Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Question for everyone here...

If you're playing a team who clearly has one or two players that are too good to be there, but they're "respectful" (ie: minimal chirping, a few points) and you're down by 4 or more goals, would you be happy if...
a) they let up and played poorly the rest of the night (ie: let you walk around them)
or
b) they continue to play hard, but not score the rest of the night?

For me it actually feel like its further disrespect to a team if they just stop playing the way they did. It feels like they're mocking your team. What are your thoughts? (note: I usually find this is when their teammates start chirping you and giving your team sarcastic cheers)

Been on both ends in the last week.

I'm the top skater/center on one team I play for team. I finish top 5 in the league scoring every season, but our team regularly finishes right around .500.

Last week, we were stomping a team that was just moved up from a lower division. They really don't belong in our league. We got up 5-0 after 2 periods. I had 2 goals to that point.

For the 3rd period I removed myself from the center position (and our other center and 2nd leading goal scorer) back to defense and moved our two worst defensemen (a guy and a girl who rarely get a chance to skate as forwards) up to centers.

Once back on defense, I didn't let up and I continued to skate hard for every loose puck, but I didn't keep trying to score on every shift. If I got the puck, my first look was to pass it to someone who rarely gets the puck and scores, rather than try to skate through 3 defenders (like I might do if we were down by a goal in the 3rd). I didn't jump up into odd-man rushes. I didn't pinch in the O-Zone. I hung back and played defensive D. I also kept my shifts short and made sure that others got more ice time. If there was a whistle 30 seconds after I stepped on the ice, I changed even if I had some energy left.

As a goalie, got blown out by another team. Score was 14-5 after two periods. They kept skating and trying to score on me. I didn't mind. As long as they weren't taking cheap shots at our guys or hacking at me after the whistle, I was fine with them continuing to score. Gave me chances to make some better saves and redeem myself a bit.

Generally speaking, I don't want to mock people, and when I'm on the losing end of a lopsided score, I don't want to be mocked. Getting secondary players more ice time or controlling the puck more? I'm all for that. In fact I think that's the best. I'm fine if good players keep trying to score in lopsided, but they better not be going all out taking runs, dishing cheap shots, complaining to refs over ticky tack calls, or showing up other players (between the legs, puck juggling, etc.).

Last edited:

Gentle Ben Ken0bi

Sep 8, 2005
Had someone last night double overhand chop to my stick. I use a composite stick and he uses a wooden stick. I returned the favor shortly after and knocked his stick out of his hand. On the bench he was saying that his was a "hockey play" and mine was a penalty. I told him I do not care, i just do not want him to break my stick over a "hockey play". This is just pick up hockey for over 40 year olds. People take hockey to serious, just play and have fun no reason to break people sticks.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
Had someone last night double overhand chop to my stick. I use a composite stick and he uses a wooden stick. I returned the favor shortly after and knocked his stick out of his hand. On the bench he was saying that his was a "hockey play" and mine was a penalty. I told him I do not care, i just do not want him to break my stick over a "hockey play". This is just pick up hockey for over 40 year olds. People take hockey to serious, just play and have fun no reason to break people sticks.

I've never understood people who slash and chop sticks a lot. I understand picking up the stick, but blatantly chopping and slashing is just in poor taste. Sticks aren't cheap these days, and guys like that need to learn to play the game better than resorting to that kind of play.

Gentle Ben Ken0bi

Sep 8, 2005
He is "that" guy that is on every team. I like the guy personally but he is the first to check you or chop your stick. I is a bit round and not very mobile so not much of a factor out there. He is the one of the few players that I am faster than. I just avoid him as I do not want to get into any battles out there, I just want to have fun.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
We're in a bit of a spot where we have a pretty good team, but there are one or two guys that are just dragging everyone down. I think its a bit of a dick move to make cuts in a beer league...but I think it needs to be done.

Any advice from people that have done this? I think it might just be best to send him a cordial email and try and get him a spot in a lower division.

just be completely honest with them and refund their money. we have had to do it 3xs in 7 years. get everyone to pitch $30 or what ever you need to to buy them out. you have to remember you have 12-14 guys who want to be there and belong, you dont want to lose any of them because of some clown that got brought out. we always make the guy who invited them out do the cutting.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I agree with the first part, hopefully they're trying to improve and skilled players could help them with it.

The second part I don't agree with, because it's always going to matter to someone. You can look at any sport/hobby as "winning doesn't really matter" from childhood right up to before you're getting paid to do it. Most do get a nice feeling from winning, even during recreation. They don't lose sleep over losing, but it's a fast-paced, competitive game and I think it'd be strange to be ambivalent towards the outcome.

Some also are going to treat every game like the Stanley Cup, and others (I guess like you?) won't really care about the outcome at all. I don't think anyone is wrong in how they set their priorities for their fun stuff during spare time!

all i can say to this is there are guys who are competitive and work hard to compete every game. when you have 1 or 2 guys that create a situation where a regular player has to cover for the weaker players inefficency then you are taking the fun out of it. our team rule is if you bring them aka they are your buddy you have to play with them if they blow. and if you dont want to then you have to cut them.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
Yeah, I think I'm going to have a talk with the team and see what they want to do. I could care less how often we lose, as long as everyone is working hard on the ice. ****** situation since it's beer league.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
First time I have ever seen it as a ref. Last night a team was 3-1, then the other team scored to make it 4-1. The next two times the team walked in, he just stood there and let them shoot it past him.

Div 2 Men's league (Meaning some former junior guys and the odd guy that has played College fairly recently.)

Not frustration(because as a ref, I don't care), but weird....

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
Yeah, I think I'm going to have a talk with the team and see what they want to do. I could care less how often we lose, as long as everyone is working hard on the ice. ****** situation since it's beer league.

I am on a team that has some guys holding us back. I could argue that I am one of them, from a skill standpoint. From every other standpoint, I am not. I work my tail off, I DO want to win, and I try to make the most of what I can do. If a guy shows up and makes no effort at all and is holding you back, yeah, I would talk to them about changing teams or leaving. Maybe they just need some help and a talk would help understand the situation better.

We had some guys leave our team last year and we should have kicked them out sooner.. and these were some better players. The thing is though, they could have cared less whether they won or lost and were therefore useless to us, regardless of skill. None of us think we are anything more than a bottom of D league type of team, but we all want to win our games. For what we pay, playing one hour of hard hockey should not be too much to ask once a week. If you do not want to win games, than make sure you are on a team that has that attitude and you will be fine, but otherwise, you should give your best or go somewhere else.

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
Not in a real league, but I have people like that in my clinics that have low skill (which I do myself) but don't put in effort at all to get around that. It gets me super mad all the time and I try to avoid them on shifts because I really don't like when somebody just coasts around, flails at the puck meekly and then coasts some more. I do suck myself at parts of the game, but I always skate hard and work to balance that out. Also totally hate the damn cherry pickers never going below defensive blue line and always sit there waiting for the 'breakaway' by being 15' behind the attackers on defense. Really annoying.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I am on a team that has some guys holding us back. I could argue that I am one of them, from a skill standpoint. From every other standpoint, I am not. I work my tail off, I DO want to win, and I try to make the most of what I can do. If a guy shows up and makes no effort at all and is holding you back, yeah, I would talk to them about changing teams or leaving. Maybe they just need some help and a talk would help understand the situation better.

We had some guys leave our team last year and we should have kicked them out sooner.. and these were some better players. The thing is though, they could have cared less whether they won or lost and were therefore useless to us, regardless of skill. None of us think we are anything more than a bottom of D league type of team, but we all want to win our games. For what we pay, playing one hour of hard hockey should not be too much to ask once a week. If you do not want to win games, than make sure you are on a team that has that attitude and you will be fine, but otherwise, you should give your best or go somewhere else.

To me, its all about the experience. I could care less if I win or lose. Does it feel good to win, of course, but its not the end of the world. I find, that people who take winning too seriously, are the worst players to play with and for. I have had guys jump ship to our team because we were having fun. The constant whining and complaining from their former teammates made them regret playing for them, which led to them not wanting to come. I'm not saying you're like this.

Our team, like to have fun. We skate hard, we crack jokes, and enjoy talking about schemes, plays, and other little parts of hockey. Guys are more loose when they don't have the pressure that they HAVE TO win. It makes it easier to get over goals that may go against you. When guys are playing to have fun, it makes coming to the rink that much easier.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, but I don't think that should be your main goal in BEER LEAGUES. The way I see it, if you're not being paid to win, then that should be your least motivation. If you're paying to win only, you lose out. Paying money to win is not a guarantee, but paying money to have fun, that can be a guarantee if you want it to be...

mistrhanky

Mar 19, 2012
To me, its all about the experience. I could care less if I win or lose. Does it feel good to win, of course, but its not the end of the world. I find, that people who take winning too seriously, are the worst players to play with and for. I have had guys jump ship to our team because we were having fun. The constant whining and complaining from their former teammates made them regret playing for them, which led to them not wanting to come. I'm not saying you're like this.

Our team, like to have fun. We skate hard, we crack jokes, and enjoy talking about schemes, plays, and other little parts of hockey. Guys are more loose when they don't have the pressure that they HAVE TO win. It makes it easier to get over goals that may go against you. When guys are playing to have fun, it makes coming to the rink that much easier.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, but I don't think that should be your main goal in BEER LEAGUES. The way I see it, if you're not being paid to win, then that should be your least motivation. If you're paying to win only, you lose out. Paying money to win is not a guarantee, but paying money to have fun, that can be a guarantee if you want it to be...

There is definitely a line, no doubt. I always find winning to be more fun than losing though:) My team has a pretty good locker room because we all are pretty much on the same page now. Truth is, for us, I don't think we need to win every game as long as we are competitive in them, which we are not. We are in a league where our team is overmatched by bad league management. Losing 3-4 would not bother us so much, but losing 8-1 every week does.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
To me, its all about the experience. I could care less if I win or lose. Does it feel good to win, of course, but its not the end of the world. I find, that people who take winning too seriously, are the worst players to play with and for. I have had guys jump ship to our team because we were having fun.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to win, but I don't think that should be your main goal in BEER LEAGUES.

I agree. I've played on that "bad" team - we lost every game for 2 straight seasons, in a developmental league that was supposedly evenly-distributed teams. But we had more fun than the other two teams who kicked our butts on a weekly basis, because everyone liked one another and we did lots of joking around and having fun. There was always beer after the game (not so for the other two teams) and people became friends on facebook and spent enough time joking around that it just got to be more fun despite the losses. Our team was the one that always organized the BBQ after the round-robin tournament the last week of class/league. We never made the championship game, but we always looked at it as we got first dibs on the goodies since everyone else was stuck on the ice for that final game!

I remember one of our last round robins when our leading scorer was out and we were trying to figure out how to deal with it. After about 3 minutes of discussion, someone finally said "why bother? There's no way we're going to win this thing, no matter who we put out on the ice, so let's just go out there and have fun playing. And then we can have beer afterwards." And that was the end of that. Sure enough, we didn't win any of our games - but nobody really cared.

But that's a developmental league and I'm sure that attitude isn't so common in beer leagues where people want to at least be a little competitive.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I have made a decision to quit my team next fall season and I just hope I stick by it.

I played 2 seasons with a group that saw a full handful of guys leave and new ones join up this year. There were annoying things about the 1st team but it has gotten intolerable.

The main thing is racist, bigoted attitudes. Little comments here and there, jokes about other races that is so red-neck and ignorant. I wanted so bad at times to walk out while getting dressed and never return. I held my tongue because I had committed to the team. Also my good friend who invited me is not like that; we drove together and pretty much have our own experience of the league.

Secondly there is too much goonery. Every game has to be fights, near fights, or checking penalties. It badly disrupts the flow of the game. These are guys who played in high school and now adult rec is a forum to remove their cage, drink beer, and cause mayhem. The games are so short I'm there to skate and play as a team, not get into **** so we can boast and yell about it in the lockeroom after.

I'm all for a cold one after the game but most these guys drink at least 2 or 3 before the game and have to bring some for the bench. It's one thing to screw up our team's game, but it's another to sit around *****ing about how and why we don't win!
We're half drunk!

Overall the whole thing is so juvenile. I am some years older than most these guys and that is probably a factor as to why I can't relate. Next season I think I will be looking for a team with players my own age.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I have made a decision to quit my team next fall season and I just hope I stick by it.

I played 2 seasons with a group that saw a full handful of guys leave and new ones join up this year. There were annoying things about the 1st team but it has gotten intolerable.

The main thing is racist, bigoted attitudes. Little comments here and there, jokes about other races that is so red-neck and ignorant. I wanted so bad at times to walk out while getting dressed and never return. I held my tongue because I had committed to the team. Also my good friend who invited me is not like that; we drove together and pretty much have our own experience of the league.

Secondly there is too much goonery. Every game has to be fights, near fights, or checking penalties. It badly disrupts the flow of the game. These are guys who played in high school and now adult rec is a forum to remove their cage, drink beer, and cause mayhem. The games are so short I'm there to skate and play as a team, not get into **** so we can boast and yell about it in the lockeroom after.

I'm all for a cold one after the game but most these guys drink at least 2 or 3 before the game and have to bring some for the bench. It's one thing to screw up our team's game, but it's another to sit around *****ing about how and why we don't win!
We're half drunk!

Overall the whole thing is so juvenile. I am some years older than most these guys and that is probably a factor as to why I can't relate. Next season I think I will be looking for a team with players my own age.

Man, I know how you feel. I played on a team for a season with a guy that would just scream that someone was a "f@$%ot" from the bench when an opponent would skate by. He did this at least once per game, a grown ass man, who worked as a lawyer. Maturity level in adults can be a weird thing.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Don't drink my water! Bring your own damn water bottle! Just a slight annoyance.

We have fresh water bottles that are brought for the team every game. To help keep them available for others, I bring my own for myself. This one dude always grabs mine instead of the other ones brought for anybody to have. I don't know why that is.

Last edited:

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Don't drink my water! Bring your own damn water bottle! Just a slight annoyance.

LIttle kids at stick time are the worst! they will just grab whatever bottle is there, by the end of the hour they've probably used almost every single bottle.

My husband labeled our bottles. On his he put "MINE" and on mine he put "YOURS." So we were playing a couple of weeks ago and the ref came over wanting some water. Of course he just happened to pick up my bottle and saw that it said "YOURS" and said 'well, I guess I'm good to drink from this then!'

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
LIttle kids at stick time are the worst! they will just grab whatever bottle is there, by the end of the hour they've probably used almost every single bottle.

My husband labeled our bottles. On his he put "MINE" and on mine he put "YOURS." So we were playing a couple of weeks ago and the ref came over wanting some water. Of course he just happened to pick up my bottle and saw that it said "YOURS" and said 'well, I guess I'm good to drink from this then!'

Ha, I can see people misunderstanding that one by assuming the "MINE" is completely off limits.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

We're half drunk!

One of the things I've learned in 20 years of rec league hockey is there are a lot of functioning alcoholics out there. If you can't play hockey without beer before or after a game EVERY game you might have a problem with alcohol.

Jeff Shafer

Established: 1987
One of the things I've learned in 20 years of rec league hockey is there are a lot of functioning alcoholics out there. If you can't play hockey without beer before or after a game EVERY game you might have a problem with alcohol.

We had a guy last season who led the league in scoring 24 goals in 12 games and would drink 3 before and 3 after, he functioned and without him we wouldn't have won.

Now, the team is completely different, and I wish I had him back as a line-mate lol

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
So here's a question:

In the league I'm in, there are 2 ways to join.... form a team and signup that team as a group (Pay the lump sum or in installments and the "captain" will collect from the guys himself) or as an individual (pay just your fee and be placed on an IS team which means Individual Signup). There are several different levels to choose from, however the IS teams are only for the lowest level (presumably because most guys that are good can always find a team). Now I'm playing in the summer on an IS team because I'm just using it as a filler to keep skating before finding a team for the winter... I'm much better than almost every player in this level so I really don't try at all other than going on a few rushes. We got this new guy though after the 1st week who is on a whole other level.... played in Uni I think and is far better than even me. Last game he lit up the other team scoring 5 times (myself scoring the other goal) for a blow out win. Near the end a guy got pissed that this guy was having his way with them and intentionally tripped him pretty blatantly after getting deked around and then skated right over him as he was getting up.

I get the guys frustrations because he signs up in the level he should be in only to have to play against a guy like that. But at the same time, this guy is new to the area and obviously signed up late so he went on an IS team by himself and was placed in the only level he could. So who exactly is in the wrong there? This guy isn't a guy that purposely signed up below his level to light teams up... tbh he could do that at any level really. Did this guy have a right to be upset then at this guy or should he be mad at the rink?

vinc90

May 8, 2013
ive only played one season of beer league. im a beginner and played in the E league (worst) and the one thing i noticed with my team was that whenever we got scored on or there was a bad play everyone was trying to find someone besides themselves to blame. whether the goalie let in a bad goal or a forward didnt pick up the right guy, there was always cursing and blaming each other.

I got yelled at one time for not hustling enough. i have jaw problems sometimes and during my shift it felt like my jaw just dislocated. so i slow up a little bit a grab my mouth to try to fix it or something. i changed as soon as i could and everyone on the team started yelling at me to quit slacking and being lazy. I did not stay with the team after the season and have not joined another team after that. i can understand not wanting to lose but the constant blaming and yelling was not fun for me. i want to play again but ive hesitated bc it seems like a lot of teams in the league act this way.

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012

We're half drunk!

Either be an adult and talk to them about it directly or find another team. It's that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad