OT: Beer Thread

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Is this where I claim IPA's is overrated :sarcasm:
Anyone else here love Sours? I've been going absolutely nuts over Fruitlands Modern Times Tropical Fruit Gose lately!

Reactions: Ducky10

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Anyone have any opinions on Barnhammer beers right now? Looking at getting a keg shipped here in January. I like my beer hoppy. I've tried their red before and thought it was decent.

The Saturday Night Lumberjack (double IPA) comes to mind. 75 IBU which is extremely hoppy; however, their website says they do not ship kegs so you'd have to arrange something on your own if you want to get it to Calgary.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Anyone else here love Sours? I've been going absolutely nuts over Fruitlands Modern Times Tropical Fruit Gose lately!

Praising sours and dissing IPA's. If Hannu doesn't respond to this, we'll know something has happened to him. :laugh:

Gose are OK, but I prefer something like Rodenbach Grand Cru or Duchesse de Bourgogne.

Reactions: DashingDane

Derfel

Everybody Loves Me
Oct 4, 2017
Calgary, AB
The Saturday Night Lumberjack (double IPA) comes to mind. 75 IBU which is extremely hoppy; however, their website says they do not ship kegs so you'd have to arrange something on your own if you want to get it to Calgary.

Well, that's no good. I'll get a second Calgary keg instead I guess!

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Thoughts on One Great City?

I love the location and food. Atmosphere is good during Jets games. The beer seems lacking to me, nothing interesting on their regular menu. The pale ale and belgan reminded me of my homebrew with off-flavours. Can any beer experts chime in?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Thoughts on One Great City?

I love the location and food. Atmosphere is good during Jets games. The beer seems lacking to me, nothing interesting on their regular menu. The pale ale and belgan reminded me of my homebrew with off-flavours. Can any beer experts chime in?

I don't know if I'm a beer expert, but I find their offerings enjoyable. I've had five of their beers now, and the only one I didn't care for was a cherry saison, which was a summer specialty brew. Cherry flavour was on the heavy side for my preference. The pale, blonde, bitter and IPA were all decent. None struck me as being overtly flawed. To compare that with another brewpub I'm quite familiar with, Bushwakker in Regina has a few good beers but they also have some real dogs where I can pick out technical flaws. Similarly with other brewpubs I've been to from Banff to Niagara Falls. Just from talking to the brewers in some of these places, it sounds like throughput is a priority. The brewer at Banff Ave Brewing told me they do all their beers with one strain that was chosen because it knocks a couple of days off the brew cycle.

Anyway, maybe that comes across as damning with faint praise, but I don't go to brewpubs expecting world class offerings. Plus, the food at OGC is good and the bar and serving staff super friendly and attentive. They will continue to get my business.

Reactions: surixon

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Yes, I've been digging Sours lately myself.........IPA's however, are not overrated.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Has anyone here been to Ireland? I went recently and was surprised by how different Guinness beer tastes over there vs in NA. Anyone know why that is?

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Has anyone here been to Ireland? I went recently and was surprised by how different Guinness beer tastes over there vs in NA. Anyone know why that is?

My guess would be the water used and / or the distributor. Not that I drink a lot of it, but when I travel it is quite revealing how different a Coke tastes in different parts of the world.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Another field test with Finnish lagers...

Total about 4-5 litres of Karjala, Karhu and such... and one Olvi IPA (first field test for me with this label). Few karaoke songs (performed pretty well).

Then I tested first time in my life Kaski Jaloviina, for gearing my drunk drive up. Oh I fell in love to it!

New assortment of the Field test Nov 6th 2017 (via 5 pubs/bars):

olvi_ipa%2B(8)%2B(Kopio).jpg

Drinkable. Taste could not be determined to a deeper detail due drunken condition and chain smoking already numbed my ability to make tasting tests adequately.
jaloviina-kaski.jpg

Kaski Jaloviina. My new love with smoky taste. When already flying somewhere near 2 promilles it really helped to switch the gear up. What I can recall I drank 2 shots. I was capable to walk to the home without 4-WD... and aftermath proved to be lot more forgiving then I thought it would be considering the volume of drinking... to an empty stomach. Great! Recommended!

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Another field test with Finnish lagers...

Total about 4-5 litres of Karjala, Karhu and such... and one Olvi IPA (first field test for me with this label). Few karaoke songs (performed pretty well).

Then I tested first time in my life Kaski Jaloviina, for gearing my drunk drive up. Oh I fell in love to it!

New assortment of the Field test Nov 6th 2017 (via 5 pubs/bars):

olvi_ipa%2B(8)%2B(Kopio).jpg

Drinkable. Taste could not be determined to a deeper detail due drunken condition and chain smoking already numbed my ability to make tasting tests adequately.
jaloviina-kaski.jpg

Kaski Jaloviina. My new love with smoky taste. When already flying somewhere near 2 promilles it really helped to switch the gear up. What I can recall I drank 2 shots. I was capable to walk to the home without 4-WD... and aftermath proved to be lot more forgiving then I thought it would be considering the volume of drinking... to an empty stomach. Great! Recommended!

Remember to have some food while binge drinking. It will help to moderate the alcohol uptake. :nod:

burger4.jpg

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
Was there a few weeks ago and it does taste fresher.. but it does all come from the same place.
Clean lines are also important.
I would say this is the biggest factor
"Ambience and company factor into enjoyment. Overall, Guinness drunk in optimal conditions (in a nice Irish pub vs. the brewery where it was made vs. pubs outside of Ireland) rated much higher in terms of enjoyment than just about anywhere else."

Last edited:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This year's Red Racer/Parallel 49 beer advent calendar looks like a winner. Variations on IPAs, stouts, Belgian ales and more, some straight up, some with interesting flavouring additions. Some serious beer exploration to be had there. And yes, I just tear it open. This surprise a day thing is for the birds. I'll start sampling these when I've cleared out the beer fridge of last week's Stiegl advent calendar. Not as much variety, but a nice selection of their standard lagers, ales and radlers, and a couple of these glasses.
121_stiegl-shop-glas-becher_3.png

Reactions: jungles

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Surly Abrasive double IPA now available in cans at the Quality Beer Store.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
As if you just drink the whole calendar before December. That's awesome. Picked up the red racer one. Can't wait to start it.

irreverentremark

May 10, 2012

Long time lurker on the site, but I have some knowledge on this, so I hope y'all don't mind me chipping in.

Last fall I was in Dublin and I took the VIP Tasting Tour at the Guinness Brewery. If you ever have the chance to go there, I highly recommended it. It is a max 12 people paired with a Guineness expert getting sloshed on different Guinness beers for 4 hours.

Our Guinness expert explained the Guinness in Dublin is exactly the same as the stuff we get in North America. The brewery in Dublin provides the black stuff for Europe and the Americas.

The difference is the care put into pouring the pint. As our expert explained, in Dublin, if you can't pour a proper Guinness, then guy next door can and he will take your business. Pubs in Ireland have access to consultants from the brewery to make sure the lines are cared for properly, the temperature is correct, the glasses are washed properly, the nitrogen mixture is correct, etc.

There are very particular guidelines for pouring a pint of Guinness that, quite frankly, are not followed with the same level of fervor as in Ireland.

Tldr: It's the little things that make the difference, the beer is exactly the same

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This year's Red Racer/Parallel 49 beer advent calendar looks like a winner. Variations on IPAs, stouts, Belgian ales and more, some straight up, some with interesting flavouring additions. Some serious beer exploration to be had there. And yes, I just tear it open. This surprise a day thing is for the birds. I'll start sampling these when I've cleared out the beer fridge of last week's Stiegl advent calendar. Not as much variety, but a nice selection of their standard lagers, ales and radlers, and a couple of these glasses.
121_stiegl-shop-glas-becher_3.png

I really liked the zwickl.

dabizz

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg

For what it's worth the brewmaster at OGC is a massive fan of sours and they just got the last few minor pieces of their brewing system up and installed. Expect some coming in the next couple months!!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Hmmm, Trou du diable bought by Molson.

Interesting
I'm acquaintances with the owners and I don't have many qualms over it.
It has taken a lot of people by surprise. Seems to have come out of nowhere.
But none of us are in their shoes nor know what their books look like or what the offer was like. I hope Andre and Isaac can live their lives in a happy, comfortable manner. They are good guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad