OT: Beer Thread II

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
new_glarus.jpg

If any of you ever find yourselves in Wisconsin... Probably the most amazing local brewery I've ever tried beers from. Spotted Cow and Road Slush are my favorites but I've never had a bad beer by them. Also to Chazz: Try Hoegarden if you haven't already, it puts the Pumpkinhead to shame and it's not a seasonal...

That all looks tasty.

I found this gem at Bevmo yesterday, sampling today, will buy many more tomorrow.

You are probably all familiar with the Arrogant Bass-turd from Stone Brewery in Escondido. Well they outdid themselves this time: I give you the Double Bass-turd!
This is one Damn Good Beer!

Last edited:

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
So I'll be in San Francisco in mid December on a vaca, any local beers or breweries that I should keep an eye out for in that area? The only westcoast beers I'm familiar with are Rogue and the ilk that are popular enough to have national distribution. I know there's some hidden gems in the midwest like New Glarus and Point and in the past there was Leines and Bells, but I've never heard of anything from California. My faves are porters and stouts but I'd be up for trying any local stuff I might be missing out on...

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I no longer drink beer but back home in St Johns there is a maple beer that is one of the greatest tasting beers I have ever had. You would think it heavy like Maple Syrup but it is a blond and is just perfect.

Of course, drink enough Lbatszhiyt and you will think anything is nirvana.

My blew heaven indeed.

And don't get me started about Swillson (mo'son).

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot

I am so going to this. Its but a short mile from where I live and will be held in the same location as one of my favorite sushi places. All the beer I can drink (alot) and a souvenir mug

Where: The Olympic Collection Banquet & Conference Center, 11301 W. Olympic Blvd., West. L.A. (Northwest cornerof Olympic and Sawtelle)
When: 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday
Price: $35

Anyone else?

KRAZGRL

Jan 10, 2011
Orange County, CA
www.flickr.com
Hooray for beer threads!!

Favorite beers:
I pretty much have certain types that I like: IPAs, Porters, Stouts, and Hefs
  • Russian River's Pliny the Younger & Pliny the Elder
  • Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwich & Black Phoenix & Winter (Mint Porter)
  • Lagunitas' Cappuccino Stout
  • Black Flag Imperial Stout (Hop Harvest Edition)
  • Moylan's Imperial Stout
  • Moylan's IPA & Hopsickle
  • Lost Coast's Tangerine Wheat
  • Eel River's Acai Berry Wheat
  • Bear Republic's Racer 5 & Hop Rod Rye
  • Dogfish Head Festina Peche
  • Dogfish Head 90min IPA
  • Oskar Blue's Gordon
  • Kern River's Just Outstanding IPA & Class V Stout
  • Almost all of the Stone Brewery's creations (especially their special edition Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter)
There's so many more I'm not listing... these are just some of my recent favorites.

Breweries Visited:
  • Bootleggers, Fullerton
  • Skyscraper, El Monte
  • Eagle Rock Brewery, Los Angeles
  • The Bruery, Fullerton (didn't get any pics)
  • BJ's, Various soCal locations (no pics, since we go there all the time)
  • Rockbottom Brewery (soCal Locations)
  • Alcatraz Brewery (soCal location)
  • Speakeasy, San Francisco (only found where they manufacture the beer; no tasting room)
    l_928a1975b0b04e14a9572b8a1d356711.jpg

• North Coast, Fort Bragg (sampler below)
l_5c65c0b131434530812df478effd62b4.jpg

• Lost Coast, Eureka
l_9ebdd0398e93439d9ade9d62137d0e5a.jpg

• Eel River, Fortuna
l_4e42e99bfeb147fb80c2105108ef4897.jpg

• Bear Republic, Healdsberg
l_a100ad01fabd4622b4ea1cea1ca10e52.jpg

• Russian River, Santa Rosa
First Trip Sampler:
l_23de72a2dee94d3480e2e3b95f03219a.jpg

Second Trip Sampler:
18761_305809074880_792009880_3147629_5993669_n.jpg

• Ace Cider, Sebastopol
l_e59b17740f96413aa6cac5c6803ece99.jpg

• Third Street Aleworks, Santa Rosa (most likely a local place)
l_8b5b89722474410d9377990451a22901.jpg

• Moylan's, Novato (best sampler, ever!)
l_1a002f1c5faf496bade1aa05c5ece188.jpg

• Oggi's (Left Coast Brewery), This picture from the Santa Clarita location
l_a5582316074e402598ba376dd78f3a2a.jpg

• Anchor Steam, San Francisco
18761_300203229880_792009880_3128301_3275326_n.jpg

• Lagunitas, Petaluma
18761_300203274880_792009880_3128305_4556714_n.jpg

• Marin, Larkspur
18761_305809189880_792009880_3147644_7912212_n.jpg

Almost forgot...

• Miller, Milwaukee
7816_170972764880_792009880_2489678_4058973_n.jpg

Last edited:

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
KRAZGRL,

you just gained a ton of respect from this poster.

I am (or at least was) very familair with the Anchor Steam Brewery as all duirng law school we used to go almost every Thursday afternoon. havent been there since (and that was moer than a few years ago.

The Stone Brewery in Escondido is a nice day trip as well. (Thanks Melissa!) Was there with Scribe and Surly 'bout 6 months back.

Lost Coast is one of my Favorite Brewery's (their Brother Thelonius is a favorite) although I haven't been there but like their product.

I couldn't even begin to list my favorites as in the last 7 months I've had more good/great beers than in the previous 40+ years. Thats what happens when they open up a Bev'MO just 50 yards from one's office. My beer expense quadrupled.

KRAZGRL

Jan 10, 2011
Orange County, CA
www.flickr.com
KRAZGRL,

you just gained a ton of respect from this poster.

I am (or at least was) very familair with the Anchor Steam Brewery as all duirng law school we used to go almost every Thursday afternoon. havent been there since (and that was moer than a few years ago.

The Stone Brewery in Escondido is a nice day trip as well. (Thanks Melissa!) Was there with Scribe and Surly 'bout 6 months back.

Lost Coast is one of my Favorite Brewery's (their Brother Thelonius is a favorite) although I haven't been there but like their product.

I couldn't even begin to list my favorites as in the last 7 months I've had more good/great beers than in the previous 40+ years. Thats what happens when they open up a Bev'MO just 50 yards from one's office. My beer expense quadrupled.

Have you had Lost Coast's 20th Anniversary Ale? I was pleasantly surprised by it.

As you can see the bf and I take vacations around breweries. Who needs wine tasting? lol Loved the experience of driving up hwy 1 from San Fran to Fort Bragg and then continue up the 101 to Eureka. What a trip!

For some reason we haven't made the trek south (even though I live in south OC). We have a huge list of must haves for our southern excursion, hopefully to take place this summer when I'm all healed from back surgery.

I still have some other breweries in the SF area I want to visit like 21st Amendment and stopping by the Rogue brewpub. If you're ever up in the Santa Rosa area around the first weekend in February, stop by Russian River since that is when they release Pliny the Younger. It's their Triple IPA, rated A+++ on any beeradvocate/ratebeer site. Best beer I have ever had. They don't bottle it and it's a seasonal release. (You should stop by anyway, regardless of the time of year for their other amazing brews)

Bev Mo is great, but if you want a phenomenal experience, you have to go to Hi-Time Wine Cellar in Costa Mesa. The walk in beer fridge is a must - just bring a jacket. lol

A great local place to wet your whistle is Rock & Brews on Main St. in El Segundo. Thankfully the bf lives within walking distance to it... otherwise there would be trouble! Right now they're kicking off their IPA fest and are getting some pretty amazing things... errr... I mean, TERRIBLE things on draft! Yeah! That's it! Stop by next month once we get our fill of all the IPAs. :P

DIEHARD the King fan

Apr 6, 2008
blueline to slot
Have you had Lost Coast's 20th Anniversary Ale? I was pleasantly surprised by it.
No, but I will when I find it next.

Loved the experience of driving up hwy 1 from San Fran to Fort Bragg and then continue up the 101 to Eureka. What a trip!

One of my all time favorite driving roads.

Bev Mo is great, but if you want a phenomenal experience, you have to go to Hi-Time Wine Cellar in Costa Mesa. The walk in beer fridge is a must - just bring a jacket. lol

Can a bring a chair and a big screen too?

A great local place to wet your whistle is Rock & Brews on Main St. in El Segundo. :P

Lots of my hockey buddies live right there, I'll suggest it for after our game tonight.

KRAZGRL

Jan 10, 2011
Orange County, CA
www.flickr.com
I highly recommend this site for anyone doing any traveling (or not)... :)

http://beermapping.com/brewery-maps/us-brewery-map/

Next time you are down there, check out Lost Abbey as well

That's on my list! Along with Stone, Green Flash, AleSmith, Karl Strauss, Coronado, Gordon Biersch....

No, but I will when I find it next.

I had it on draft at Rock & Brews... Doubt they still have it. However I'm pretty sure it's still on at Naja's.

One of my all time favorite driving roads.

It would have been great on my bike. But... Sitting shotgun for those windy roads didn't help my road-sickness. I only get it when I'm not driving. Beautiful scenery though.

Can a bring a chair and a big screen too?

I'm sure they'd be happy to get a big screen in there.

Lots of my hockey buddies live right there, I'll suggest it for after our game tonight.

The bf also plays hockey at TSC (I'm assuming you do too...). When he doesn't have games at 11pm on Fri/Sat nights we like to go there after. It's a shame that all of his games are so effing late. We end up at the Kettle or Rocky Cola more times than at R&Bs. Now you're making me want to drive up today - I just got cleared to drive from my doctor. It's Deadlift IPA pint night. :)

Cutty Sarkn3ss*

LOL, I just realized that it's a bunch of different tastings & not all in 1 place . . I'm a idiot

KRAZGRL

Jan 10, 2011
Orange County, CA
www.flickr.com
Russian river also has Blind Pig, its the sister beer to pliny, its really good too

Blind Pig is good but to me, RR IPAs are as follows:

RR IPA < Blind Pig < Pliny the Elder < Pliny the Younger

Pliny the Younger at Russian River:

18761_300203144880_792009880_3128294_2074643_n.jpg

The line at 10:30am on a Friday to try to get it:

18761_300203119880_792009880_3128291_2200900_n.jpg

The line at 12:30pm after we left still waiting to get in:

18761_300203209880_792009880_3128300_7446015_n.jpg

Tried some new beers from the grocery store called Wingwalker the other day. One was a pilsner that tasted a but better than budweiser (wasn't impressed obviously) and I bought their Amber ale. The Amber ale was ok but I wasn't impressed with either. The price was $12 for a 12 pack on sale. And with me value always matters. I would have rather spent the money on Coors. Although, I was consuming these while watching the Kings lose so maybe I just had a bad taste in my mouth?

sharksohnoes!

whatisdeadmayneverdie
Mar 9, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Hooray for beer threads!!

Breweries Visited:
  • Speakeasy, San Francisco (only found where they manufacture the beer; no tasting room)
    l_928a1975b0b04e14a9572b8a1d356711.jpg

• Saw there was a beer thread, so I had to chime in. I live in SF. I think that Speakeasy makes the best damn IPA there is. There double IPA, Double Daddy, is amazing and will knock you on your ass after one pint. It is true that there is no tasting room, but every friday they open up the brewery to the public and have an end of the week party. Cheap beer, cheap tacos and live music. It is awesome. One of San Francisco's best kept secrets. All the guys that work there are great and are willing to talk to you about anything you want to know about the brewing process. If you find yourself back in SF on a friday night, I HIGHLY suggest going there :yo:

Captain Mittens*

Saw there was a beer thread, so I had to chime in. I live in SF. I think that Speakeasy makes the best damn IPA there is. There double IPA, Double Daddy, is amazing and will knock you on your ass after one pint. It is true that there is no tasting room, but every friday they open up the brewery to the public and have an end of the week party. Cheap beer, cheap tacos and live music. It is awesome. One of San Francisco's best kept secrets. All the guys that work there are great and are willing to talk to you about anything you want to know about the brewing process. If you find yourself back in SF on a friday night, I HIGHLY suggest going there :yo:

Try this
Kern+River+Just+Outstanding+IPA.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad