Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread III

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Went threw three years of junior with no cage on and never lost any chompers. Last year I was playing mens league and literally as I was scoring a goal right in front of the net, dude went to stick lift me and missed my stick and hit me directly in the teeth. Lost a few good soldiers that day. I was pretty steamed. All in all that was about 5 trips to the dentist and about 6 grand to get fixed. Luckily they were able to save the roots and I just had to get new crowns.

... I wear a bubble now. :)

In general, the less skilled/competitive the league, the more insane high sticking goes on. People in your junior program probably knew how to control their sticks much better. I have a guy on my team in beer league who insists on playing without a cage or visor. He got high sticked in the nose this past Sunday pretty hard.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
In general, the less skilled/competitive the league, the more insane high sticking goes on. People in your junior program probably knew how to control their sticks much better. I have a guy on my team in beer league who insists on playing without a cage or visor. He got high sticked in the nose this past Sunday pretty hard.

Very true. In higher leagues you have to worry about the puck more than anything. In lower leagues it's about dodging sticks, lol.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
Went threw three years of junior with no cage on and never lost any chompers. Last year I was playing mens league and literally as I was scoring a goal right in front of the net, dude went to stick lift me and missed my stick and hit me directly in the teeth. Lost a few good soldiers that day. I was pretty steamed. All in all that was about 5 trips to the dentist and about 6 grand to get fixed. Luckily they were able to save the roots and I just had to get new crowns.

... I wear a bubble now. :)

Little known fact. If you spit out an undamaged tooth, the best thing to do is to place it right back into the mouth as soon as you can. Had a tournament a couple weeks ago where a guy spit out a tooth, and our other teammate, who is a dentist, put it right back in for him. He said that often times the tooth will still need to be removed and replaced, but sometimes that won't be necessary and the tooth can be kept.

Just make sure if you're putting your tooth back in, that it is facing the right way!

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Little known fact. If you spit out an undamaged tooth, the best thing to do is to place it right back into the mouth as soon as you can. Had a tournament a couple weeks ago where a guy spit out a tooth, and our other teammate, who is a dentist, put it right back in for him. He said that often times the tooth will still need to be removed and replaced, but sometimes that won't be necessary and the tooth can be kept.

Just make sure if you're putting your tooth back in, that it is facing the right way!

My teeth were never completley out. I need to find the picture cause it's actually pretty interesting looking. Up near the gums on 3 of my teeth was like a straight horizonal line where the tooth was cracked like 90% of the way threw and all 3 teeth were like hanging on by a thread. I was scared that night that they were gonna fall out of my mouth as I was sleeping and I would choke on em. I called my dentist that night (it was mens league so there wasnt much he was gonna to at 1030pm) and he told me to leave them in my mouth instead of just trying to take them out myself.

Oh the joys of being a hockey player. :)

And lol just thinking about it, you know your a hockey player when you have your dentist's emergency number in your contact list. :laugh:

STC

Oct 29, 2012
And lol just thinking about it, you know your a hockey player when you have your dentist's emergency number in your contact list. :laugh:

I can one up you there. The dentist plays on my team. He gives everyone on the team 50% discount.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Not really a beer league. But I need to vent. Okay started playing with my buddy about 7 months ago. He is still a steaming pile of garbage. While according to the rest of the team. I have really improved. Don't get me wrong. I know my flaws but I don't give up on plays. (Oh this is roller hockey) ANYWAYS: my friend is my defensive partner. Aka a friggin traffic cone. Today during our game. He legit stood there where I'm trying to make a play. Bendy ankles and all. Ended up getting knocked off the puck. Went to tip it toward him and fell, dislocated my shoulder. Out the rest of the game. We got destroyed/mercy ruled 10-0.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Me at my friend's tonight:

"Man I can't wait to play hockey tonight, after the ass-whooping on Friday I NEED to play. It would absolutely kill me if the game got canceled, haha."

Ten minutes later, text from teammate:

"Game's called, other team forfeited."

latest

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Me at my friend's tonight:

"Man I can't wait to play hockey tonight, after the ass-whooping on Friday I NEED to play. It would absolutely kill me if the game got canceled, haha."

Ten minutes later, text from teammate:

"Game's called, other team forfeited."

latest

Hate that crap. ME tonight:

- receive email from rink director, asking us captains if we want to cancel tonight's game (snow) and each take 1pt. or come in and play. No reschedules (because last season my team was forced to reschedule, won, got screwed on playoffs, and had to play the finals 2 months into the following season!!)

- other team says they're fine taking the cancellation, I said we WILL show up.
- other team says they're in, I reach out to all my guys to confirm with them.
- as soon as I'm done, other team cancels anyway.

We have a real bad history w/this team, and I can't wait to play them again now after this :rant: :hit:

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
My team is absolutely horrible. We lose by at least 5 goals almost every game. Second team in a row I ended up on that's like this. I dont take beer league very seriously, but a whole season of losing horribly and playing horribly is starting to suck the enjoyment out of it for me. Also, only half of our team ever shows up to games anymore which obviously doesn't help. We're lucky if we can have 2 full lines. :shakehead

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Got one that happened recently,

More amusing than anything, some people don't know how to look a gift horse in the mouth,

We are up by 2, 4-5 min left, go on the powerplay, other team gets a rush takes an outside shot, and goalie grabs it, the other teams player comes in and sticks the goalie, not hard, but enough to get attention,

Ref brought the faceoff outside, opposing team asking him why, he tells them that it was because their player charged the net hard and sticked the goalie, they then claim he's making the rules up, and are chirping him to call it normally, he asks them if they are sure they want it that way, they keep chirping, he gives them another out, they keep chirping, so he agreed to call it normally, put the guy in the box for 5-3 for us and took the faceoff down to the other end, we scored 2 more pp goals for an easy win,

Boot

Oct 20, 2010
My team is absolutely horrible. We lose by at least 5 goals almost every game. Second team in a row I ended up on that's like this. I dont take beer league very seriously, but a whole season of losing horribly and playing horribly is starting to suck the enjoyment out of it for me. Also, only half of our team ever shows up to games anymore which obviously doesn't help. We're lucky if we can have 2 full lines. :shakehead

I can't imagine playing on a team with more than 2 full lines. The couple of teams we have around here that have more, you get hardly any ice time.

That sucks about the team though. Have you put feelers out to any other teams in your league?

sectachrome

Mar 12, 2010
Boulder, CO
I can't imagine playing on a team with more than 2 full lines. The couple of teams we have around here that have more, you get hardly any ice time.

That sucks about the team though. Have you put feelers out to any other teams in your league?

That's true, 2 lines is kind of perfect. Having less than that and playing a different position every shift kind of sucks though. We've had just 1 sub a couple times.

I don't really know how to put out feelers besides signing up as a free agent again next season. Maybe I should start handing out my resume to the other teams in the post game handshake line.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
Got one that happened recently,

More amusing than anything, some people don't know how to look a gift horse in the mouth,

We are up by 2, 4-5 min left, go on the powerplay, other team gets a rush takes an outside shot, and goalie grabs it, the other teams player comes in and sticks the goalie, not hard, but enough to get attention,

Ref brought the faceoff outside, opposing team asking him why, he tells them that it was because their player charged the net hard and sticked the goalie, they then claim he's making the rules up, and are chirping him to call it normally, he asks them if they are sure they want it that way, they keep chirping, he gives them another out, they keep chirping, so he agreed to call it normally, put the guy in the box for 5-3 for us and took the faceoff down to the other end, we scored 2 more pp goals for an easy win,

So the ref decided to make up a rule that that don't exist and basically decide the outcome of the game by punishing one team for getting upset about the ref making up a rule in a tight game? Sounds awesome :shakehead

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot

This is one of the frustrations with my team (and league, I guess). No team is allowed to play with fewer than 14 skaters, and the actual roster needs at least 16 on it, I believe. So, this basically means that if everyone on my team shows up (we have 17 skaters), we have 3 full lines, and 2 extra wings, and the way we handle line changes is basically you come off for the guy in front of you in your position. And this can totally suck for the obvious reasons. Not to sound like an ass, but I am probably the best wing on my team (whatever "good" means in novice league :laugh: ), but last game I had really low ice time because there were so many people in front of me some of whom are... not very strong skaters, and often get stuck out on the ice for long periods of time because they get hemmed into our zone, or fall down in the neutral zone and then have to stay out, etc.

So yeah. I agree that 2 lines would actually be kind of cool at first, but I'm afraid not everyone's level of fitness would allow the team to be very competitive for long :D

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
So the ref decided to make up a rule that that don't exist and basically decide the outcome of the game by punishing one team for getting upset about the ref making up a rule in a tight game? Sounds awesome :shakehead

I GUESS you could look at it that way....I was kind of looking at it like the ref didn't want to decide the outcome by putting them down by two men, decided to give them a a break with a liberal application of the "scrum after a whistle rule" while still "punishing" the team by taking the faceoff outside INSTEAD of putting them down by 2 men with 5 minutes left,

Let me ask you this, which outcome do you think would have "decided" the game more, putting them down by 2 men, or taking a faceoff outside?

I suppose you are another one that wouldn't be able to look a gift horse in the mouth,

I told my team after the game, that's the EXACT reason you don't ***** at a ref over things that don't matter....like the location off of a faceoff.

PIMking

Mar 4, 2008
Tampa, Florida
This is one of the frustrations with my team (and league, I guess). No team is allowed to play with fewer than 14 skaters, and the actual roster needs at least 16 on it, I believe. So, this basically means that if everyone on my team shows up (we have 17 skaters), we have 3 full lines, and 2 extra wings, and the way we handle line changes is basically you come off for the guy in front of you in your position. And this can totally suck for the obvious reasons. Not to sound like an ass, but I am probably the best wing on my team (whatever "good" means in novice league :laugh: ), but last game I had really low ice time because there were so many people in front of me some of whom are... not very strong skaters, and often get stuck out on the ice for long periods of time because they get hemmed into our zone, or fall down in the neutral zone and then have to stay out, etc.

So yeah. I agree that 2 lines would actually be kind of cool at first, but I'm afraid not everyone's level of fitness would allow the team to be very competitive for long :D
had that happen a couple years ago, one kid just kept jumping out when the other winger came, took 3 min shifts, the guy was the floater and wouldn't listen, so I just sat at the end of the bench didn't say a word and left the team after the game. it was just a crap situation and I wasn't having fun.

cleveland408

Registered
Apr 12, 2014

I hate playing on a team with only two lines. Not enough recovery time for me. I think three lines are perfect.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I play in a league at Euless Texas, and one thing I can't stand is guys thinking they're tough just because they play hockey on Saturday nights. We had a full scale brawl happen at the end of our game tonight because a guy on their team decided it would be a good idea to tackle one of our players. All hell broke loose, mid- 30s idiots were yelling at each other, so on and so forth. It was cringe worthy.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
It really all depends on the day and the game. Some days 2 lines is not enough and some days 3 lines is too many. If everyone is on the same page and knows how to really exert themselves you can run 3 easy, but it only takes one guy to screw it all up, including taking a couple of dumb penalties or taking long shifts.

I find that's related to how the game is going too. If you're running from the front and playing well everyone is changing, but if you're not, then some guys who possibly rate themselves a little too highly tend to stay out longer and longer. I have zero problem with guys doing this if they can deliver, but too often it's either guys that can't deliver or the guys who can deliver run out of legs and it ends up being counter productive. You've still gotta play at both ends.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
It really all depends on the day and the game. Some days 2 lines is not enough and some days 3 lines is too many. If everyone is on the same page and knows how to really exert themselves you can run 3 easy, but it only takes one guy to screw it all up, including taking a couple of dumb penalties or taking long shifts.

I find that's related to how the game is going too. If you're running from the front and playing well everyone is changing, but if you're not, then some guys who possibly rate themselves a little too highly tend to stay out longer and longer. I have zero problem with guys doing this if they can deliver, but too often it's either guys that can't deliver or the guys who can deliver run out of legs and it ends up being counter productive. You've still gotta play at both ends.

Completely agreed.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Our team started the season 1-4-0 with some close losses to teams around the same skill level as us and a pretty big loss to the traditional top team in the league. We turned it around with 2 wins over the team that was in first place (but aren't actually all that good and have probably the worst goalie in the league) and another team that is traditionally in the top 4. Now that team we just beat is complaining about us on Twitter that we're ruining the league and getting ringers. It wasn't a problem when they were finishing the season with a goal differential of +66 in 14 games. I don't get why teams can't take a loss in this league without accusing teams of bringing ringers.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I hate playing on a team with only two lines. Not enough recovery time for me. I think three lines are perfect.

We've got three forward lines and two defensive pairings, which has worked well for us. On defense I like to play half the game and get into a rhythm, but our forward group seems to prefer the extra recovery time. I think in general playing forward is more demanding.

Boot

Oct 20, 2010

That sounds awful. Even down in our entry level never put on skates before leagues we run 2 lines. Sorry to hear that man. The one team I know of that's got a lot of people on the roster (16ish) absolutely hates it when everyone shows up.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013

For the lower level leagues where you can glide around a bunch, I agree with this, it's nice to get more ice. One of my teams is a higher level league where most of the guys played college/juniors/minors and my team always has 15 skaters and a goalie. It's good to be able to roll three lines and keep the shifts short when you're really going when you're out there.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Team had a really rough game tonight. First 2/3 we barely tested the goalie and ours let in some real weak ones. It was a 4-goal deficit. Overall we didn't help him get a clear view of any of those shots. The last 1/3 of the game, we really piled it on and came back within 1, almost tying it twice in the last 30 seconds or so. I had a bunch of great passes to a guy at/near the crease, but no luck. I had just a goal which was a rebound off my own breakaway. Glad that went in because the goalie stoned me a few times prior!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->