OT: Beer Thread

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Just had a lambic weekend with some friends. Lambics were consumed from 6 pm - 1 AM. Some treats, including a 1993 Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus and some Bokkeryder lambics. Intense and fun night

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
A. Le Cog - good beer for early awakenings to watch, for example WPG-ARI game. Easier to swallow then Jets' lack of effort... especially for few first periods/cans.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
This is OT ..but does anyone know of a online Scotch Of The Month club that ships to Manitoba? There are some really fantastic clubs online but I can't seem to find one to ship to MB.. I am guessing our liquor laws makes it impossible...

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This is OT ..but does anyone know of a online Scotch Of The Month club that ships to Manitoba? There are some really fantastic clubs online but I can't seem to find one to ship to MB.. I am guessing our liquor laws makes it impossible...

It's not OT, it was established early that this thread was for all alcohol discussions, not just beer. I expect you're right, but contacting the MLCC on what is and isn't permissible would be the place to start.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
i bought a bottle 4ish years ago.
simple answer:
its a neat tasting "beer". really complex.
still working on that bottle. it's not an everyday sipper.
but you can buy a nice port for half that price
Where did you get your hands on a bottle? Did MLCC carry it?

portamoral

Nov 6, 2015
Double IPA theme night?

Good choices.
every night is double IPA night in this household o_O

so far the boys at surly have yet to let me down. great brews..balanced and tasty. clutch when watching the bombers/jets stink up the joint

Reactions: Ducky10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

You can contact MLCC but they'll tell you this: If you want to bring in any alcohol they don't sell they will do so for you. They will tell you the price in advance but you must order a case, so whether that's six bottles or twelve depends on the manufacturer but that's what you'll be on the hook for. Something like the Scotch Malt Whisky Society is in general a no no because they ship single bottles, something that MLCC cannot profit from. You are not allowed to ship alcohol into or out of Manitoba by Canada Post or any of the courier companies. You also cannot legally do this in any province in this country with the exception of Alberta because of their much more liberal alcohol laws. I've been up and down this road for Scotch quite a few times. Some of my favorite scotches have been discontinued and were even put on clearance in Alberta where I had friends more than willing to pick up a bunch for me and ship it to me but there is no legal way to do that. You can try but if the shipment is checked for any reason both you and the shipper can be charged in addition to losing the shipment with no compensation for the seized product. It is indeed our archaic liquor laws that make it impossible the only good thing is we're not alone. Monopolies relying on sin taxes don't like to share. The only real avenue to work through/around this is to have a friend in Alberta order what you want and when you are out there next or they are out here next someone can drive it over provincial borders. But be aware there are still limits if you're driving so you can't really bring back four cases of scotch for yourself. It's just the likelihood of someone stopping you and checking is remarkably small. But it too could be seized.

On the positive side of things I went to Trans Canada Brewing today on Kenaston and it's a nice place. I really hope it takes off because I want it to survive. Pretty standard setting for a micro brewery of sorts, sort of your beer hall type setup with limited food menu. Nice assortment of beers that are available in a range of sizes. Had the Belgian Table Beer, India Pale Ale and Session Pale Ale. Also had a taster of the Double IPA but didn't enjoy it as much as the Surly Abrasive which I've had in past and last night as well, given it's currently available at local MLCCs. Not liking the price ($6.99/can) but given it is a limited release in Minnesota as well I figured I'd grab a can. I believe this one usually retails in the U.S. for $15.99/four pack. I love me some Surly, just don't like the pricing. Of course that said I snagged a couple of bottles of Surly Furious Black as well and those weren't remotely cheap.

Reactions: Wolf357

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Last chance to pick up a beer advent calendar today.

My store only got 8, and there were 5 of us lined up in the cold before the store opened this morning. Check the store inventory to see if a location near you might still have one, but they could be sold out anyway. Looks like a nice selection, maybe a little heavier on the IPA side than I like. Mostly straight up brews, nothing overly adventurous like the Red Racer/Parallel 49 box. About half are normal strength, half are strong to very strong. But that's all I'll say. Don't want to spoil it for anyone.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Last chance to pick up a beer advent calendar today.

My store only got 8, and there were 5 of us lined up in the cold before the store opened this morning. Check the store inventory to see if a location near you might still have one, but they could be sold out anyway. Looks like a nice selection, maybe a little heavier on the IPA side than I like. Mostly straight up brews, nothing overly adventurous like the Red Racer/Parallel 49 box. About half are normal strength, half are strong to very strong. But that's all I'll say. Don't want to spoil it for anyone.

that is a great concept. A little pricey but that would be a fun gift!

Reactions: portamoral

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
ABC-rules to The Drunken behavior in The HFBoards

1.) Your rantings should always seek to a minimum level of provocation, but never be directed against anybody in person.
2.) Your rants can be simplistic, even factually wrong. Someone sober will correct you if you go too much to the woods.
3.) Never get angry if someone corrects you. Never get angry if you're attacked for being wrong... or just attacked because of your more or less wrong opinion. Or because you're fan of X and/or Y.
4.) Always try introduce new perspective to a topic, even then you're outnumbered and proved be wrong (even then you're not) by majority.
5.) Remember that even then you're wrong, people who try correct you must make so job to provide proofs for their their opinions, and even they would be wrong with their proofs, someone else will correct them. Everyone will learn in a process.
6.) Always be nice to asshats and goons, totally regardless of what they may say or comment. Ignore trolls.
7.) Never forget it's a platform of social media of sort, revolving aroung the game of hockey.
8.) Replenish always when necessary, until your supply lines are dry.
9.) If some board gets old, search for new frontiers. Read topics of your new frontiers.
10.) When you can't read anymore, turn your computer off. Be happy. And Sleep well.

:ha::skeptic::huh:

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
I did the Phillips Snowcase a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Got the Red Racer this year. Almost December 1!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
ABC-rules to The Drunken behavior in The HFBoards

1.) Your rantings should always seek to a minimum level of provocation, but never be directed against anybody in person.
2.) Your rants can be simplistic, even factually wrong. Someone sober will correct you if you go too much to the woods.
3.) Never get angry if someone corrects you. Never get angry if you're attacked for being wrong... or just attacked because of your more or less wrong opinion. Or because you're fan of X and/or Y.
4.) Always try introduce new perspective to a topic, even then you're outnumbered and proved be wrong (even then you're not) by majority.
5.) Remember that even then you're wrong, people who try correct you must make so job to provide proofs for their their opinions, and even they would be wrong with their proofs, someone else will correct them. Everyone will learn in a process.
6.) Always be nice to asshats and goons, totally regardless of what they may say or comment. Ignore trolls.
7.) Never forget it's a platform of social media of sort, revolving aroung the game of hockey.
8.) Replenish always when necessary, until your supply lines are dry.
9.) If some board gets old, search for new frontiers. Read topics of your new frontiers.
10.) When you can't read anymore, turn your computer off. Be happy. And Sleep well.

:ha::skeptic::huh:

This is good advice. I shall try to adhere to most of these rules on all future drunken rants. Especially number two. I've always found facts get in the way of a good rant, which of course, must be based on ingrained belief systems and biases, political incorrectness and questionable logic. :thumbu:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I did the Phillips Snowcase a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Got the Red Racer this year. Almost December 1!

I hate playing by the rules, so all of the advent calendars I got (Stiegl, Red Racer/Parallel 49 and Phillips) have been ripped open, examined and incorporated into my daily beer consumption schedule. Have yet to come across a beer I didn't like. The downside? You come across a beer you really like, even love, and realize you may never taste this beer again. :(

Next year, it is my mission to get all the beer advent calendars.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think I'm going to have to stop buying my favorite beer, 3 Monts. Two out of the last three bottles I've opened tasted like they were infected. They had a nasty sourness and off flavour.

Edit: Popped open my last one last night and it was fine. So, two out of the last four. Still, don't like the odds. I'm wondering if bad corks are the culprit. Much of the wine world has seen the light and moved on to Stelvin closures, or at least synths. Breweries also should get over this romanticized view that corks have a rustic charm about them. They're really just accidents waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Went over to TCB this past weekend, rather enjoyed their double IPA, shockingly smooth. Also a nice blueberry ale and a good saison.
Place needs some atmosphere though, its better when the live music is playing but the overall lighting and mood of the room is too bland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad