Beer League Team Fees for Manager

bfw

Nov 19, 2014
I've seen lots of discussion on here regarding whether a goalie should pay for team fees. Whats the general consensus in regards to the GM's fees. Do all you team managers pay full player fees?
I have been running teams for the last 10 seasons. We started with one team and have continued to grow to now having 3 teams in our club at different levels in the league. I currently pay full fees on all three teams for my roster spot on each. Some players have said to me before that I should be compensated in some way but I haven't felt comfortable not paying.
I do spend quite a lot of my personal time managing the teams and always ensure we have full lines, spare jerseys and beers for all three teams even if they are playing on the same night. I also set up and run practices for the teams.
I guess I'm curious what other GM's do, and validation that it wouldn't be the worst to add an extra $20 on every players fees to cut my costs a bit.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I think it depends on what you do in that role (it varies from league to league and region to region).

In my experience (Denver area) I've never seen the team captain have a fee offset, although some leagues do say that "if N players pay, then the N+1st player is free" which I've seen applied either to the captain or to the goaltender.

I've also seen often the case where the captain is one of the weaker players, and being the captain allows the player to skate at that higher level in a fun environment.

Reactions: DaveG and bfw

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Every team I've ever played for the manager paid in full. Now, since you're running three teams, if the other players think it's right that you get at least a bit of a discount, then fine. I think what matters is being transparent to everyone involved that you are benefiting in some way.

In addition, I think that if you do take the benefit, that anyone on the team is free to take a look at the team finance records, so that they can feel comfortable that their money is going to where it should be going.

Reactions: bfw

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
always ensure we have full lines, spare jerseys and beers for the teams

I set up and run practices for the teams.

Got any open spots? :laugh:

My captains never did this kind of stuff. So you're renting out rink time for practice out of pocket? And paying for beers and what not, sounds like your fee should perhaps be waived.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I've seen lots of discussion on here regarding whether a goalie should pay for team fees. Whats the general consensus in regards to the GM's fees. Do all you team managers pay full player fees?
I have been running teams for the last 10 seasons. We started with one team and have continued to grow to now having 3 teams in our club at different levels in the league. I currently pay full fees on all three teams for my roster spot on each. Some players have said to me before that I should be compensated in some way but I haven't felt comfortable not paying.

So, my team managers have always paid full fees.

But, it sounds like you're doing a lot more. You're managing three teams - but you have a roster spot on each team? That sounds like a lot of hockey (which isn't a bad thing). You're also managing practices, which is not something I've seen a team manager do.

I'm not going to say you are or aren't entitled to something. But what I do know is that if you just announce "next year your fees are going up $20 so I don't have to pay" it's not going to go over well. Talk about it with your players - that you're putting in a lot of work. Maybe see if someone can ease the load by helping you out - or that when you hear crickets in response they might be more willing to give you a break on fees.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
in our league (Atlanta Amateur Hockey League) team captains (essentially team managers) get their league fees back at the end of the season as long as they do what's required of them during the season. occasionally captains will have fines deducted from their rebate for things such as drinking in the locker room (a real no-no in ATL) or using a non-rostered player for a game (this also carries a 5 game suspension).

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Commenting on beer alone, its tradition here to just roll through the numbers and everyone ends up bringing it twice a year. Oh and dont be that guy that gets light beer or some weird off brand. If you forget the ice GTFO

Reactions: DaveG

bfw

Nov 19, 2014
Got any open spots? :laugh:

My captains never did this kind of stuff. So you're renting out rink time for practice out of pocket? And paying for beers and what not, sounds like your fee should perhaps be waived.
I do it out of pocket initially but usually cover it afterwards by charging whoever attends 10 or 20 bucks for the practice.

bfw

Nov 19, 2014
So, my team managers have always paid full fees.

But, it sounds like you're doing a lot more. You're managing three teams - but you have a roster spot on each team? That sounds like a lot of hockey (which isn't a bad thing). You're also managing practices, which is not something I've seen a team manager do.

I'm not going to say you are or aren't entitled to something. But what I do know is that if you just announce "next year your fees are going up $20 so I don't have to pay" it's not going to go over well. Talk about it with your players - that you're putting in a lot of work. Maybe see if someone can ease the load by helping you out - or that when you hear crickets in response they might be more willing to give you a break on fees.

Yeah I have always paid my full fees as well. I certainly wouldn't just overcharge everyone so I don't have to pay as I've always been transparent in running things. I guess I was looking more for what the norm was out there and if what I was doing was even deserving of asking my team to pay extra for me. It has actually been players on my team that brought it up to me that I shouldn't be paying, I had not even had a second thought of not paying my fees. I figured I love playing hockey so I will pay to play as much as possible haha.

Thanks for the great reply Yukon Joe

bfw

Nov 19, 2014
What initially made me think to post here was from reading the hotly debated discussions about whether goalies should be paying team fees. With a goalie being needed for every game makes them way more important than a regular player, it just made me think of how regardless if I am even able to make a game I still am fully involved that day coordinating subs, spare jerseys, waiver signings, and most importantly ensuring beers are going to make it to the rink haha. No days off for any GM that's actually doing a good job.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
D7tbViEUwAA5FbZ.jpg

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
This discussion reminded me of the comic above. One thing I've noticed about goaltenders here in Denver metro is that there are a lot more of them these days, and as a result, I get fewer offers to "play for free". Of course, we (and managers) don't "play for free" - especially in the summer, I think about it a lot when others are off doing long hikes, or drinking at barbecues, and I have to say "no, I need to take it easy today because I have a game tonight".

And that's once you show up (and it assumes that you show up) - I remember playing for a "B" team here that went 33-9 in two seasons with two league titles, and then they asked me to pay, and I was in grad school so couldn't really foot that bill (I mean, I could have, but life's about choices). The next season, the team went 4-17 and the goaltender skipped three games without advance notice. I was back the next year (for "free").

Most of the offers I get to play "for free" these days are for weaker teams in a division, which I also kind of like - I hate playing beer league for strong teams because (1) I don't want to spend my evenings/weekends just standing around, and (2) it's hard to make a positive difference as a goaltender on a strong team.

I imagine it's similar with managers - if a team has someone willing to do it and still pay, then it's harder to get that deal.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Commenting on beer alone, its tradition here to just roll through the numbers and everyone ends up bringing it twice a year. Oh and dont be that guy that gets light beer or some weird off brand. If you forget the ice GTFO
I don't drink the beer. I leave when the game is over because i'm a sweaty mess. Not bringing the f***ing beer. The guys who hang around for 2 hours after the game getting drunk can bring their beer.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
I don't drink the beer. I leave when the game is over because i'm a sweaty mess. Not bringing the ****ing beer. The guys who hang around for 2 hours after the game getting drunk can bring their beer.
Its called beer league for a reason. EVERYONE brings it. Drinking it or not is your choice, but its part of the team rituals. You do you, but some of us like getting out of the house once a week and hanging with the boys. Alot of us are close friends who hang out, visit cottages, attend funerals of relatives, share childrens birthday parties etc...its a shame you miss all that over a shower.

Just different cultures i guess

Reactions: knifer

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Its called beer league for a reason. EVERYONE brings it. Drinking it or not is your choice, but its part of the team rituals. You do you, but some of us like getting out of the house once a week and hanging with the boys. Alot of us are close friends who hang out, visit cottages, attend funerals of relatives, share childrens birthday parties etc...its a shame you miss all that over a shower.

Just different cultures i guess
Yes. Different cultures I guess. Only about 25% of the team partake in drinking and driving after the game.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I don't drink the beer. I leave when the game is over because i'm a sweaty mess. Not bringing the ****ing beer. The guys who hang around for 2 hours after the game getting drunk can bring their beer.

This is getting off topic, but who the hell sits around for 2 hours after a game?

We always have someone who brings beer, but it's one beer a guy. Maybe one or two have a second. You have to be out of the dressing room after 30 minutes - hardly enough time to get shit-faced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HansonBro

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes. Different cultures I guess. Only about 25% of the team partake in drinking and driving after the game.

What percentage of your team takes a shower??

1-2 beers isnt gonna hurt anybody and isn't even illegal.

You really are missing out on the cold beer in a warm shower after skating, really.

Different culture, I guess. :thumbu:

Reactions: HansonBro

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

I hear you!

"I bought the Bud lite lime because it was on sale...." or "I thought a 12 pack would be enough..."

We have a couple guys that bring back up in case this happens. But we only share with each other. Most guys are pretty fair about it these days.

And people need to relax here, no one's advocating having a snoot full and then driving. Not at all.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
This is getting off topic, but who the hell sits around for 2 hours after a game?

We always have someone who brings beer, but it's one beer a guy. Maybe one or two have a second. You have to be out of the dressing room after 30 minutes - hardly enough time to get ****-faced.

on Friday nights we used to have guys stay until the sun came up. :laugh:
in ATL you're not allowed to drink in the locker room. no idea why, that's just how it's always been so we drink in the parking lot. sometimes we grill out brats and dogs, sometimes we order pizza. it was never "allowed" by the league (league is independent, not run by the rink) but the rink always looked the other way as long as we cleaned up after ourselves. occasionally the cops would come by but they never hassled us.
a few years ago one of the rinks we play at finally built a bar so that nixed drinking in their parking lot because it would jeopardize their liquor license.

Reactions: thebus88

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
on Friday nights we used to have guys stay until the sun came up. :laugh:
in ATL you're not allowed to drink in the locker room. no idea why, that's just how it's always been so we drink in the parking lot. sometimes we grill out brats and dogs, sometimes we order pizza. it was never "allowed" by the league (league is independent, not run by the rink) but the rink always looked the other way as long as we cleaned up after ourselves. occasionally the cops would come by but they never hassled us.
a few years ago one of the rinks we play at finally built a bar so that nixed drinking in their parking lot because it would jeopardize their liquor license.

I like it - tailgating culture meets beer league hockey!

Of course in Canada we have much stricter liquor laws, and that kind of informal tailgating is not allowed. Plus you REALLY don't want to be standing around in a rink parking lot during hockey season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you're the team manager and you play on the team, you should not be exempt from paying league fees. In regards to a goalie, if it's your goalie and that player is apart of the team, not just a one-off, or a sub, the goalie should also toss in for league fees. We typically have our goalies pay, but never with subs, or goalies we've asked to fill in for a season when our regular goalie needed off.

Our team gets a discount if we fork the bill in one lump payment, and while managing the group can be a pain in the ass when it comes to figuring out who is showing and what the line-up is looking like, I think as long as you're apart of the team and not a fill-in, temp player for the season, you should be paying.

Nothing irritates me more than a goalie who expects to play for free and doesn't offer to at least chip in some money towards the league fee, especially when that goalie becomes you're regular goalie.

Last edited:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Nothing irritates me more than a goalie who expects to play for free and doesn't offer to at least chip in some money towards the league fee, especially when that goalie becomes you're regular goalie.

I have no problem with my goalie not paying for league fees. Their gear costs several times what mine does, and if we don't have a goalie, then we can't play a game.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I have no problem with my goalie not paying for league fees. Their gear costs several times what mine does, and if we don't have a goalie, then we can't play a game.
That's fair. Although, I'd argue the amount of sticks I've broken compared to my goalie has offset any gear costing several times more for the goalies we've had, especially when factoring difference in skate prices. The goalies we get are generally playing because they want to play, not because they're on-call waiting for teams that need them, so I don't fee bad about them paying. Any fill-in, or temp goalie I would never ask to pay league fees.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
That's fair. Although, I'd argue the amount of sticks I've broken compared to my goalie has offset any gear costing several times more for the goalies we've had, especially when factoring difference in skate prices.

What sort of trick are your goalies using such that they don't break sticks?

And what sort of skates are you buying that cost an order of magnitude more than goalie skates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->