Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
3 games into summer, we've been up 3-0 in all and then we just fall apart (have lost all). Not up 3-0 for no reason either, we just seem to sit back and give it to them.

But yesterday,

A guy around 6'4" dumps it into my corner (I'm a dman), and he's coming pretty hard. I've got support from my C, and as we're battling for the puck, my C probably whacks him a few times in the skate - it happens in a scrum. I come out with the puck and start skating over my blueline as I see the same guy coming from the corner of my eye. I dish the puck up to my forward, and this guy comes in late and just blindsides me and completely takes me out presumably cause he though I slashed him.

I'm 5'7" so this guy obviously rocked me because I was blindsided, but these players make the game no fun. It's not even hockey anymore. This guy had 4-5 years on me too.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You know, the first 2-3 games of the season I was getting cheap shotted quite a bit, but the last several games including teams we played earlier, the play mellowed out a lot and is now enjoyable. Hopefully you have a similar experience.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Tonight should be annoying. I sub for my brothers team, which is 2 divisions lower than I usually play in. My division is the high end of intermediate, right below the advanced divisions, and he's in the lowest intermediate division. I don't go out there as a ringer, though it's clear that my skating is a few steps above almost every one else in the division...I just go out and try to set up a few plays and play solid defensively (also helps that my skating is my best quality, while my offensive ability is average for my division). I've got 5 points in 4 games.

But tonight we're playing a bunch of high school d-bags that joined a division clearly below where they should be. A whole team of 17-18 year olds that joined the division to go globe trotters on everyone. They're first in the division and averaging over 9 goals a game, while the 2nd best offensive team is averaging just barely above 6 goals. Their goal differential is something like +40 in 8 games.

I'm fully expecting them to take advantage of the weaker players on my team, and get pissed off when I steal the puck away a few times. I'm just hoping these aren't typical loud mouth high schoolers. Because, as a 27 year old, I don't wanna have to put a kid back in line.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Tonight should be annoying. I sub for my brothers team, which is 2 divisions lower than I usually play in. My division is the high end of intermediate, right below the advanced divisions, and he's in the lowest intermediate division. I don't go out there as a ringer, though it's clear that my skating is a few steps above almost every one else in the division...I just go out and try to set up a few plays and play solid defensively (also helps that my skating is my best quality, while my offensive ability is average for my division). I've got 5 points in 4 games.

But tonight we're playing a bunch of high school d-bags that joined a division clearly below where they should be. A whole team of 17-18 year olds that joined the division to go globe trotters on everyone. They're first in the division and averaging over 9 goals a game, while the 2nd best offensive team is averaging just barely above 6 goals. Their goal differential is something like +40 in 8 games.

I'm fully expecting them to take advantage of the weaker players on my team, and get pissed off when I steal the puck away a few times. I'm just hoping these aren't typical loud mouth high schoolers. Because, as a 27 year old, I don't wanna have to put a kid back in line.

I hate those teams/players, and I'd find it completely acceptable for someone like you to actually play versus guys like that. The worst part about the young ones are usually that their parents/friends all come down to watch and act like imbeciles.

rinkrat22

Jul 27, 2007
Chicago

I hate those teams/players, and I'd find it completely acceptable for someone like you to actually play versus guys like that. The worst part about the young ones are usually that their parents/friends all come down to watch and act like imbeciles.

that's because teams like this are usually filled with HS 3rd/4th lines and or/JV players. kids that aren't even has been's, more like never were's.

Green Blob*

I just posted this is another thread but its one of my biggest peeves...

Centers who go forward on the draw 99% of the time, in any zone! Win the ****ing puck back to your defense, going forward very rarely ever works and the other team knows you do it all the time.

Ugh nothing pisses me off more then this and it feels like most of the centers do this who I play with.

HamDangled

May 21, 2013
Hespeler
My first year playing hockey we had high school intramurals (really it was just pickup). One game we only had 1 tender so we put a goalie board in the other net. A guy on the other team winds up and takes a boomer from the point that missed my head by less than a foot. WHY do you need to take a slapshot on a goalie board? Ridiculous. Needless to say I was not impressed and things got pretty heated.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
We're in a bit of a spot where we have a pretty good team, but there are one or two guys that are just dragging everyone down. I think its a bit of a dick move to make cuts in a beer league...but I think it needs to be done.

Any advice from people that have done this? I think it might just be best to send him a cordial email and try and get him a spot in a lower division.

Nbr-17

Aug 15, 2006
Stouffville, ON
Any advice from people that have done this? I think it might just be best to send him a cordial email and try and get him a spot in a lower division.

IMHO definitely not an email.
Maybe talk to each in person before or after a game and see what they think.
They might see eye to eye with you.

boo10

Jan 19, 2013
We're in a bit of a spot where we have a pretty good team, but there are one or two guys that are just dragging everyone down. I think its a bit of a dick move to make cuts in a beer league...but I think it needs to be done.

How about just keeping them on the team and looking at it as a challenge to help them improve? After all it is just beer league. It's not like winning really matters.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
How about just keeping them on the team and looking at it as a challenge to help them improve? After all it is just beer league. It's not like winning really matters.
I agree with the first part, hopefully they're trying to improve and skilled players could help them with it.

The second part I don't agree with, because it's always going to matter to someone. You can look at any sport/hobby as "winning doesn't really matter" from childhood right up to before you're getting paid to do it. Most do get a nice feeling from winning, even during recreation. They don't lose sleep over losing, but it's a fast-paced, competitive game and I think it'd be strange to be ambivalent towards the outcome.

Some also are going to treat every game like the Stanley Cup, and others (I guess like you?) won't really care about the outcome at all. I don't think anyone is wrong in how they set their priorities for their fun stuff during spare time!

ShootsWide

Mar 23, 2013

You should really consider other options before pretty much kicking them off the team. This is my 1st season playing on a hockey team but I have played many seasons in co-ed softball. This one team I was playing on was started by a couple who I thought I had developed a good friendship with, we played 2 times a week together for 2 years. They started their own team and invited me to play with them. Our 1st season we won the championship. After that they moved us into a higher division and we got our butts handed to us every time. The problem was that our league had a upper division and a lower division. We were too good for the lower but way below the upper skill wise. After that horrible season the league still didnt want to move us down to lowers. They chose to find better players in order to compete and I ended up being kicked off.

I was very upset that they did this. Sure I didnt have a problem joining another team but I was no longer playing with the people I thought were good friends. I personally would never choose winning over playing with all my friends but some people would rather win.

I would say try to work with them and help them out. To them they might love the team and wouldnt want to join any other. It sucks to feel like the ones left out.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa

Yeah, its kind of a dick move. There is NO WAY in a team sport that 2 guys can bring a team down. I dont buy it.

Help them improve or simply deal with them. Surround them with better players to help offset their deficiencies, but I've played on quite a few teams and have never seen one or two people "bring a team down."

Scott Hall

The Bad Guy
Jul 11, 2008
Question for everyone here...

If you're playing a team who clearly has one or two players that are too good to be there, but they're "respectful" (ie: minimal chirping, a few points) and you're down by 4 or more goals, would you be happy if...
a) they let up and played poorly the rest of the night (ie: let you walk around them)
or
b) they continue to play hard, but not score the rest of the night?

For me it actually feel like its further disrespect to a team if they just stop playing the way they did. It feels like they're mocking your team. What are your thoughts? (note: I usually find this is when their teammates start chirping you and giving your team sarcastic cheers)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Typically it's better for them to keep playing. If they're regular members that improves the overall team to the point that they could be in a higher division, then mailing it in like that just keeps the score close enough to keep them in your division.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
You should really consider other options before pretty much kicking them off the team.

I was very upset that they did this. Sure I didnt have a problem joining another team but I was no longer playing with the people I thought were good friends. I personally would never choose winning over playing with all my friends but some people would rather win.

I would say try to work with them and help them out. To them they might love the team and wouldnt want to join any other. It sucks to feel like the ones left out.

I agree. I know that I'm one of the low-end players on my team but I like to think that I still contribute. I show up to every game. In addition to games, I go to stick time/instructional league 3 times per week - 4 times per week over the summer. I haven't been playing very long but I'm doing everything I can to get 'up to speed.' And while I may not be as fast or as nimble on the ice or have the mad stickhandling skills that the others do, I can certainly get the puck, fight for it on the boards and pass it on up to the other guys on my line who have some momentum and are moving up the ice. I'd hate to think that i might be kicked off for being not good enough. Heck, we play in the lowest league the rink offers, there's no lower league for me to get sent down to! I don't play on our PK or PP units and I'm totally fine with that, I want to do what's best for the team. I've been playing a little over a year now and I've improved immensely, but I will likely never improve enough to give the guys who have been playing for a while a real run for their money.

So long as there are no other issues - they aren't unreliable, they aren't causing conflicts in the locker room, they aren't taking stupid penalties and hurting your team that way - I would suggest just keeping them on the team and dealing with it as best you can. There's really no kind way to cut someone from a team, especially in a league where the worst that can happen is that you don't have bragging rights over winning the beer league trophy. It's just a rec league, and taking it seriously enough that you would cut people - who probably consider themselves to be friends with the others on the team - would be really hurtful to the ones who get cut.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
Yeah, its kind of a dick move. There is NO WAY in a team sport that 2 guys can bring a team down. I dont buy it.

Help them improve or simply deal with them. Surround them with better players to help offset their deficiencies, but I've played on quite a few teams and have never seen one or two people "bring a team down."

Nope, it pretty much can be one or two guys when we have two lines max. We actually have three guys that are of lesser skill, but one busts his ass and trys to get better...while the other two just glide and don't go after the puck. Kinda messes up our flow when we can't stick one on D. If the other two guys made an attempt to get better, or play more than once a week it would be a different story. They also barely hang out with the team after games as well, which makes the decision somewhat easier.

Last edited:

ShootsWide

Mar 23, 2013
Ok its 1 thing to say they arent good so you would consider cutting them. But if they are not trying to put in the effort to learn or even play hard during the game then I can understand wanting to cut them. I wouldnt blame you if that was the case. But before you go and cut them, how much longer till your season ends? Maybe they dont plan on returning next season and you can avoid looking like a dick.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
Nope, it pretty much can be one or two guys when we have two lines max. We actually have three guys that are of lesser skill, but one busts his ass and trys to get better...while the other two just glide and don't go after the puck. Kinda messes up our flow when we can't stick one on D. If the other two guys made an attempt to get better, or play more than once a week it would be a different story. They also barely hang out with the team after games as well, which makes the decision somewhat easier.

Thats an entirely different scenario than you outlined above. Before it was just they "werent good enough" now its that they're not trying.

If they do not want to try then that is a different story and you can tell them that. If they're simply below the skill level of others, but still try their hardest, I've never seen two guys like that bring a team down.

However, I'd still consider talking to them and tell them that you see them not trying and not working hard to become better and that you want everyone on the team to do their best like the other guy. If they're willing to step it up and try, then you can give them the option to stay, if they arent, then you can tell them you'll let them go. At least now they know the rules and will know why they're getting cut.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Question for everyone here...

If you're playing a team who clearly has one or two players that are too good to be there, but they're "respectful" (ie: minimal chirping, a few points) and you're down by 4 or more goals, would you be happy if...
a) they let up and played poorly the rest of the night (ie: let you walk around them)
or
b) they continue to play hard, but not score the rest of the night?

For me it actually feel like its further disrespect to a team if they just stop playing the way they did. It feels like they're mocking your team. What are your thoughts? (note: I usually find this is when their teammates start chirping you and giving your team sarcastic cheers)

I would rather they let up. Not stop playing and clearly making a show of it but just to not dangle through everyone and maybe focus on setting up their weaker teammates. Kind of like when you play pickup with slower or younger players.

My team has scrimmaged against other teams that brought in a couple ringers, like varsity high school kids, and there's nothing to be gained trying to play against them. They just go coast to coast over and over. It's not teaching anything other than frustration.

Jul 31, 2005
CA

This is where the league needs to run itself. Having players drag down teams doesn't make sense for the team or those players since they will not improve hot potatoeing the puck any time it hits their stick. I would try to keep it positive, try to help them find a team where they can be important members of a team, be on the ice in critical situations and be counted on to produce every game. Most of us had to work very hard to get to the skill levels we're at and then some beginner is just placed on your team for no reason other than the league wants his league fees and you guys happen to have space? The leagues need to make these players earn their way up, when you dominate a division then you can move up. If you average 0 goals a game you don't move up and somebody needs to be watching you play to see if you need to move down. It's not rocket science, look at the standings, look at the stats and then drag your butt out to watch a game and see if you can help a guy improve by finding the right skill level for him.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
How'd it go?

We lost 9-3, they exploited the hell out of the guys on my team with give-and-go's. It's just a higher level of hockey than those guys know how to play, they kept getting caught watching the puck. I ended up with 2g 1a.

I don't know what happened first, my guys starting to get frustrated and play rougher, or those kids beginning to run their mouths, but it ended in several scrums/fights, and a few suspensions (I didn't get involved in that). Embarassing all around.

And the guy that quoted me above was spot on, bunch of parents were there.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
We lost 9-3, they exploited the hell out of the guys on my team with give-and-go's. It's just a higher level of hockey than those guys know how to play, they kept getting caught watching the puck. I ended up with 2g 1a.

I don't know what happened first, my guys starting to get frustrated and play rougher, or those kids beginning to run their mouths, but it ended in several scrums/fights, and a few suspensions (I didn't get involved in that). Embarassing all around.

And the guy that quoted me above was spot on, bunch of parents were there.
Did they start shouting and screaming after every bit of contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->