of my complaints should probably be in that context, the context of me wanting to be in academia right now.

As of right now, I think I want to either go into thermal R&D work or I want to be teaching at the college level. My complaints aren't really "Bettis sucks to work at" as much as they are "I can't do what I want to do at Bettis".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad